CBR1100XX.org Forum

Custom Built Exhaust (Question)

Speed99

Has anyone here ever custom built their own exhaust system. Pipes....cans....everything?

I have an idea for an exhaust project, but have absolutely no clue what needs to be inside the exhaust can to make it work properly. My idea would require a small canister with a fairly small diameter. I know this will affect performance also, but figure (maybe stupidly) that a PCII could be used to smooth out problems if there are any.

OK, after reading that, I think you need a little more detail. I recently saw an after market exhaust for the R1 that fed the pipes up under the seat and the exhaust tip replaced the taillight. Pretty bad ass looking. I was thinking about something similar for the Bird that would feed the pipes inside the tail section. Essentially, High Pipes that are virtually totally hidden by the rear cowl. As you can imagine, they would need to be smaller and the heat would be an issue. I am (perhaps naively) beyond the "it can't be done stage," so I am looking for advice....ideas...help.

Crude Picture...but just to get an idea.

Redirect the pipe up into the bodywork...hide the cans....exhaust tip comes out the butt. Somthing like this:

fa62bdd9.jpg

I did see an example of a custom undertail on an XX. I'll see if I can dig it up for you.  

It's somewhere on this page. Sorry my dialup is too slow to try and pic it out. J

http://gallery.superblackbird.info/

Sweet...thanks beag! I would like to keep the dual exhaust and hide the cans in the side of the rear cowl like a squirrel with a nut in each cheek. :grin: (Kinda makes me picture Dave when I really think about it.)

Hey I have an idea................Put an R1 tail on the XX, that would look soooooooooooooooooooooo cooooooooooooooooool! :wink: and and you could prolly do over 210mph!

seriously though theres a XX in sweden??? with an under/in tail pipe I saw on the euro site a long time ago. It did look very sweet but did use a different tail/subframe.

The ad I saw for the R1 solution said it used Cool Ceramic technology...or something like that. If that is the route we would need to take, then I would imagine the cost goes WAAAAAYYYY up! :grin:

As far as melting goes.....how are the bike companies getting around that with the new exhausts sitting under the tail right up against everything? (CBR1000 and VFR for example)

I'm on this already.....have been for almost a year now.

The issues to deal with are clearances.....everywhere. You can't run a pipe up the chain side because of the chain/guard.....there just simply isn't enough room, so it has to come from a 4-2-1 header.

Then there's the issue of sneaking it between the tire and the battery tray compounded further if you want to put a Y-pipe in there to split to 2 small cans. You could use a small muffler with a single inlet and dual outlet .....assuming you want dual outlets (single would look like crap IMO- see 600rr or 1000rr). If you find one of these mufflers that fit inside a 3.5"x8"x12" space, certainly let me know.

Then there's the suspension travel issue that affects all of this stuff. There isn't much room under there to fit the cans/muffler. Of course, if you plan on exiting out where the tail light is, then you will have to give up the passenger seat permanently, but that would provide more room.

Then there's the heat-shielding issue..........Obviously you willl need to prevent the heat from melting everything including your ass. Ceramic coating on the pipes combined with carbon fiber shielding might do the trick. We'll see..............

Then there's the issue of all of the electronic stuff that is located in the tail.

You need to find a new home for it where it will stay cool.

Sounds like fun, huh? :shock: :grin:

Were you talking about this one Jerry ?

arno13.jpg

arno.1.jpg

arno5.jpg

That is the R1 tailsection on the bike....

I saw the YZF1000 with the 916 tail on it and the pipes under it.....

Another one is the BMW R1100S and these people may have what you'd need:

www.texasfairing.com

They have pipes thet look bit like the F4 MV Augusta.....

Cheers,

I like the custom aspect of that yellow bike and the detail/work that's been put into it, but I don't like the R1 tail on the 'bird. To me it just doesn't match the rest of the bodywork giving it an unbalanced look. It looks like it belongs on............a R1.

