CBR1100XX.org Forum

Tail light bulbs?

jon haney

I had a tail light bulb finally burn out on my 99 BB and thought, great, now I can get some of those LED bulbs. So I ordered one with the flat connector that has tail-light and brake-light capability. It fits in the slot, but won't lock in place because of the way it is made. Drag Specialties is the vendor.

Are there any LED bulbs that will work in the stock tail-light?

Its really easy to make your own custom led bulbs.

Buy some superflux leds, solder them to a board with some resistors, and you'll have an amazingly bright taillight for <$25.

I retrofitting my front turn signals for about $8 each.

post-5615-1227539003.jpg

Nobody else? :icon_think:

Judging from the lack of responses, I am going to assume there is no "plug-n-play" LED bulb. Crap! I don't need another project right now, so I guess I'll put a stock bulb back in.

Not sure which exact L.E.D. replacement bulbs you are trying to use, but a word of caution. IMHO, those LED's that are designed to replace factory bulbs suck. Most light fixtures use reflectors that are designed with incandescent bulbs in mind. Incandescent bulbs 'throw' light out in about all directions. That said reflector sends all that light out through ALL of the lens. LED's are very directional. Most light produced comes out in a narrow beam, the simplest way I can explain it. While those LED's can be extremely bright when looked at directly, they suck when offset. When placed in a reflector, the light goes straight out the back. All that lights up is this tiny circle of light about an inch or so in diameter. That big lens is totally wasted. Also, most of those replacement bulbs I've seen don't have much difference between running light and 'brake' light. Hard to tell when you are actually braking, particullarly in direct sun light. The bulbs that I'm referring to are the ones with a single board with LED's facing one direction. As of lately, I have seen some bulbs that have LED's mounted and placed facing multiple directions. Maybe those are much improved. Unfortunately, I have not seen them in use yet in a tailight. Or maybe I have and they suck just as bad. Something to ponder about.

Of course, you can also put them in and have someone sit on the bike and work the brakes on and off while you stand a ways back and observe.

If I had my heart set on LED's, I'd get a replacement fixture that is designed from day one with LED's built in, such as from a company like Clear Alternatives, or such, as John suggested.

Good luck with your endeaver..

Not sure which exact L.E.D. replacement bulbs you are trying to use, but a word of caution. IMHO, those LED's that are designed to replace factory bulbs suck. Most light fixtures use reflectors that are designed with incandescent bulbs in mind. Incandescent bulbs 'throw' light out in about all directions. That said reflector sends all that light out through ALL of the lens. LED's are very directional. Most light produced comes out in a narrow beam, the simplest way I can explain it. While those LED's can be extremely bright when looked at directly, they suck when offset. When placed in a reflector, the light goes straight out the back. All that lights up is this tiny circle of light about an inch or so in diameter. That big lens is totally wasted. Also, most of those replacement bulbs I've seen don't have much difference between running light and 'brake' light. Hard to tell when you are actually braking, particullarly in direct sun light. The bulbs that I'm referring to are the ones with a single board with LED's facing one direction. As of lately, I have seen some bulbs that have LED's mounted and placed facing multiple directions. Maybe those are much improved. Unfortunately, I have not seen them in use yet in a tailight. Or maybe I have and they suck just as bad. Something to ponder about.

Of course, you can also put them in and have someone sit on the bike and work the brakes on and off while you stand a ways back and observe.

If I had my heart set on LED's, I'd get a replacement fixture that is designed from day one with LED's built in, such as from a company like Clear Alternatives, or such, as John suggested.

Good luck with your endeaver..

Well that settles it. I'm sticking with the stock bulbs.

Thank you for those enlightening observations. I'm sure a lot of people reading this thread are going to be checking their LED tail lights to see if they are actually better than stock.

Stock 20bulb led replacement, plug and play $8 each at Autozone. They also have for turn signals, but you have to replace your relay with a digital. Under lights have integraded turn/brake led's. $20 off ebay, another $20 for bulbs. I also have turn signal led's mounted under the tail, it is visible at night on the swing arm. The brake light put off by these will put your eyes out at night. Pin points a bit, but gives that nice in your face blurr. During the day, not so much. post-3948-1227725980.jpgpost-3948-1227726002.jpg Cant remember the part number, its on the package which number it repaces.

I got a pair of these because they are touted as the brightest tail lights on the market:

http://www.superbrightleds.com/specs/115x-xLX3.htm

They don't fit in the stock fitting however, there is a metal clip type adapter that clips into the housing very securely (almost custom fit) that I got from Autozone for <$4 each that work perfectly.

Once I had fitted them, I tested them and I gotta tell you, when you brake... the guy behind you will not be left in any doubt, the closest thing I can compare them to are the red lights on the new police cruisers.

...and don't forget about how fast LED's reach full brightness, at freeway speeds, it translates to well over a carlenth more warning for the guy behind you.

post-20371-1227729768.jpg

The '99 and later models have a different bulb socket that has the flat type connection. Maybe I should just convert to the old-style fender. I like the higher location of the seat-lock key. Probably won't work with the later model ECU though. Anybody tried a fender swap?

I got a pair of these because they are touted as the brightest tail lights on the market:

http://www.superbrightleds.com/specs/115x-xLX3.htm

They don't fit in the stock fitting however, there is a metal clip type adapter that clips into the housing very securely (almost custom fit) that I got from Autozone for <$4 each that work perfectly.

Once I had fitted them, I tested them and I gotta tell you, when you brake... the guy behind you will not be left in any doubt, the closest thing I can compare them to are the red lights on the new police cruisers.

...and don't forget about how fast LED's reach full brightness, at freeway speeds, it translates to well over a carlenth more warning for the guy behind you.

I bought a brakelight LED from this same company ( superbright) a few years back. This model for my 03 bird had side facing LED's along with the straight back. It works very well in the stock reflector housing. It appears that they do not carry that model anymore though. I do like the company, as they give accurate dimensions so you can tell if the unit will fit, prices are good, and the device was pretty well made.

I choose to replace only one bulb, and leave the other as an incandescent. My goal was to have two bulbs that were not likely to fail in the same manner, hopefully increasing the reliability of the system.

After 4 years and 45k miles I just burned out the first bulb, the LED is still fine.

If you guys are interested, i'll post a "how-to" when i do my tail light retrofit with superflux leds. I should have it done in about 2-3 wks.

There's Interest here.....

a nice write up with pictures, and part numbers would be awesome.

Oh and I'm sure alot of poeple here would enjoy reading about your work, even if they don't do it themselves.

If you guys are interested, i'll post a "how-to" when i do my tail light retrofit with superflux leds. I should have it done in about 2-3 wks.

I'm impatient! :)

Ok,,i'll get together a "how-to" for an LED tailight conversion. I'll do it over Christmas vacation.

Ok,,i'll get together a "how-to" for an LED tailight conversion. I'll do it over Christmas vacation.

Is this write-up going to cover both types of tail lights for the BB?

Is this write-up going to cover both types of tail lights for the BB?

I have a '99, its the two bulb 'stacked' formation.

I replaced the lower bulb with a strobing led unit already. This will cover an LED conversion for the top bulb. However, with the method i'm using, you'll be able to do anything from a motorcycle led convesion to an auto.