CBR1100XX.org Forum

Electric Pop...Then Dead Bird

Perky

Rode to my girlfriend's house today and all was fine. I went out to start the bike to move it into the garage. Turned the key and nothing. No lights, no fuel pump, nothing. After about 10 seconds, all the lights came on and the fuel pump came on. Hit the starter and then there was a pop from under the seat and everything shut down. I turned the key to the off position and then turned it back on. The same thing happened. Nothing at first, then after about 10 seconds everything comes on. Hit the starter, another pop and everything goes dead. My girl and I push it into the garage and I turn the key to the on position. Nothing happens. I try it again and this time the lights come on after 30 seconds and then the pop sound without hitting the starter. Now nothing comes on. Checked the battery, and the battery is fully charged.

I have been doing some routine maintenance the last few months, so here is a list of the things I have done.

1. New battery - 3 months ago

2. New sprockets - last week

3. New spark plugs - 2 weeks ago

4. Coolant change - last week

5. Oil & Filter change - last week

6. Air Filter change - last week

I don't think any of the things I have done would cause any of this. The battery might have been an issue, if I had just replaced it, but I've been running the bike for the last 3 months on this battery and I haven't had any issues at all.

Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks.

-Steve

take the seat off,,,turn off the shop lights,,,,close the door to the garage, so it is dark, and turn the key,,when the light come on hit the starter. Should see the flash, If it is not the battery terminals , more than likely the positive, so you will have to raise the cover over it, then it might be the ground connection to the front of the frame shock mount crossmember. Make sure that all three are clean and tight.

I have seen this happn when the ground connection at the frame is loose. Will have to raise the tank to see it.

Hope that helps

I have seen the battery terminals open inside the battery. You can even read a good voltage unloaded, but add a load and they open. I have even seed a few that were intermittant on car batteries.

If you have a meter, put it on the battery and measure with the key off, key on, and trying to start. Key off 13+ volts, key on 12.5 -13 volts, starting 10-12 volts.

If you don't have a meter, and you have tried what Stan said with the lights out, pull the battery and carry it to a auto parts store. They have meters that load the battery and can find most problems.

The bike is not even coming on now. Last night before I went to bed, I pulled the rear cowl, and tried it again. I put the key in and turned it to the on position, and nothing. No lights, no fuel pump, a completely dead bike. I moved the wires above the ECM in the rear of the bike, and the whole system came on. I hit the starter, and the same pop and everything went dead. I've been unable to get the bike to come back on since. The pop is coming from near the ECM on the right side of the bike. I don't know if it is the regulator/rectifier, the ECM, the tail light wires, or what. I've narrowed it down to the back of the bike. I will try what Stan said to do and see if I can locate the short, if the bike will come back on. I will check the ground connection as well tonight.

-Steve

The bike is not even coming on now. Last night before I went to bed, I pulled the rear cowl, and tried it again. I put the key in and turned it to the on position, and nothing. No lights, no fuel pump, a completely dead bike. I moved the wires above the ECM in the rear of the bike, and the whole system came on. I hit the starter, and the same pop and everything went dead. I've been unable to get the bike to come back on since. The pop is coming from near the ECM on the right side of the bike. I don't know if it is the regulator/rectifier, the ECM, the tail light wires, or what. I've narrowed it down to the back of the bike. I will try what Stan said to do and see if I can locate the short, if the bike will come back on. I will check the ground connection as well tonight.

-Steve

Check the bank-angle sensor and its connector. That would certainly shut everything down if it was bad.

Finally had the opportunity tonight to work on my bird. The bike came on again like normal, but as soon as I hit the starter, I heard the pop again and it all shut down. I removed the battery to check the terminals and I noticed the positive terminal was hot to the touch. I put the battery back in and turned the key on. Nothing. I moved the wires above the ECM again, and it came back on. I still had the cover off of the positive terminal and I watched it as I hit the starter. Sparks shot out from the positive terminal on the battery. That was my electrical pop. I pulled the battery out, and dropped my girls battery in and my baby started right up...my bike, not my girl.

It seems XX_Rider and Stan were right. Battery is bad. I don't know what caused the battery to go bad after 3 months, but I will be replacing it as soon as I can.

Just for my own knowledge, does any one know why sparks would come out of the positive terminal like that? The cables are in good shape, no corrosion on them at all. Connection is tight and solid. Battery is showing 12.67 volts on the volt meter. If any one knows why or thinks they know why, I would like to know. Thanks everyone for all the help.

-Steve