CBR1100XX.org Forum

'97 Bird w/ issues...looking for suggestions

swampdonkey

Hi all...took the bike out yesterday following approx 3 months of rest. Ran fine into work which is about 20 or so miles. On the way home, about 2 miles from home, it began to hesitate at the lower rpm's. It did not stall but would really hesitate unless I kept the rpm's up there. Upon pulling into the driveway and let it idle for a bit, just to see if it would. I also caught the smell of fuel but nothing dripped onto the concrete.

Comments appreciated.

Btw, this is a '97 w/ around 21k on it.

Thanks!

Check the hose comimg off the top of the crack case, under the gas tank. I had a small crack in mine on my 98 and it started doing some what like yours........ If it's never been changed, change it.

When winter storing I always fill the tank, add Stabil, put her on the centre stand and hook her up to the battery tender. Then I ride out the stablized gas, add a tank of hightest, then go back to normal. It's been three months since the last ride, too cold, wet, snowy. Maybe in a week or so when it warms up. Cheers

Update

Drained fuel, added SeaFoam and new fuel, then started bike. Soon after firing up it began to hesitate while idling and when giving some throttle. Degraded to the point where it cut out and now she'll not start. Turns over and sound like it wants to but no go.

Here is an off the wall. Have you checked the air intake track to make sure no critters built a nest in there over the winter? Open up the airbox just to make sure.

Could the R/R be going and not giving the proper amount of juice to the plugs?

Did you note any gauge problems like jumping around ? Check the volts on your battery when the bike is running, you may have a R/R problem

Here is an off the wall. Have you checked the air intake track to make sure no critters built a nest in there over the winter? Open up the airbox just to make sure.

Could the R/R be going and not giving the proper amount of juice to the plugs?

........ beat me to it! :icon_thumbsup:

If its cranking ..esp w/out using a charger you likely have junked up carbs. Pull the plugs and see if there is any spark...if they are OK & your air intake is clear you have likely found your problem in the fuel delivery...

Would the carbs deteriorate that quickly, i.e. from running fine to not starting in a matter of 10 minutes of run time? Also, what is the r/r, a fuel regulator??

Plugs are pretty new, put in late last summer

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll spend some time w/ it this coming weekend.

Would the carbs deteriorate that quickly, i.e. from running fine to not starting in a matter of 10 minutes of run time? Also, what is the r/r, a fuel regulator??

Plugs are pretty new, put in late last summer

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll spend some time w/ it this coming weekend.

Building my bike, I was so excited having it together, that I would run it before I got the aircleaner, for a few min, to show people. Not having the IAT pluged in will make the fuel so rich that it will foul the plugs, in about ten mins. The FPR is on the right side of the fuel rail and has a return fuel line back to the tank, and a vacumn line, that will have fuel in it if it is bad. It will not foul as quick, but will. All fuel injected, not carbed.

Pull the plugs and see.

Plugged idle jets, are a bitch. And small deposits, old gas turns to varnish, would plug them quick. Plugs would be clean.

RR is the voltage regulator on the left side, most likely, but not always, fined. under the tail cowel. It regulates the voltage from the stator. Actually converts ac to dc. and regultes the voltage and amps to the battery. So checking the battery voltage might give you the answer. Check before tring to crank, then cranking. If it is below 11 cranking, batterys bad. Charge correctly first.