CBR1100XX.org Forum

Fi lights

greysnail

Hi all,been browsing the forum for quite sometime now and this is my 1st post.

My bike is a 01 Fi model,been having great fun with it til the Fi light came put which reads 25 blinks-knock sensor.

I have the manual and i've recently changed the main harness.I took a look at the loom on my old harness and its clean as a whistle.But my bike's Fi lite will stay on along the journey.Once i hit 3k on the RPM,the Fi lite will appear and will remain ON til the end of the journey.My mech says my ECU a goner..is it true.And yes the performance drop once the Fi appears.

Any kind soul to help me out.....Oh yeah...saying Hi from Singapore.

post-7947-1235543919.jpg

Just to be obvious.

Have you unplugged the ECM and reconnected it and see if it goes away? Sometimes a harness comes loose.

The other option is find someone with an 01 model and see if they'll let you switch out the ECM. If it goes away, you know it's your ECM. If it remains, something else is the cause.

I don't know how many 01 Blackbirds are in Singapore.

Just to be obvious.

Have you unplugged the ECM and reconnected it and see if it goes away? Sometimes a harness comes loose.

The other option is find someone with an 01 model and see if they'll let you switch out the ECM. If it goes away, you know it's your ECM. If it remains, something else is the cause.

I don't know how many 01 Blackbirds are in Singapore.

I've unplugged the ECM,check the KS but the problem still exist.

If i were to swap the ECM,would there be any issue with the HISS?

If no problem,then i'm willing to spend on a new ECM as i've chaged the main harness.

Your options are limited.

You can clean the connections with wire brush and contact cleaner. The knock sensor generates its own current, so its very little. The connections have to be very good. Also make sure the connections at the ECU are clean.

Make sure your battery is strong and the ground attachments are clean to the frame.

You can do the loom connector fix as documented here and on many other forums.

You can check for a used ECU at a breaker. The problem is that your ECU may be very different. I don't know where your bikes come from, but if it was a domestic Japanese bike, it may have a different ECU than one that came from Australia or Europe.

You might even try changing the knock sensor.

It is hard to diagnose at such distance. Especially when for some reason you have changed the main harness, but didn't say why.

I'm only guessing it's a 99-00 bike.

Mine has been giving me fits with that stupid FI light for years. I did the harness ground fix (search is your friend) completely rebuilt the back of the harness, everything else I can think of. I finally quit fucking with it at 50K and stuck a piece of electrical tape over the light. She's in retired status until I do a frame off, but I can tell you that it is most likely just a grounding issue. I have an idea to make redundant grounds thru the entire back harness into the frame until it goes away next time I tear into it.

There have been a number of people who have had this issue and it is one of the few issues that exist on this bike. It is no big deal, if you can ignore the light, IMHO. The computer is nothing more than a fancy DMM and it's only shooting trouble codes for what it determines based on the voltages it analyzes. If it runs fine, find a way to ignore the light. Otherwise, be prepared to work on it like it's a Harley.

Oh... Hi and welcome!

I remember a thread about the knock sensor where someone put a washer under the knock sensor to pull it farther out of the block. I guess it screws in. He did this to isolate a sensor that was too sensitive.

My question is could it really be detecting a knock. Old/bad gas? Fouled plugs?

Joe mentioned that the sensor generates it's own voltage. Could you put a scope on it and look for pulses. If I saw pulses with it disconnected from the harness, then I would look at sensor or real knocking. Never tried it, but I would think it could be done.

1st edit. did a search and found a dead link to knock sensor troubleshooting. Continued to find live link.knock sensor

Second edit. Thread where troubleshooting was discussed. Ron's knock knock thread

I bet Ron knows the answer now. I wish he was still with us to give the answer.

I remember a thread about the knock sensor where someone put a washer under the knock sensor to pull it farther out of the block. I guess it screws in. He did this to isolate a sensor that was too sensitive.

My question is could it really be detecting a knock. Old/bad gas? Fouled plugs?

Joe mentioned that the sensor generates it's own voltage. Could you put a scope on it and look for pulses. If I saw pulses with it disconnected from the harness, then I would look at sensor or real knocking. Never tried it, but I would think it could be done.

1st edit. did a search and found a dead link to knock sensor troubleshooting. Continued to find live link.knock sensor

Second edit. Thread where troubleshooting was discussed. Ron's knock knock thread

I bet Ron knows the answer now. I wish he was still with us to give the answer.

Thnx for the thread/link guys,done everything as above but still the same.

Does your wiring have the test connectors? Old and new? Analog gauges?

Check the ground connection to the frame on the front of the rear shock mount under the tank. Make sure it is tight and clean as in wire brushed both connector and frame. Maybe even coat in dielectric grease after cleaning. This connector is very important. But maybe not in your case. Also do the knock sensor connector. Any connection that you can get to use DG on. Bet it is wet there. Might do the switches on the bars to cover corrosion there too. Had it before, still do after the wiring change, almost has to be something else....

Check the ground connection to the frame on the front of the rear shock mount under the tank. Make sure it is tight and clean as in wire brushed both connector and frame. Maybe even coat in dielectric grease after cleaning. This connector is very important. But maybe not in your case. Also do the knock sensor connector. Any connection that you can get to use DG on. Bet it is wet there. Might do the switches on the bars to cover corrosion there too. Had it before, still do after the wiring change, almost has to be something else....

Wet connectors???Well i see some connectors are wet with oil especially those near the engine bay.Not sure whether its the cause.

Mine is a 2001 Fi digital dash by the way

Wet connectors???Well i see some connectors are wet with oil especially those near the engine bay.Not sure whether its the cause.

Wet as in "weather". Corrosion and such, in the switches contacts, and the wire loom connectors. But they should be sealed enough.

Why is there oil? Oily connectors can conduct electricity, the wrong way.

May have to put a new knock sensor.

Wet as in "weather". Corrosion and such, in the switches contacts, and the wire loom connectors. But they should be sealed enough.

Why is there oil? Oily connectors can conduct electricity, the wrong way.

May have to put a new knock sensor.

Hmmm,wet with oil...mebbe i'll clean-em up and see whether thats the cause..til then,wait for the result.Wondering where the oil come from...mystery....