CBR1100XX.org Forum

Buying My First Bird - What To Look Out For

Boov

Tomorrow I'm going to be taking a look at a '99 that I want to buy.

I don't know a whole lot about Blackbirds yet, even though I've done a lot of bike work on other bikes.

What are the things that I should watch out for on a used bike?

Besides the obvious: water in the oil, running poorly, leaking stuff, etc.

Thanks,

Boov

These are pretty solidly built machines. There's a thread on here somewhere about folks talking about what parts of their birds needed replacing due to failure.

I think if you find it, you'll see some folks had their R/R fail, which inturn caused Stators or batteries to also fail. Others complain about the CCT, and the noise associated with the spring becoming slack over time. That's about all I can think of off hand, the motor and tranny are built to last. It is a Honda after all.

Good luck with your purchase.

What To Look Out For

Don't throttle to hard on the first ride.

You get what you wished for and then some more :icon_twisted:

I've never had any problem with stator or CCT, but R/R did break down.

My mistake, I let the bike idle too long. The OEM R/R doesn't have

cooling ribs and will overheat at prolonged idle.

FI bikes have a service plug that can corrode and cause intermittant problems. It was mounted low on the 99 and 00.

Supposed to be a easy repair, if you don't mind soldering.

Loom fix

Cam Chain Tensioner was weaker on the early bikes. One with two green painted dots on it is the newer one. Around $50.00 from John, and a 20 minute change out if needed.

01 got a bigger R/R, with better heat sinks. If yours fail, you can get a newer one or use one from ( i believe) a R1 that is cheaper.

Here is the differences link if you have not seen it.Year differences

Oh yeah, the 99 is not painted in the faster RED color. :icon_biggrin:

Cops....

Helmet sizes when your head swells with pride of ownership...

Tylenol, Advil, and aspirin for the sore muscles in your face from grinning too much while riding it...heck just from looking at it...

There might not be a bike out there built more stout than a XX, 8 years going on 9 and 65K later all I have any trouble with mine is keeping effing roofer's nails out of my tires.... :icon_razz:

Congrats and good luck. :icon_wink:

What To Look Out For

Our "welcoming" committee... hope you like Yuengling....

Crap, did I just make another thread NWS....??? No worries, I suppose Dave will be 'round soon... :icon_shifty:

Edit- yes, you did. Not sure what Dave has to do with it, but like I told him, please keep it in the pub, or start your own thread and mark it. Is this really that hard to grasp? -Tim

Especially COLOR: Silver Birds are head and shoulders above the rest.

Look at that guy on the left. Is that a face you can trust?. :icon_biggrin:

med_gallery_2281_718_202400.jpg

Paint her RED. :icon_twisted:

And they all look good washed. :icon_twisted:

med_gallery_2281_718_443015.jpg

Or 99 black is pretty cool.

NBL , Mike

What To Look Out For....

People in front of you. A quick twist of the throttle and they seem to get closer to you very quickly...

You'll definitely enjoy the bike. I had a ZX-11 before my XX. I liked the ZX a lot, don't get me wrong, but the XX is a nicer bike. It's a 99, first year for FI, and has very smooth power. I ended up going with the Scorpion exhaust for it. I recommend it for sure. Great sound. Some other mods I have done, Zero Gravity DB windscreen, White faced indiglo gauges, integrated taillight, and HID headlight.

What year is that? are the clutch and brake reservoirs polished ?

Looks like a 2006-2008 in Iron Nail Silver and no the reservoirs aren't polished the later bikes came with Silver/Grey paint instead of Black like the early ones :icon_surprised:

What year is that? are the clutch and brake reservoirs polished ?

Looks like a 2006-2008 in Iron Nail Silver and no the reservoirs aren't polished the later bikes came with Silver/Grey paint instead of Black like the early ones :icon_surprised:

Bullseye..... :icon_biggrin:

CBR1100XX-2006silver1.jpg