CBR1100XX.org Forum

6mm spacer

scott s.

And another tomorrow I hope... :icon_biggrin: Order for shim, patch, push pins, and visor inserts sent. Thanks.

how big of a differance does the 6mm spacer on the rear shock make?

Best bang for your buck to the point you will NOT regret it, i put one in and it is awesome.

Jet

The fact that the bike handles so poorly, the addition of the spacer makes the bike tip in a little quicker, so it is really a placebo making you think that the bike handles better. It does not address the inherent problem of the poor suspension on the bike

The fact that the bike handles so poorly, the addition of the spacer makes the bike tip in a little quicker, so it is really a placebo making you think that the bike handles better. It does not address the inherent problem of the poor suspension on the bike

Now why ya gotta go hatin on our babies like that? :icon_snooty:

:icon_biggrin: Seriously though...what is it that makes you say that? I guess I just simply don't have the mad skillz to really show me where things are wrong. To me, this beast has never been anything less than awesome in the handling department. Yes, it is big and heavy compared to a 600. Compared to bikes in it's class, I can't find the descrepancy. In fact, Busa's I've ridden would track better and be faster through corners if they were on the back of a truck :icon_twisted:. What's really wrong with the Bird's suspension that really needs to be "fixed"?

:icon_biggrin: Seriously though...what is it that makes you say that? I guess I just simply don't have the mad skillz to really show me where things are wrong. To me, this beast has never been anything less than awesome in the handling department. Yes, it is big and heavy compared to a 600. Compared to bikes in it's class, I can't find the descrepancy. In fact, Busa's I've ridden would track better and be faster through corners if they were on the back of a truck :icon_twisted:. What's really wrong with the Bird's suspension that really needs to be "fixed"?

It is not hatin, just a simple statement of fact. :icon_biggrin: I owned one as well and in it's stock form, the suspension was less than confidence inspiring in corners. The front would porpoise like a pogo stick under mild cornering. The shock was useless. After getting better springs in the front, G2 re-working the valving and adding a Penske Sport Shock, it was a totally different motorcycle. The stock suspension may work fine for the type of riding you do, it did not work for the type of riding I wanted to do.

This is one of those questions that has to be answered with "Let me show you." I'm sure at least one of the other members on here that has done some suspension mods would be happy to let you ride his BB so that you can feel the difference. I too didn't think the suspension was all that bad until I put Gold Valves and springs in the forks. BIG difference.

You may not want to make it any better because all of your other bikes will feel even worse when compared to the Bird.

:icon_biggrin: I'd take you up on that demo ride if I ever have the opportunity. I understand what you guys are saying, but it just isn't apparent to me in real riding situations. I'm sure that mine has never pogo'd or been unstable in any corner though. This may simply be due to the fact that my body weight won't allow it to rebound like that. I'm wondering if maybe Honda over-engineered the spring and valve rates to take fat boys like me into account. I weigh 315 +/- 10 pounds on average. Once my chunky ass compresses the suspension, it stays compressed till I get off. :icon_biggrin: I ride moderately aggressive, but I'm not Nicky Hayden by any means. I doubt I've pushed hard enough to see the problems that you're describing. I'll keep practicing and maybe someday find the other flaws that exist besides my dry rotted tool kit strap.

Uvalde - 6mm shim goes on top between the clevis and frame bar that mounts the shock. Put the bike on a 1/2 or 3/4 piece of plywood on the centerstand. Remove the two rear tank bolts and prop the tank up about 4 to 6 inches. Loosen the 17mm locking nut in the center between tank bolts. Run it out until about half of the threads are showing inside the nut, but do not spin it all the way off. Insert the shim from the front and make sure that it seats all the way back into the saddle of the "U" onto the bolt between the frame bar and the shock clevis. Tighten the 17mm nut back well. Lower and rebolt tank. Replace seat and you're ready to go.

exactly how is this 6mm shim installed?

top at the seat or at the bottom.

I've looked at the exploded view but don't quite understand.

excuse my ignorance. :icon_rolleyes:

6mm Shim Instal :icon_whistle:

This

gallery_2722_589_28021.jpg

is a pic of some shims that one of the guys on OzBB made up but just plain washers would work :icon_surprised:

Or something like this

gallery_2722_589_10378.jpg

:icon_biggrin: