CBR1100XX.org Forum

Bird Won't Run

JB4XX

did you have to last time with the last code?

I am so worried about your wiring,, check the wire from the tank to the plug back by the battery,,,

I hooked up the stock FPR, took the FMU out of the loop, still did the same thing.

Pulled the fuel rail, turned the key on to see if I had an injector sticking open and dumping fuel...NO

It has a lot of fuel in there though, could be from a very poorly timed XX not firing right???

I started assembling my other project to get away from the turbo XX for now..

:icon_biggrin:

post-1465-1248664926.jpg

post-1465-1248664941.jpg

I hooked up the stock FPR, took the FMU out of the loop, still did the same thing.

Pulled the fuel rail, turned the key on to see if I had an injector sticking open and dumping fuel...NO

It has a lot of fuel in there though, could be from a very poorly timed XX not firing right???

I started assembling my other project to get away from the turbo XX for now..

when you get the fuel cleaned out of the oil and cylinders, do you have a timing light?

Nope, my father in law probably does.

Going to confirm TDC then check everything out again.

Pics from dis assembly.

post-1465-1248669347.jpg

post-1465-1248669595.jpg

post-1465-1248669638.jpg

post-1465-1248669677.jpg

post-1465-1248669729.jpg

The first pic tell the story???

not really, but, the next one does, oh wait not really. keep turning,,,,more ,,,,now line the crank and the marker,,,, good, now does the balancer line up ,,,, It does, good, the crank marker is good, and not screwed...so what do the cams look like,,,180 off, yep, well that happens, so need to set them back like they were to begin with.....!!!!!

I'm gonna have a drink..any body else???

Pics of what it was when opened up...

Can you tell which plugs came out of 1 and 4?

I did check TDC with long screwdriver too...

post-1465-1248748595.jpg

post-1465-1248748611.jpg

post-1465-1248748631.jpg

post-1465-1248748645.jpg

post-1465-1248748664.jpg

post-1465-1248748694.jpg

post-1465-1248748711.jpg

post-1465-1248748731.jpg

post-1465-1248748784.jpg

post-1465-1248748798.jpg

I had it one tooth back..but if you look at the book, I think it looks like I might be right.

I have not started bolting the cams down for that reason though Stand/Tim/Dean...etc...

Look at page 8-23, second picture up from bottom...the cam line is lined up perfect with the top of the head.

yes it does look like the book, but there is a line, and I can't see it, but not being bolted down and the cct too. but it has to be very close.

Sounds like you got it under control.

Well, I think you are beyond the temperature thing, but for the record, if the engine gets above about 240 it starts blinking and above ~250 or ~255 it shuts down. Good luck Josh.

shit you home???

Well, I think you are beyond the temperature thing, but for the record, if the engine gets above about 240 it starts blinking and above ~250 or ~255 it shuts down. Good luck Josh.

Another reason it wouldnt run when first put together.

I have two sets of plugs coming from sparkplugs.com, I have the oil drained and the plugs pulled out letting the engine vent out any fuel it has pooled up anywhere.

Another reason it wouldnt run when first put together.

I have two sets of plugs coming from sparkplugs.com, I have the oil drained and the plugs pulled out letting the engine vent out any fuel it has pooled up anywhere.

P.S>if you need a place to sleep on the way home, stop by!

Damn I love these mechanical topics.

Learning tones of stuff...

Keep up the good work :icon_thumbsup:

I’m in awe...

Installed the cams.

Installed some newer plugs out of the quad motor until my new ones get here tomorrow.

Installed new oil.

Installed new oil filter.

Pulled valve cover off spare motor, installed pair block offs.

Installed new battery

Turned motor over without coils and fuel pump to get oil run through motor.

Plugged in coils and wires, plugged in fuel pump.

Hit the starter.

Fired right up.

It has a miss around 1500rpm, noise that could be valve noise or could be exhaust headers not installed real well. Miss is prevalent right at 1500, makes a miss sound or some other odd sound at the top of rev band when popped up to 6k or more too. I may need to move that exhaust cam back one tooth?

This thread is what makes this board so great.

It's not over yet, but thanks to everyone who has posted or called me.

:icon_cool:

Going to listen again for the miss and possibly open her back up this afternoon.

Stan mentioned it looked like I was one off on the exhaust cam.

I think it matches the book on page 8-23

Here is a picture of Redbird's cams and it has me wondering if that might be causing the miss.

:icon_confused:

53790986.jpg

Do compression check.It is quite possible valve(s) got bent during previous,,,,,,,ah,,,,, experiments.

No,I refuse to look at your pics of cam sprockets. :icon_evilgrin:

Honestly,if that is turbo motor cams be dialed in,I don`t think standard timing is what you`d wanna run anyway.

APE makes adjustable sprockets,about 60 bucks IIRC,or you can make slots with drumel,but they are had like diamond.