CBR1100XX.org Forum

Where do you mount your farkles?

Boov

I want a standard 12V outlet, but I can't find a clean place to put it. :icon_wall: Any descriptions, pictures, or ideas would be appreciated.

Also, what about a GPS mount? I have a Garmin 2720, which is pretty big. I bought the ram mount for it, but I can't decide what to anchor to.

Thanks

Most of my stuff is direct wired, via a wiring block and a relay. I do keep a power outlet, but it's under the seat, I use it for charging my cell phone in the event I need to on a road trip. I bought one that connects into the same plug that my battery tender uses.

I've got a 2730... Bought the RAM Mount from Cycle Gadgets for it, and mounted a RAM ball in the center stalk. Brett started a nice thread on this, I added some additional stuff to it:

http://www.cbr1100xx.org/forums/index.php?...1&hl=center

I also made a center stalk mount and did a "how to" with more details (based on advice from several board members)

http://www.cbr1100xx.org/forums/index.php?...11&hl=mount

I use it to support my GPS (Garmin 2720). So far, it's rock solid.

As far as power goes, I installed a 12v powerpoint under the seat. I got the kind that was just the socket w/splashproof cover and wires to connect to a battery. I picked up a inline fuse and just cut and spliced the thing together. Since it's not bolted down, I can tuck it wherever I need to. Not the most graceful thing in the world, but it does the job and works fine in the rain because water doesn't get under the seat. I don't use the GPS regularly enough to make it hard-wired into the bike.

I have my toys strewn randomly around my bike (some dragging behind it seems). I directly power via relay and aux fuse board most of my extras. However if I'm going to be bringing something on occation and don't want to hardwire, I have my charging plug up the front of my seat. I just plug a 12v outlet to the plug and then use whatever requires the 12v outlet (CB, iPhone charger, etc).

Also, if it matters, I've been working with another board member (Bartonmd) to develop a prototype relay switched power box. It's still in design phase. but the general idea is a similar device to the Centek power box with a built in relay and an inline power filter for your electronics.

• 2 weeks later...

I use a bomb proof mount from gadgetguy.It's a pinch bolt mount for clip-ons, and a switched dual relay kit w/2 powerlet sockets on both sides of the ignition from here.

GPS cradle Touratech

In addition to a switched fuse panel w/seperate ground block for hard wired stuff like voltmeter,grips,xm and radar.

Hobi, check out the fuse box in the 2nd link.

I bought one of these kits http://www.powerletproducts.com/product/lo...cket-kit-12/164

I then bought a hole-saw for the kit. I mounted it on the lower left hand side of the black panel. It's very easy to remove to drill it for the outlet. My battery tender along with my V1 both have the BMW style plug, so it was a match made in heaven.

I bought one of these kits http://www.powerletproducts.com/product/lo...cket-kit-12/164

I then bought a hole-saw for the kit. I mounted it on the lower left hand side of the black panel. It's very easy to remove to drill it for the outlet. My battery tender along with my V1 both have the BMW style plug, so it was a match made in heaven.

Got a picture?

Got a picture?

I'll take one when I get home and post it tomorrow.

The powerlet socket fits beautifully in the plastic panels between the small open area between the frame and the tank. You can also install one in the area where the lower dash surrounds halves meet at the bottom of the dash.

The left side of the tank location is excellent if you are plugging in an electric vest, as it keeps the cord out of the airstream and keeps it from flopping around in the wind and rubbing against the tanks finish. I can post some pics too, if it helps. The socket snugs up nicely against the standoff that is molded into the plastic panels.

Got a picture?

Picture004-1.jpg

Picture005.jpg

Picture006.jpg

I'm confused as to how that 12V location gives enough fork clearance to turn, when you have something plugged into it. I quickly eliminated that spot for the above reason.

I'm confused as to how that 12V location gives enough fork clearance to turn, when you have something plugged into it. I quickly eliminated that spot for the above reason.

The only thing that gets plugged in while the bike is moving is my V1, and I've never had an issue with anything hitting the plug.

Can't help with the mounting locations as I sold the Bird a while ago but if you are planning on adding an auxiliary fuse block this one puts the Centech models to shame: Fuzeblock FZ-1

It uses the same mini-blade fuses as the rest of the circuits on the bike.

It has a built-in relay

You can make each circuit either direct or switched power just by moving the fuses into different slots

It has a cover and is more water resistant than the Centech models and it has a flat bottom so you can attach it with Velcro to the bike.

It's a bit more pricey than the Centech units but I have it on my FJR and run my GPS, Driving lights, voltmeter, aux powelet socket for heated gear and garage door opener off it with no problems.

003_tn.jpg016_tn.jpg

You can install the plug port in one of the lower dash surround halves between the two push pins with the socket facing straight up. This should clear just about all straight power plugs going towards the control mounted farkles. The best routing of power supply cables for permanently mounted electronics would follow a path up underneath the tank along one of the frame rails, then up by the center fork tube, towards the bars. This would minimize the stretching/twisting/pinching of your power cables by offering the least amount of radial movement of the electrical wires. Just make sure you allow enough slack to account for full lock travel in both directions prior to wire tying the power leads down.

• 2 weeks later...

Is the 1" RAM Ball, (used for this mounting job) part # RAM-B-337U ? This part # is a hole hex, 1/4"-20 female threaded, with the 1" ball. I just want to make sure I order the right ball to use this mounting set-up that you guys custom made. Thanks, G

Is the 1" RAM Ball, (used for this mounting job) part # RAM-B-337U ? This part # is a hole hex, 1/4"-20 female threaded, with the 1" ball. I just want to make sure I order the right ball to use this mounting set-up that you guys custom made. Thanks, G

Was this the thread you were looking for?

http://www.cbr1100xx.org/forums/index.php?...hl=RAM+threaded