CBR1100XX.org Forum

2001 Surging at 1/8th throttle?

Obby

Hey guys, just running this buy you folks. My '01 is surging a little at about 1/8th throttle. The bike has 50k on it. Is this signs of the throttle bodies needing to be sync'd or maybe the valves needing adjustment? Just wondering if any of you have experienced this. Any help would be great.

Thanks,

Obbs

This is a new deal. The bike is mostly stock on the engine. Only a K&N and Dual Micron slipons. Rev range is typically under 4k when surging. The surging is more noticeable in the lower the rev. range. I do need to replace my chain and sprockets. I'm not sure that is the issue though. I did read about some folks having failing fuel pressure regulators at about my mileage (50k). No real firm conclusions that I read though. That's about all I can think of.

I have the new chain and spockets, I'll let you know if it's that simple.

-Obbs

BTW - My wife is still crashing everytime she is out trying to learn to ride her Ninja 500. I'm about to throw in towel at the whole deal. She bailed the MSF course early too, came home crying, geez. Maybe some people just can't ride??? Another subject I guess.

I do need to replace my chain and sprockets.

Bingo.

Regarding your wife- some people can't ride, really. I bought my wife a GS500 years ago, she never even got to crashing it, she was just too damn scared of it.

I do need to replace my chain and sprockets.

Bingo.

Regarding your wife- some people can't ride, really. I bought my wife a GS500 years ago, she never even got to crashing it, she was just too damn scared of it.

Ok, I'll have to get off my butt and swap out the chain and sprockets then. One question really quick, I have the 18T front (think that's it) I bought a while back here. Is that still a good idea? I do ride mostly highway/commute?

Crash:

Off subject again. Yeah, she said she is scared alright. Even on the Suzuki 250 she dropped for three days on the MSF course. I nicked named her Crash2much. I couldn't help but to laugh a bit with my friend about it. On the serious side, I don't want to see her get hurt. After all, her wrists fit between my thumb and forefinger :icon_eek: .

One question really quick, I have the 18T front (think that's it) I bought a while back here. Is that still a good idea? I do ride mostly highway/commute?

I sure like my 18T. I don't do any freeway commuting up here in the Sierra, but for me,

the 18T is a much better gear for mountain riding than the 17T. As long as you are changing

the chain anyway, now is a good time to swap out sprockets.

? When you say surging.... does this mean, A. It feels like some shut off the throttle ( fuel) and then a moment later turned in back on ?

Or B. Like it's costing for a half second, like you were going down hill and then started back up hill ?

In short.

A. is caused by your MAP, BARO, TPS, and ECU.

B. is caused by your right wrist and your chain.

BTW - My wife is still crashing everytime she is out trying to learn to ride her Ninja 500. I'm about to throw in towel at the whole deal. She bailed the MSF course early too, came home crying, geez. Maybe some people just can't ride??? Another subject I guess.

I have an Idea! :icon_biggrin:

:icon_twisted:

I have an Idea! :icon_biggrin:

:icon_twisted:

That.... and a Turbo would be pricelless. :icon_twisted:

My 02 started doing that around 40,000 miles. Tryed new chain sprockets etc to no avail. Finally took in to the shop. The fuel injector relay had stuck. They tapped it with a malet and freed it up. That was over a year ago and the bike has not had the problem since.

JR

My 02 started doing that around 40,000 miles. Tryed new chain sprockets etc to no avail. Finally took in to the shop. The fuel injector relay had stuck. They tapped it with a malet and freed it up. That was over a year ago and the bike has not had the problem since.

JR

fuel pump relay???

JR

fuel pump relay???

Not the fuel pump relay; the ECM. They didn't have a new one in stock (good thing their not cheap) so he tapped it with a malet and it worked. Hope that helps.

JR

fuel pump relay???

Not the fuel pump relay; the ECM. They didn't have a new one in stock (good thing their not cheap) so he tapped it with a mallet and it worked. Hope that helps.

There are no moving parts in the ecm, so must have been a connector into the ecm. No Pc? Have heard of the pc connections being intermittent. The only fuel injector relay is in the fuel injector. and I would not call it a relay but a electrocoil which a relay has.

I've been waiting to comment on this thread to see if there is something I missed. Picking up on subtle humor is not one of my strong points, so I'm not going to be surprised if I get laughed at for asking this question:

How the HELL can a surging problem be connected to a worn chain & sprockets????? :icon_duh:

How the HELL can you have been riding any amount of time and not experienced or heard of the effects that a tight spot in a chain can have on throttle response? :icon_duh:

Also, chains often wear unevenly, stretching more in some spots than others. You can watch a shagged chain bouncing all over the place due to this, This tends to have an effect on the driveline, and it can often feel like surging at certain RPMs.

How the HELL can you have been riding any amount of time and not experienced or heard of the effects that a tight spot in a chain can have on throttle response? :icon_duh:

Just lucky I guess. Been riding for 34 years.

Also, chains often wear unevenly, stretching more in some spots than others. You can watch a shagged chain bouncing all over the place due to this, This tends to have an effect on the driveline, and it can often feel like surging at certain RPMs.

I have been able to feel a "tight link" in a chain before when going under 50 MPH, but I wouldn't call it surging. I have witnessed the uneven wear you speak of, but only from rotating the wheel on the center stand. Chain will be tight in one position and then loose every where else. This was on my drag-bike so I'm not surprised I couldn't feel it. I usually put a new chain and sprockets on as soon as I notice a kinked link. Replacing engine cases is not something I ever want to do.

Ok guys, I just replaced the chain and both sprockets. Surging is gone. Turned out to be a badly worn front countershaft sprocket and a kinked link, witch I knew about, that was causing all the fuss. The XX is riding as smooth as a hooker on payday now :icon_boobies: .

Thanks everyone! Planning on a ride next weekend now. Too happy to explain.

Obbs

PS... Hammer to the ECU didn't work :icon_surprised: , tried that first of course :icon_rolleyes: .