CBR1100XX.org Forum

Tacho wiring

j0l

My 1998 carbed and old school dash Tacho has died. It sits at 0 rpm and doesn't move.

Initially I though it was the dash itself, so one trip to eBay later I have myself a replacement dash (black fascia much better than the original white one), upon taking off the fairing and replacing the dash itself the tacho is still dead :icon_frown:

OK so it's not what I though.

I don't plan of cable chasing the wiring loom for the break point, as I know that's an exercise in expletives.

If I splice a pair of new wires into the dash (I think it's yellow-green and another colour I can't quite recall) going into the tacho does anyone know where I end these wires? Which I presume is the tacho take off sensor or something with a rather more technical name.

Oh and what does it look like :icon_shifty:

37700-MAT-610 SENSOR, SPEEDOMETER

http://fiche.ronayers.com/Index.cfm/Module...Group/CRANKCASE

The senor is on top of the crankcase about in-line with the clutch. If you take the tank off and look straight down in the empty area of the motor, you will see a senor right on top of the crankcase.

Excellent & many many thanks. I'll have a look this weekend, provided the weather staying above zero. :icon_rolleyes:

The senor is on top of the crankcase about in-line with the clutch. If you take the tank off and look straight down in the empty area of the motor, you will see a senor right on top of the crankcase.

Isn't that the speedometer sensor? :icon_think:

I'm pretty sure the tach signal comes directly from the ECU. At least that's how it is on my 99.

Isn't that the speedometer sensor?

Crap!!! I was having a total brain fart thinking that you were looking for speedometer stuff. The part that I listed even said "SENSOR, SPEEDOMETER". Sorry, that's why there are other people around here. I'll crawl back into my corner now.

No big deal BlackhawkXX. Glad to help.

I just wired-up a data logger earlier this year on the drag-bike and tied into the tach wire about 3 inches out of the ECU. Did the same thing with the speedometer sensor wire for wheel speed measurement.

• 2 months later...