CBR1100XX.org Forum

APE CCT

02 SilverBird

Hi I have been reading post's on how to adjust the APE CCT (also contacted APE) This is what they said. "Our generic instructions state to rotate the engine forward while tightening the tensioner until you feel the bow contact the cam chain. Then back it up 1/4 turn and lock the jam nut". To do this you would have to remove the spark plugs so you could turn the engine over easerly and also find a way to turn it over by hand (poss remove a eng cover to get at a crank nut) So any info from you would help. One post said tighten it with the engine running untill you hear the idle speed drop then back off a little,but to me that would be a great amount of pressure on the cam chain to slow th engine down (to much pressure) Thanks For All Replys. Rob

All good reasons why I have a stock CCT.

You have all the info you need.

"rotate the engine forward while tightening the tensioner until you feel the bow contact the cam chain. Then back it up 1/4 turn and lock the jam nut"

If you reply to a post please try to be helpfull (thats why we all all here) and not be an arrogant plonker. Rob

I'm not being arrogant. Maybe a little abrupt, because it appears you're trying to get something for nothing......the benefits of a manual CCT without the labor involved. What I'm telling you is to follow the directions. If you think you're going to find a simple way to maintain a manually adjusted device, you're wrong.

Adjusting it with the engine running is a poor choice, and not what the manufacturer suggests.

Plonker is a slang term of British or Australian origin whose meaning has evolved over time. Partridge in the third edition of his A Dictionary of Slang and Unconventional English in 1949 recorded the term as "low" slang for penis, "since ca. 1917". The term remains in recent use with that meaning.

By 1966, the term had also acquired the meaning of a man who let his girlfriend sleep with his male friends[1], and in the 1980s had a new meaning of a stupid or inept person. This meaning gained very wide circulation through its frequent use in Only Fools and Horses, and has entered common usage. [2]

Learn something new everyday

I'm not being arrogant. Maybe a little abrupt, because it appears you're trying to get something for nothing......the benefits of a manual CCT without the labor involved. What I'm telling you is to follow the directions. If you think you're going to find a simple way to maintain a manually adjusted device, you're wrong.

Adjusting it with the engine running is a poor choice, and not what the manufacturer suggests.

I got my Bird about two years ago and it has the APE CCT already instaled on it,so I was looking for info from people that had pryer experience with it. Rob

I got my Bird about two years ago and it has the APE CCT already instaled on it,so I was looking for info from people that had pryer experience with it. Rob

Why you think you need to readjust it ? This is honest question,not smart ass remark.Is it making noise,or your idle rpms are bouncing ?

If manual CCT is installed on fully broken in motor there is no need to touch it for many,many miles.I only touch it when I`m checking valves or basically tensioner was removed from the block.

Here is how I do it.

Set the tension finger tight,but you have to absolutely positively sure there is no slack anywere in cam drive system,chain is "in" the sprockets,not "on" them.

Start the motor and leave it idling.You get to the point where rpm start to drop if you increase tension.Back tensioner 1/8-1/4 turn.Tighten the nut.

That is it.

Don`t touch it for next 20-25 k miles.

Why you think you need to readjust it ? This is honest question,not smart ass remark.Is it making noise,or your idle rpms are bouncing ?

If manual CCT is installed on fully broken in motor there is no need to touch it for many,many miles.I only touch it when I`m checking valves or basically tensioner was removed from the block.

Here is how I do it.

Set the tension finger tight,but you have to absolutely positively sure there is no slack anywere in cam drive system,chain is "in" the sprockets,not "on" them.

Start the motor and leave it idling.You get to the point where rpm start to drop if you increase tension.Back tensioner 1/8-1/4 turn.Tighten the nut.

That is it.

Thank you for your reply,as i said I got the bird two years ago and don't know if it has ever bean adjusted since it was installed, so being an anell barstard I wanted to check it (beer may be afecting spelling)Now when you say adjust it untill the idle drops,is that with your fingers or with a spanner (wrench). Thanks Rob

Here is how I do it.

That is it.

Thank you for your reply,as i said I got the bird two years ago and don't know if it has ever bean adjusted since it was installed, so being an anell barstard I wanted to check it (beer may be afecting spelling)Now when you say adjust it untill the idle drops,is that with your fingers or with a spanner (wrench). Thanks Rob

Fingers are fine to do it.

You can also use APE method,no need to remove plugs.Put bike in 6th gear and push forward so crank will do a turn or two.Then pull the clutch in and go to neutral.You have to be sure that engine did not rotate backwards.Tighten the tensioner,fingers,you`ll get to a point when it makes contact with guide,back 1/4 turn.That is it.