CBR1100XX.org Forum

Oilpan Removal

kkfast

I'm replacing the oilpan on my '03 Blackbird. I won't go into the details of how I punched a hole in it but let's just say I crashed.

At first it looked like I could remove the bolts and slide it out to the left side. Not that simple. Is there a trick to it? Maybe just loosen the exhaust a bit or will I have to remove the exhaust completely?

Time to take a break for the day.

Thanks - Krister

I had to replace pan recently due to ,,,,,,,,,overtighten bolt.( when you are too cheap/lazy to put new washer from time to time it happens :icon_redface: )

Anyway,I had to drop headers ( full Yosh).I did not take closer look whether it was possible without removing pipes but I wanted to make sure that new pan is sealed properly ( I went gasketless).

If only there was some sort of book that contained all the information a person would need to know in order to accomplish specific mechanical tasks....

if there was such a book in existence, and I'm not saying there is for sure, I bet it would say you have to loosen the radiator mount bolts to move it out of the way so you could get to the exhaust header for removal. Then changing an oil pan would be relative easy. And if I were writing this book I'd put this information is chapters 2 and 5.

If only there was some sort of book that contained all the information a person would need to know in order to accomplish specific mechanical tasks....

Or, one could try to contact N1k for some first hand advice. :icon_biggrin:

Or, one could try to contact N1k for some first hand advice. :icon_biggrin:

I miss that big teddy bear :icon_cry:

I unbolted my header from the block so I could drop it down out of the way. I left the rest of the exhaust connected. I think there are a couple bolts underneath that need to be removed to allow it to drop down. I didn't really save much by leaving the rest of it together but it was easier to put back on that way and I didn't have to find a place to set my cans where they wouldn't get scratched. There are definitely some bolts you cant get to unless you remove/drop the header.