CBR1100XX.org Forum

Brakes; best "Bang for the Buck"

ROXX

Agreed. Like changing from standard to power brakes. Just watch it for the first week until you get used to them. They also work well when wet, unlike a lot of high performance pads.

Are they hard on rotors?

warping?

wear issues?

Bleed the brake lines. All my Hondas had some air in the lines even when new. You may feel like you installed SS lines.

I have a theory that the main effect of changing to SS lines or HH pads is you get the air out of the system.

My low cost method to bleed the brakes:

Wait for a dry day as the fluid will absorb water from the air.

If you are going to change the fluid, get a big can of fresh fluid, some clear fuel line, and a turkey baster.

Take the turkey baster and remove the fluid from the master cylinder. Fill with new fluid.

Pour slowly and do not create bubbles. If you do get some, wait till they pop. Don't shake the can of fluid.

Work the lever and watch for bubbles. I had a good sized one. You may want to empty the master cylinder again to remove dirt.

Attach the hose to one bleeder at a time with the hose going up above the slave cylinder and into a waste bottle (I use an old water bottle).

The fluid should drain from the master down through the slave and up into the waste. Don't let the master get dry or you have to start over.

Once the fluid runs clear pump some fluid through to remove any last air bubble and close the bleeder.

After a week or so do a mini bleed. Attach the hose and bottle, open the bleeder, and pump a little fluid through. Watch for bubbles.

Agreed. Like changing from standard to power brakes. Just watch it for the first week until you get used to them. They also work well when wet, unlike a lot of high performance pads.

Are they hard on rotors?

warping?

wear issues?

In short...

no

no

no

I luv 'em. They're not very dirty, either.

+1 on EBC HH

Went from Honda OEM to EBC HH on my 'bird and the difference was amazing.

Put stainless lines on my VFR750 a few weeks back and the feeling is much more precise, but it doesn't match the improvement that the EBCs made on the 'bird.

Just got 'new' rotors and EBC HH pads for my VFR750, we'll see what EBCs + ROTORS + SS Lines + Bleed feels like :)

PS. Shop for them on ebay, you can get them about 30-50% cheaper than retail.

I have ABE petal rotors in the front galfter in the rear, de linked, am running rc51 calipers with ebc hh pads, all braided lines and rc51 master cylinders.!

I ordered EBC Extreme Pro brake pads and they're backordered due to EBC moving their warehouse or something.

I'm hoping these will offer some advantage over the standard HH's on the street since they were more money.

I ordered EBC Extreme Pro brake pads and they're backordered due to EBC moving their warehouse or something.

I'm hoping these will offer some advantage over the standard HH's on the street since they were more money.

Lotta track day guys and club racers are using the Extreme Pro's.

I tried a set of Carbone Lorraine SB5's and while good, I'm not overwhelmed.

I really like DP R pads but they aren't manufactured for the BB's.

Curious as to your reaction to the EP's when you get them...Hank

I have to add another vote for the EBC HH pads. I haven't tried any other brands, other

than the OEMs that cam on the bike, but the HH pads are worlds better than OEM. They

bite hard and right now. Very good stopping power, IMO. They've been on for 15k

miles and I don't see any undue wear on the rotors, so I don't think they are any harder

on the rotors than the OEMs.

OK, so I have been riding around for a few days now with both EBC HH pads and stainless lines on my VFR750. All I can say is WOW! :icon_biggrin:

The response is so sharp that I have almost locked it up a few times already, I'm having to re-learn how to brake on the VFR! :icon_rolleyes:

Switched back to the 'bird this morning (with EBC HH but no SS Lines) and again, the HH pads make a huge difference, but I underestimated how much precision the SS lines bring to the table.

The LBS makes it a little more complex on the 'bird, but I think the combination of EBC HH pads and SS lines should make an incredible difference to braking.

Just my 2c

I have ABE petal rotors in the front galfter in the rear, de linked, am running rc51 calipers with ebc hh pads, all braided lines and rc51 master cylinders.

I have ZX14 stock rotors, calipers, and master cylinders with Spiegler stainless lines. So there. :icon_biggrin:

I know one thing about the EBC HH pads. When I 1st put them on and took a ride around the block and just touched the brakes, I thought I forgot to put the pads in .......sounded like a lathe working on my rotors.

But they are great. Even my son could not fade them at Deals Gap.

Installing pads gets the air out of the system? :icon_scratchhead:

Beyond that, I agree making sure your brakes are well bled is definitely a good idea.

Installing pads I open the bleeders to compress the slave cylinders. So indirectly, installing pads gets the air out.

When you make two changes at once, you can't measure the effect of each.

Having simply replaced pads without opening the system, I can tell you the EBC HH pads make a huge difference with no second change clouding the issue.

Having simply replaced pads without opening the system, I can tell you the EBC HH pads make a huge difference with no second change clouding the issue.

I agree having done the same thing. One other strange thing that I don't understand why is: just by pushing the pads back into the bores, the brakes will feel better for a little while. Try it.