CBR1100XX.org Forum

Cutting the windshield on a Gold Wing

slowrideCX

A friend of mine has an 07 wing that he would like to cut 2" off the top of the wind shield. Does anyone have any tips on how to do this?

Or has anyone tried this with success or failure? :icon_think:

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Never cut a windshield before but I have cut Plexiglas. Dremel with a cutting disk and lots of water to keep the windshield cool. If you jam it at all it will crack the windshield so go very slow and steady.

Best method likely is to mark the line you want to cut. Make small cuts from the top down to the line ever inch or two. Then make the cut along the line, this way small pieces will come off and it is less likely to jam. Then you will have to do some sanding to make the edge good.

I'd like just buy a smaller windshield as cutting it can be a pain.

He does realize that the Wing has an adjustable windscreen doesn't he? That might be an "Mr Obvious" statement, but hey, I thought I'd post it up........just in case.

He is about 6'3" and the top of the windshield is right at eye level when all the way down. he has to crouch down to get under it and would like to take about 2" off of it.

I told him to buy a smaller screen but he would like to cut it.

I've used a skill saw with a narrow hacksaw blade and it works fine. Just take it slow. Draw a line where you want to cut the screen, place masking tape on either side of that line to prevent scratching, and go for it. Afterwards, a die-grinder with 150 grit paper will sand the edges smooth.

I've used a skill saw with a narrow hacksaw blade and it works fine. Just take it slow. Draw a line where you want to cut the screen, place masking tape on either side of that line to prevent scratching, and go for it. Afterwards, a die-grinder with 150 grit paper will sand the edges smooth.

Thanks I will pass on the info.

Masking Tape and a fine tooth Band saw works the best, this keeps the blade cool, and vibrations constant so you don't crack it, after that Filling and Sanding the edges down is best, once again keeping things cool, by hand is best. Then there is the final step Polishing the edge... but one first has to know if it's Acrylic or Poly-Carbonate, because the processes are completely different.

Hope that helps.