CBR1100XX.org Forum

eletric gear

googus

It will, but use a relay wired to a key-on circuit so you don't accidentally leave them on and kill the battery.

And try not to leave them on while idling - the bike is already undercharging at those RPMs, and drawing more amps sure doesn't help...

And try not to leave them on while idling - the bike is already undercharging at those RPMs, and drawing more amps sure doesn't help...

One feature of my heated grips I like is that when the voltage drops below about

12.5V, they turn themselves off, so at idle, they're not on; as soon as the RPMs

come up and the charge along with them, the grips turn back on. Kind of a cool

feature.

The grips are an OEM set for the ST1100, IIRC (the dealer installed them before I

picked the bike up new in '03), with electronic temperature control and four heat

levels.

-Keith

One feature of my heated grips I like is that when the voltage drops below about

12.5V, they turn themselves off, so at idle, they're not on; as soon as the RPMs

come up and the charge along with them, the grips turn back on. Kind of a cool

feature.

The grips are an OEM set for the ST1100, IIRC (the dealer installed them before I

picked the bike up new in '03), with electronic temperature control and four heat

levels.

-Keith

That's cool - any idea what it costs for a set-up like that, un-installed?

???????????? GROUP BUY ???????

The daytime high is 55 and the night time is in the 30s

I'm ready for some heat

Snow on the Beartooth pass, so my favorite ride is done for the year.

That's cool - any idea what it costs for a set-up like that, un-installed?

I don't remember exactly (it was over five years ago), but I think they

were a bit under $175 installed.

One thing I should point out: when the bike is off and the battery is at

normal full charge state (~13V, +/-), the grips will stay on if I haven't

turned them off. So, it is possible to drain the battery some if you forget

to turn them off, but they will turn off by themselves when the charge

gets down to the 12.5V level.

-Keith

Your stock charging system should be able to handle the heated liner and gloves. My stator shit the bed at about 50k though running the heated gear a lot. I do use a voltmeter though monitor battery voltage. If your volts drop down to 12.7 or less for a long time it mean the alt is running high loads to charge the battery and run the heated gear and bike electrics.

I run the heated gloves all winter. If I berak down and go with the vest I would be sure to add a voltage gauge to make sure I can monitor my charging system. Perform a 'search' in this forum and you will find many affordable options for a gauge...

If I run my Widder gloves, vest, and chaps (IIRC about the chaps, don't use 'em much) at idle my Beltronics radar detector, which I run with voltage meter function on, will ALARM and indicate low voltage and drops down to around 10.5V. 1999 with no R/R issues so far.