CBR1100XX.org Forum

Chain cleaner suggestions.

Zero Knievel

I normally just use kerosene and a rag. I have an old jelly jar I keep my cleaning rag in, but kerosene does not transport that well. What o-ring safe cleaner is cheap, preferably in a small can, and does the job of cleaning gunk off a chain? I'd suspect WD-40, but I wasn't sure.

Keep lubing it and clean it when you get home! It will be good for 6K.

+1 no need to clean a chain beyond vanity (not judging, I clean mine, too- when at home).

But WD40 works fine.

I had a gold chain on my XX. I'd clean each of the outer links with a rag and WD then lube it...then just wipe the excess off the outer link portion so it was nice and shiny.

Kind of like spending 6 hours cleaning the Concours today after a 500 mile ride this weekend.

I carry a cotton terry shop towel in a ziplock bag.

Throw it on the center stand after a ride and it will clean easily. At least with Honda Lube.

10 -15 minutes tops, spray on some lube and have a cold beer.

Ready for the next days ride.

I know I could do the whole trip without cleaning, but if enough gunk gets on (dirt/dust), it's nice to give it a quick once over to get the crud off. That's why I pack a oil rag. I thought WD-40 would work. I'll pick up a small can of it for the kit.

You can also go 30k miles without cleaning a chain... Just don't use the JP1 stuff... EVERYTHING sticks to it!

Just use a good chain lube, like the Honda stuff, or apparently the Du-Pont stuff you get a Lowes is good, too...

Mike

You can also go 30k miles without cleaning a chain... Just don't use the JP1 stuff... EVERYTHING sticks to it!

Just use a good chain lube, like the Honda stuff, or apparently the Du-Pont stuff you get a Lowes is good, too...

I have an automated chain oiler. It runs straight 30 weight oil. I just like to wipe down the chain every now and then to get the dirt off.