CBR1100XX.org Forum

Fork wiggle question

OMG

Without taking them apart and looking, I'm wondering what causes this phenomena.

With the wheel off I cam move the fork sliders forward and back about half a mm - sideways about 1 mm. Not much but enough to know there is something worn enough to allow movement.

Anyone know what I need to order and a good online source?

I bought the bike with a race-teck kit. valved for a heavier rider. I'll be changing shims. seals and boots as well as installing stem bearings just as PM. I have the stem bearings and seals from All-Balls, just wondering

I assume you mean that you can move the fork leg relative to the fork tube the indicated amount. That's not a huge amount of play, but I can appreciate you wanting to correct it.

"I'll be changing shims. seals and boots"

If by shim you mean the bushing that the fork tube slides in, then that's your culprit. You'll probably find the old ones worn down to the copper in a pattern.

I generally get them from RonAyers.com and you should know that they are different from early (carbed) to late model (FI) bikes. Forks interchange, so if you're not sure of the DNA of your bike, check it out closely first.

Definitely, put in new inner and outer fork bushings. They aren't that expensive and you're already in there.

If you let them get too worn, you may have difficultly getting the forks apart. As in, they won't come apart. Unless you destroy the lower tubes.

If you search "fork lowers", you might find my old thread on this.