CBR1100XX.org Forum

How long can a carb'd XX sit unridden?

BarryG

Probably a dumb question but since I ride my '98 XX almost weekly....if I park it for 3 weeks (it's always plugged into a deltran battery tender anyway) are there any bad effects....like carb's gumming up? Or is there no problem letting it sit that long as is?

3 weeks in San Diego.... no problems.

3 weeks in some place where the temps drop below

70 .... well it'll just take a few seconds to smooth

out the idle once it's started.

Finally decided to get that sex change operation, eh!?

3 weeks in San Diego.... no problems.

3 weeks in some place where the temps drop below

70 .... well it'll just take a few seconds to smooth

out the idle once it's started.

Finally decided to get that sex change operation, eh!?

Yes but that's besides the point. I got this and have been driving it a lot since I'm still in the honeymoon phase :)

Dealer gave me a check for my remaining 7 lease payments on the Hyundai. Got the GT for 23600 OTD including tax, tags..etc. window sticker was just under 29K. Damn this thing is fun and comfortable surprisingly. And it's a Ford which means it will last for MONTHS!

DSC00010.jpg

DSC00011.jpg

DSC00012.jpg

DSC00013.jpg

You need a short shifter now.

It pretty much already has one. Nothing like the shifter in '92 LX 5.0. I'm fine with it.

I will be lowering it since it's like a 4x4 now, putting 3.73 gears in to replace the 3.31 jokes and putting on some GTA axle backs that will give it a tad more sound. Then she'll be set up fine for me. :icon_biggrin:

I start mine and get it warmed up at least bi-weekly, had no problems, no additives. below zero here at times.

I rarely ride my XX. I leave it plugged in to a tender, and add some Seafoam to each tank (I didn't even go through a full tank this last season.) It starts right up. I rode it this past Saturday, and it started and ran just fine, with full power throughout the powerband.

Probably a dumb question but since I ride my '98 XX almost weekly

Not being rude but I think that you answered your own question. Mine sits from Nov. to April or May every year. I try to start it up a few times during that period.

That is the RUDEST thing I've ever read!

Barry, thats a familiar looking neighborhood.. I also live in San Diego. From a more technical stand point gas starts to break down in as little as 22 days, obviously temperature plays a roll. I have had my bike for 6 or more months and it started up and ran fine but I dont suggest leaving it more than a month without riding it.

• 2 weeks later...

I use seafoam in my tank during the winter down time. I run it 2 to 3 times a month just to keep the gas flowing. It gets pretty cold around here like now with snow on the ground. I have not had a problem starting or running with this method. I start it and let it run until the radiator fan kicks on. I try to goose it a couple times too, when it's warm, just to make sure that all the carb circuits are getting flow. I also keep a battery tender on it. I do believe that if you let the bike sit too long, the gas will gum up the carbs then you will be looking at pulling them apart for a good cleaning. On a side note, I also installed inline gas filters between the petcock and carbs. Got the idea from a guy on the other XX forum. Cost me less than 10 bucks to do. The stock filter is just a screen in the tank. Just piece of mind. Cheers.

I use seafoam in my tank during the winter down time. I run it 2 to 3 times a month just to keep the gas flowing. It gets pretty cold around here like now with snow on the ground. I have not had a problem starting or running with this method. I start it and let it run until the radiator fan kicks on. I try to goose it a couple times too, when it's warm, just to make sure that all the carb circuits are getting flow. I also keep a battery tender on it. I do believe that if you let the bike sit too long, the gas will gum up the carbs then you will be looking at pulling them apart for a good cleaning. On a side note, I also installed inline gas filters between the petcock and carbs. Got the idea from a guy on the other XX forum. Cost me less than 10 bucks to do. The stock filter is just a screen in the tank. Just piece of mind. Cheers.

Thanks. Neitther of my bike will sit unridden more than one month. At a bare minimum I'll ride them once every three weeks. I'll add some seafoam to the tanks though as it may take me up to 2 months to go through a tank on one bike...but that's also rare.

This new ethanol blend fuel definitely goes bad quicker than fuel from a few years ago.

We have had this problem with our dirt bikes. When I went to winterize my wife's TTR125 it had already clogged up from sitting from July to late September. I had to pull the carb and clean the jets. I spoke to a friend at the local Yamaha shop and he said he replaced dozens of pilot jets this summer in bikes that sat just a few months with no stabilizer in the fuel. This spring there will be lots of small engines that don't run if owner's don't winterize them properly.