CBR1100XX.org Forum

Posi-Lock(TM) wire splicers

Yeah, I've used them quite a bit actually on my VFR over past couple of years. Doped everything up with dielectric grease, fairly quick and dirty, and no problems. Still using a couple to splice into my tail light to power the relay for my aux fusebox on the Bird. You can also get them at Walmart, which made me think twice at first, but they seem to work fine. Biggest issue is the size of the actual connector that can sometimes present a challenge depending on the area you're working in and a nice frill is being able to unscrew them to disconnect the connection, if necessary...

I had a few come with things I bough but I tossed them all in the tool box. I'll solder and heat shrink over using connectors any day. Most electrical failures I've seen are ether the connector or the wire rubbing throw the coating. I know the solder and heat shrink will last the connectors I wouldn't trust for the long term.

My solder gun takes forever by time you get to 18 gadge. Not sure what watts it is, but is there on in particular that anyone would suggest.

If you only intend on using it for soldering wire and such get a good butane one. They heat up very fast and are cordless, not to mention high watts.

If you want to work on circuit boards its not a good choice. I have 4 different irons 99% of the time if I'm working on the car/bike electrical I've got the butane one.

My solder gun takes forever by time you get to 18 gadge. Not sure what watts it is, but is there on in particular that anyone would suggest.

If you only intend on using it for soldering wire and such get a good butane one. They heat up very fast and are cordless, not to mention high watts.

If you want to work on circuit boards its not a good choice. I have 4 different irons 99% of the time if I'm working on the car/bike electrical I've got the butane one.

Thanks, I've seen them but wasn't sure if they were too much. I will pick one up.

Posi Locks work great. They have tremendous connection strength are are pretty goof proof. You can buy marine versions for extremely wet applications, but, even the traditional ones do a very good job of keeping connections clean, especially if you put a touch of silicone on the ends. I have convinced a couple of my major fuel pump manufacturers to include them with the wire harness repair kits instead of the traditional butt splicers to greatly reduce comebacks due to poor connections. They also make add on fuse holders that come in very handy.