DirtTorpedo

I pulled that little "stopping tool" out of my new

CCT before it was installed. I was just too damn

curious. Now I can't figure out how to reset the

tension thingy - it is all the way out and doesn't

want to go back.

Did I just fuck myself?

The good news is I hadn't started disassembling

the bird yet, so I still have the old rattly one in place.

You're fucked :sad: .

Just kiddin'-

Put the "key" back in far enough that that the larger portion doesn't engage the sides, but the center will engage a slot down there in the whole. It's a little tricky, but it can be done.

Now, while pushing in on the tensioner, rotate the key counter-clockwise, thus "rewinding" the tensioner. Once it's all the way in, push the larger portion of the key into the cross shaped slot- this will hold it in place until installed :wink:

If you've got a small enough screwdriver, you can use it to rewind the tensioner, then stick the key in there.

i did this too :shock:

if the cylinder 'exploded' outward, there's a chance it's kinda stuck, you just gotta screw with it, pushing, twistin, tapping and cussing and it will come back.

additionally, there's a spring clip that needs to be aligned at the beginning of the cylinder, hard to explain, but if try to find what might be locking the cylinder out, you should check that clip too. on my oem after i removed it, i found that clip misaligned.

i've got a 2002, ran it for 30k, changed the cct, and dont' detect any discernable difference between the 2 ccts. might be i'm lucky, might be the 2002 model? but i'm glad to have one in there now that has a rep for lasting a hell of a lot longer ;o)

if the key can't take the torque (is bending) then it's locked up.

if it's not locked up, the key will wind it up.

keep working at it, a skinny screwdriver won't help. I'll bet the little clip at the base of the cylinder is rotated slightly and preventing the barrel from turning and descending.

trust me, this happened to me, i bent the key, then tried an eyeglasses screwdriver... if it's locked it's locked and you gotta get it unlocked, like the cat in the hat Sam i aM

That's OK -

Joe sent me one - I opened the bag...

Found the Key - Pulled it out...

Locked it up - Lost the key...

DID THAT ALL IN 5 MINUTES...

Spent 1/2 an hour getting it unlocked w/ a paperclip that I bent using only my teeth - Pretty sure I chipped a tooth...

Got it reset and put it back in the bag - Still can't find the key...

Wrote an email to Joe chastising him for not telling me about the key...

Way too much excitement for one week - Gonna do the install next week.

if the key can't take the torque (is bending) then it's locked up.

if it's not locked up, the key will wind it up.

keep working at it, a skinny screwdriver won't help.  I'll bet the little clip at the base of the cylinder is rotated slightly and preventing the barrel from turning and descending.

trust me, this happened to me, i bent the key, then tried an eyeglasses screwdriver... if it's locked it's locked and you gotta get it unlocked, like the cat in the hat Sam i aM

I did the same thing...The right size screwdriver will do the trick. That little key they send you wont turn shit without twisting in half.

Trust me...get a small screwdriver...it will turn back

On the CBR e-mail list, when someone asks about certain tasks we ask them to rank their own mechanical ability on a 1-10 scale...

10 -- Can rebuild engine with a paperclip and hammer

1 -- Injures self with screwdriver on the way home from the parts shop

You guys shouldn't carry screwdrivers unless you have medical insurance... :devilfinger: