CBR1100XX.org Forum

Auxiliary electrical device switches

RXX

Well, not the coolest, in the "hip" sense, but in the very functional, stable, waterproof, ergonomic and economic sense.

I have seen several of you guys with teeny toggles on your upper fairing panels. Are they waterproof there? I am trying to plan my next electrical molt for this winter.

You guys that have the audiovox controls there, is it waterproof enough to use there?

How about the pro oiler control module?

I've never found slick switches.

I've always used off the shelf stuff, like at Radio Shack. I've never had one fail or short, even when put right into a fairing that gets wet. I do put RTV on the bottom of them so they don't see more moisture then they need to.

Edit,,, heres some sealed rocker switches..

http://www.wiringproducts.com/index1.html?...CFQkiagod4VGujA

I've had an idea for a while to just use a proximity switch to run my accessories. These proximity switches usually have a sealed reed switch inside, so they are as water proof as things get. They also have no external moving parts. In order to get the switch to activate you would just put a magnet on top of it and leave it there. To turn off, remove the magnet.

My company just started selling cheap prox sensors for around 5 bucks each. When i install one i'll have to do a write up.

How many switches do you need? You could use something like this if you need three:

http://www.hondadirectlineofshadyside.com/...mp;ID=858803217

Or if you only need one, this works well and I just put one on my Valk for driving lights:

http://www.electricalconnection.com/power-...h_handlebar.htm

I also have one of these velcro'd under my tank on the VTX:

http://www.electricalconnection.com/power-...ch_microbug.htm

It's a good idea to add an auxiliary fuse panel and relay. I have the Centech AP-1 on the Bird and the AP-2 on the Valk. I like these because they have both power and ground connections where most fuse blocks just have power and you have to put in a separate ground block or connect all the wires to a separate ground somewhere.

http://www.cyclegadgets.com/Products/product.asp?Item=CEN

Don't buy the relay kits from them though as they are a rip-off and you can get a relay and holder for less than half what they charge from just about any autoparts store.

Have fun!

I typically just use standard switches from Lowes, and they sell rubbers switch covers that seal up the toggle part.

For my Audiovox, I knew it wasn't really "supposed" to be used outside, as it's made for a car, so I pulled the switch apart and put a healthy dose of silicone on the parts of the switch that you can't see, all the way around the buttons, that way the water can only come in from the bottom, if at all.

Mike

I typically just use standard switches from Lowes, and they sell rubbers switch covers that seal up the toggle part.

For my Audiovox, I knew it wasn't really "supposed" to be used outside, as it's made for a car, so I pulled the switch apart and put a healthy dose of silicone on the parts of the switch that you can't see, all the way around the buttons, that way the water can only come in from the bottom, if at all.

Mike

How MacGyver of you!

Vern's got a real clean setup.......where is he? Vern, where are yoooouuuuu???

Hi Philip - how's it going?

Glad you like my setup, but it's not completely waterproof. I did what Mike did with the CCS-100 and took it apart and siliconed the interior and around the buttons, and the FirstGear heated gear switch is a surface-mounted rheostat that's silicone encased waterproof from the manufacturer. One of the 4 switches is the standard 2 position rocker for the Symtec heated grips and the other 3 switches are standard round rocker switches that I bought from Autozone - however they have been through 2 Seattle winters and no problems yet. I ride year round here and the bike sees plenty of rain. If you want to see waterproof switching ask Chris (02XXCA) for a pic of his setup. I believe they are standard toggle switches with the rubber casings screwed over the top of them. If I ever redo mine, I'd probably change over to that setup.

The bike is torn down at the moment so I can't snap a pic and I don't have any clear closeups of the switches but you can see what it's like with these two pics:

post-3573-1221538935.jpg

post-3573-1221538968.jpg