K-TOOL, I saw that photo a few months ago and it almost ruined it for me. Fortunately, it's just a really bad photochop job.

I decided to stick with the XX tail and have the pipes exit under the tail light so that I can retain the passenger seat. The one-piece tail in the photo will be swapped out for the stock tail w/ seat cowl that is on the 'bird in the foreground.

I know, it's not too original (Ducati, anyone?) but I've always loved the exotic look of the Italian bikes and wanted to to try to add a little of that flavor to the 'bird........ Besides, I get really bored over the winter.

20031258274687295310918.jpg

OK....back on topic.

Here is a thought and I only preface it with the fact that I mentioned previously that I have no knowledge of exhaust.

My original thought is to run the exhaust as mocked up in the picture. My initial thought is to hide them in the rear cowl to the LEFT and RIGHT of the seat frame, but inside the body work. Cut holes in the body work for a custom slashed exhaust tip. My picture above looks like I have them UNDER the seat, but I would actually run the NEXT to the seat.

Some of the problems are clearance....canister size (can't be too big...must be small actually).....heat, etc.

So....

Space: What is the major difference between the exhaust we run with the big cans and the exhaust on a Harley that are straight pipes? Internal baffles? If so, what if I were to go with a straight pipe-ish type set-up? If it could work, this would solve the size problem. Thoughts?

Heat: Ceramic coat and shield the set-up.

Clearance: I honestly do NOT think this will be an issue based on where I propose to run the pipes. The pipes would enter the rear cowl on either side on the OUTSIDE of the swingarm.

Imagine the pipes exitting at the same spot as the tear drop turn-signals:

arno13.jpg

Rick,

I see what your looking for now.

exhaust on a Harley that are straight pipes

That would be trick. Some slash pipes coming out the back of the cowling would look awsome. I saw an R1 w/ that type of pipe that exited at the bottom of the bike near the rear tire. Looked good and sounded great. I dont think that there was much of a baffle in them though. The guy said he had it tune and it didnt affect the bike a whole lot.

size (can't be too big...must be small

Trust me thats not a problem...........OH wait you were talkin about the pipes. Yea..... yea, they cant be to big either. :wink:

Rick,

Anything is possible if you're willing to put the time/work into it.

Even though you are planning to run the pipes outside of the swingarm, you have to take into consideration the space that your foot occupies there. When the balls of your feet are on the pegs, your heel extends past the heel-plate not leaving much room for the pipe to snake between your foot and the passenger peg bracket. If you remove the pass. peg brackets you could probably snake the pipe up through that area with minimal cutting of the cowl....but it would be very tight (between the frame rail and the plastic).....of course, you'll have to relocate your rear master cylinder reservoir on the right side and the wiring harness and reg/rec on the left.

It looks to me like there is enough room under the bodywork to run the pipes along the outside of the subframe rails, so I think what you've got in mind is do-able. The only real issue would be to keep from melting the plastic and heating the frame rail enough to cause damage elsewhere. You're on the right track with the ceramic coating and shielding, but you'll also have to cut the body back far enough from the pipe at the entry/exit to avoid melting it. With the pipes entering at the pass. peg bracket area, and exiting just on either side of the tail light, there will only be about 18" max. that will actually go under the body.........that is, if I understand you correctly.

If you do remove the passenger peg brackets permanently, that means no passengers, ever. This gives you the liberty of modifying the sub-frame, making the possibilities endless as far as how you want to run the exhaust under there.......the only limitation being tire clearance and of course enough support for you, the exhaust and the tail.

The straight pipe (even with a baffle) will be loud as hell, but if that doesn't bother you at all, then go for it.

K-TOOL, is this the R1 exhaust that you saw?

1-640.jpg

YUP, dat be da one. Where did you get that pic from? The bike looks so clean not having any exhaust up high. As for the sound, it wasnt as loud as you think it would be. Definitley a unique exhaust note though. But I only heard it at idle w/ the throttle blipped just a little.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...