CBR1100XX.org Forum

What size resistor?

Hobicus

So I picked up and installed an integrated tail light with embedded turn signals, but now when I use the turn signals I get the fast flashing thing going on.

I'm assuming I need to install a resistor to slow down the flasher back to normal speed. Any idea what size resistor I should pick up?

You need a 6 ohm, 50 watt resistor, the little packs at Radio Shack have nowhere near enough wattage, they will just burn up :icon_naughty: . Check ebay, they typically have heat syncs and cost a little under $10 each.

Just gone through this with a bike I'm re-building. Blinker speed is not governed by law BTW.

post-20371-1230048625.jpg

I would use the electronic flasher. You can use any bulbs you want with it, no splicing of wires, unplug one, plug in the new. Done. I have an integrated on my XX with an electronic flasher and it works great.

+1 Much faster. I got one from my local Cycle Gear made for Honda. Plug and Play.

If you use the resistor inline, all it will do, besides slow down the flash rate,

is make your LEDs dimmer. The special flasher relay is the right way to go.

Keith wrote:

If you use the resistor inline, all it will do, besides slow down the flash rate,

is make your LEDs dimmer. The special flasher relay is the right way to go.

If you hooked it up and it made your LED's dimmer............you hooked it up WRONG! The resistors (one for each side) should be hooked up in parallel with the LED's...........NOT in Series with them. Having said that, I would agree that the flasher unit is the way to go....much less work and some are adjustable for flash rate of speed.

Electronic flasher here, too. Plug 'n' play. I got a "trick" flasher that can be taught to do several types of flash sequences, most of which are pretty annoying.

Just a quick lesson in basic electricity. When two devices are hooked up in parallel (LED turn signal and resistor), Both devices receive the applied voltage (12 volts in this case) and therefore the LEDs will be at full brillience (if they are in fact rated for 12 Volts) and the resistor will receive 12 volts also. Basically you are providing a load with the resistor that will simulate the amount of load that you would have with a regular tungsten light bulb.

When two devices are hooked up in "series", the same amount of current flows equally through both devices and dependin on the resistance of each device, it will receive part of the applied voltage and the other device will receive the remainder of the applied voltage.

So, as you can see, hooking the resistor in series with the LED will cause the LED to glow dimmer because the resistor is "dropping" some of the applied voltage and leaving the rest for the LED.

E = I x R

I = E/R

R = E/I

E= Voltage

I= Current in amps (or milliamps in the case of LEDS)

R= Resistance

Hope this helps clarify a little bit.