CBR1100XX.org Forum

FI light ON, no fault memory, what's wrong?

hotdogpork

I'll try to list down the sequence of things that happened.

I was low on fuel, so went to the fuel pump to fill up with gas. It says 95 octane on the pump, the kind I usually pump, I've used this station many times before.

After that, was riding for about 10 - 15 mins and noticed that FI light was on, so I took it slow and kept revs below 3k rpm.

I went to complain to the gas station manager that perhaps their gas was contaminated or something, bought a bottle of STP octane booster and poured 3/4 into my fuel tank, same thing, no difference.

I went home, checked the manual, and started the bike in neutral with side stand down. The FI light did not blink (does this indicate no fault memory?)

I started riding it and the FI light doesn't come on till I hit about 3000rpms and above, then it stays on.

When I turn it off and on again, no fault memory again.

I'm thinking it's bad gas, and I'll find out soon once I finish up this tank of gas. I intend to ride it slow and try to keep it at 3k or below rpms till I can pump a fresh tank of gas and try again.

Any idea what the problem with my bike is, anyone?

ground connection on the frame.

think you need to jump the fi light connector in the trunk...by the tail light connectors,,,,brown one. to get the fi light to work...the code.

ground connection on the frame.

think you need to jump the fi light connector in the trunk...by the tail light connectors,,,,brown one. to get the fi light to work...the code.

hey, thanks. i tried to find my connector in the trunk but no luck finding it. I read the shop manual and it says if the engine can start, to start it with the side stand down and in neutral and the FI light will blink if there's a fault memory, so i think the connector is for the case when the bike won't start?

i tried revving the engine past 3k rpm in neutral and it kinda cuts out, like hitting a rev limiter. was thinking could bad plugs cause this as well? or is it bad gas?

With the symptoms you are describing, it sounds like a bad throttle position sensor.

When you first noticed the FI light, was the engine running bad? i.e. would not run over 3K RPM?

It's in the rubber boot that the tail lights plug ito the wire loom. brown with two connectors.

I still have no luck finding the connector although I looked all over the trunk area, even dug up the ECM to have a look underneath.

However, I've managed to get the fault code. Strange, I followed the manual and turned ignition off, on, start bike on side stand, no FI blinks.

However, if I ride the bike till the FI light comes on, then put it to idle on side stand, the fault code comes out.

25 blinks - knock sensor or ECM faulty. Praying it's the knock sensor and not the ECM.

I've heard a lot of guys in my country having this 25 blink problem, is this a known common fault of the bird, with the knock sensor going bad? Do a lot of you guys in the UK get this problem also?

Any idea what causes the knock sensor to kaput? Is it a wear and tear piece of hardware with a known service life?

Thanks!

Maybe this is off topic,,,,but is there a reason you are running 95 when the bike only requires 87? It really is just wasted money unless there is something i don't understand about your country's gas.

Does the bike run ok? What happens when the FI light comes on?

Maybe this is off topic,,,,but is there a reason you are running 95 when the bike only requires 87? It really is just wasted money unless there is something i don't understand about your country's gas.

Singapore uses ROM octane ratings, not (RON+MON)/2 as we do here in the states. RON is a higher numerical value, hence the 95. I believe the XX requires 91 octane RON gasoline.

Hotdog....check your battery grounds as has been mentioned, and also check your charging system output.

Singapore uses ROM octane ratings, not (RON+MON)/2 as we do here in the states. RON is a higher numerical value, hence the 95. I believe the XX requires 91 octane RON gasoline.

Hotdog....check your battery grounds as has been mentioned, and also check your charging system output.

thanks for the RON octane stuff, people always ask me that and I don't know how to answer...hehe

does a bad battery ground give this fault code? i'm an electrical idiot, so if someone doesn't mind educating me, I'll be very grateful. TIA!

• 1 month later...

Hi.

I'm 90% sure what is your problem. Look at this thread:

http://www.cbrxx.com/honda-cbr-xx-resource...-light-fix.html

I had the same problem with the FI light, until I did the job. It's not a hard work to do, maybe 1.30 hours and if you have "good hands" you can do it yourself.

To remove that unsless conector do not affect the moto behaviour at all. That was a conector used inmediately after assembling the bike, to chek that all was OK.

Sorry about my English.

Regards

Tell me if the photos of the link does appear to you. Otherwhise I try to post them here.