CBR1100XX.org Forum

Speedo and Odo Pickup

Boov

I put a 18T sprocket on my bike and the speedometer is virtually perfect. I assume the pickup for it is somewhere on the final drive side of the transmission. Is this the pickup for the odometer as well? I want some accurate milage recording for a trip.

Do you have a GPS?

Yes I do. I'm just curious how the instrumentation ties into the driveline. My XX is my first bike that didn't have the speedo come off the front tire.

Do you have a GPS?

Yes I do. I'm just curious how the instrumentation ties into the driveline. My XX is my first bike that didn't have the speedo come off the front tire.

OK, sorry, I didn't understand the phrasing I guess.

There is a sensor on top of the transmission that counts pulses from some shaft. I think it uses the Hall effect. I have not been able to find out how many pulses per mile the BB generates.

Do you have a GPS?

OK, sorry, I didn't understand the phrasing I guess.

There is a sensor on top of the transmission that counts pulses from some shaft. I think it uses the Hall effect. I have not been able to find out how many pulses per mile the BB generates.

IIRC the sensor reads on 2nd or 3rd gear (I know it has 28 teeth). If you can calculate the number of output shaft rotations for top gear in one mile, just multiply that by 28.

I had to program my data logger on my drag bike with this info so I could read wheel speed. It is almost dead nuts on when compared to the trap speeds on my time slips.

Your 18t front sprocket brings the speedo very close to dead on. Unfortunately, the odometer is essentially correct with the 17t sprocket...just to underscore the purposeful error built into the speedo circuit. So with the 18th you'll find that its no longer so far to grandma's house, and your gas mileage has gone all to shite....at least according to the odometer.

Your 18t front sprocket brings the speedo very close to dead on. Unfortunately, the odometer is essentially correct with the 17t sprocket...just to underscore the purposeful error built into the speedo circuit. So with the 18th you'll find that its no longer so far to grandma's house, and your gas mileage has gone all to shite....at least according to the odometer.

I was trying to figure out what happed to my mileage... Thanks!