CBR1100XX.org Forum

Cruisers have better stopping distances than sportbikes?

BarryG

This guy on another forum quotes from Lee Parsk what is below:

He's telling me a cruiser is better in emergency braking situations than say my XX?

I think he's on crack......or am I?

Chapter 11, Total Control

1. The longer the wheelbase, the shorter the braking distance.

2. The lower the center of gravity, the shorter the braking distance.

3. The stickier the tires, the shorter the braking distance.

4. The more efficient the braking system, the shorter the braking distance.

5. Using both brakes will result in the shortest stopping distance

6. Modern sportbikes are all limited by their wheelbase or center of gravity.

"If cruisers had stickier tires they would crush sportbikes on the brakes. Right now (2003) the best cruisers stop just as well and more consistently than sportbikes."

"Total Control" Parks, Lee. Motorbooks; St Paul MN pp 71-73.

http://www.leeparksdesign.com/

This should sum things up:

Average cruiser = 750lbs (dry weight) ******reference only not factual

Average Sportbike/touring = 515lbs (dry weight) ******reference only not factual

If cruiser & sportbike have equally camparable braking system & equally sticky tire's, with equally capable road conditions, the sportbike will stop the fastest everytime. Just in the weight saving alone.

Since they arent winning any drag racing trophies maybe they thought , they would try for best braking trophy :icon_snooty:

But what about their braking systems... are they as beefy as ours?

In the case of the M109R I would say yes. Most of the others not so much.

A cruiser keeps more weight on the rear wheel due to the longer wheel base which increases the effectiveness of the rear brake. On sportbikes much more weight gets transfered to the front causing the rear to lift more thereby taking the weight off the rear tire and causing the rear to lock up due to loss of traction which will lengthen it's stopping distance. On a sportbike you want to squeeze the tank and push back some to help keep the weight over the rear.

Can't say I've ever been a fan of Lee Parks.

The whole thing is just silly. #'s 1-6 are completely true. The interpretation in quotes is just stupid. Just why would any vehicle stop more consistantly than another?

Given equal braking systems, weight, and tires, the cruiser will be capable of shorter stopping distances due to being able to use the rear tire braking capabilities for a longer period of time than a sportbike would before the rear end lifts enough to negate the advantage...and the rear will lift less due to the greater leverage the long wheelbase and low CoG offers to the cruiser.

Real world......most cruiser brakes suck in comparison, tires aren't as performance oriented, and the cruiser weighs 100 pounds more. Add to that the relaxed riding position of the cruiser with nothing much to grip except the bars, and you have less control when you ARE braking.

I'll take the sportbike, thank you. The illusion of safety one might get from having a bunch of motorcycle in front of them on the cruiser instead of under them on the sportbike is not worth the decrease in braking performance.

In general the sport bikes stop a lot shorter...less weight & better brakes = shorter distance. I'll check some old cycle mags & report back...

This should sum things up:

Average cruiser = 750lbs (dry weight) ******reference only not factual

Average Sportbike/touring = 515lbs (dry weight) ******reference only not factual

If cruiser & sportbike have equally camparable braking system & equally sticky tire's, with equally capable road conditions, the sportbike will stop the fastest everytime. Just in the weight saving alone.

Not necessarily. The short wheelbase causes the weight to transfer onto the front (stoppie), and the contact patch is smaller.

In general I'd agree with you, all things being equal, the heavy bike stops longer, but things aren't equal.

When Lee Parks was the editor of MCN, he loved every bike he could drag his knee, and hated bikes that were cruisers. Go figure.

Last year they had a long discussion on this on a local Perth MC forum and were saying the same thing and as Joe said all being equal as far as brake quality the cruiser should brake better due to a longer wheelbase, lower CoG and more weight over the rear but unfortunately cruiser brakes and suspension are usually shit not to mention the rubber :icon_rolleyes::icon_whistle:

Well gents, Lee Parks credentials are very strong and before judging his writing---it might not be a bad idea to actually read it!!

He goes into extensive detail in that section and it's very well explained IMHO. Pieces taken out of context will lead you down a fools path.

He makes a statement on page 73 that sums up the article to that point ( I won't type the whole chapter for you--so this is kind of a teaser)---"Right now the best cruisers stop just as well, and more consistently, than sportbikes. As an example, a Honda Valkyrie or Suzuki Marauder 800 can out-stop every racer-replica made prior to 2000." (emphasis mine)

It will require reading up to that point to understand his 'why'.

Retail list on the book is $24.95--less than a tank of gas for the Bird in Ventura, Ca. Well worth the investment if desiring to understand such things and how to ride better than the average bear.

Happy Trails kel

Well gents, Lee Parks credentials are very strong and before judging his writing---it might not be a bad idea to actually read it!!

He goes into extensive detail in that section and it's very well explained IMHO. Pieces taken out of context will lead you down a fools path.

He makes a statement on page 73 that sums up the article to that point ( I won't type the whole chapter for you--so this is kind of a teaser)---"Right now the best cruisers stop just as well, and more consistently, than sportbikes. As an example, a Honda Valkyrie or Suzuki Marauder 800 can out-stop every racer-replica made prior to 2000." (emphasis mine)

It will require reading up to that point to understand his 'why'.

Retail list on the book is $24.95--less than a tank of gas for the Bird in Ventura, Ca. Well worth the investment if desiring to understand such things and how to ride better than the average bear.

Happy Trails kel

I think one of the biggest issues is that a lot of cruiser riders are rear brakers... possibly because a lot of middle aged, never ridden before, want to be like everyone else folks opt for that type of bike.

I would like to see the real world testing specs on this one :icon_whistle:

Motorcycle Consumer News 2008 Performance Index There's a 60-0 braking data for every bike, check the column headings.

TEN BEST 60–0 STOPS

1) 2006 Triumph Speed Triple 104.8'

2) 1999 Triumph Speed Triple 106.7'

3) 1997 F6 Valkyrie 107.4'

4) 1997 Suzuki Marauder 800 107.6'

5) 1998 Honda VFR800FI Interceptor 107.9'

6) 1997 Yamaha YZF600R 108.2'

7) 1999 Suzuki SV650 108.8'

8) 1998 Ducati 750 Monster 109.1'

9) 1997 Suzuki TL1000S 109.4'

10) 2002 Harley-Davidson VRSC V-Rod 109.5'

FYI: 1997 CBR1100XX 112.4'

Looks to me that the chart shows that sport bikes have a consistently shorter stop. Although, it also seems that perhaps the distance is more having to do with the exact bike design, rather than being able to really prove one kind is better at braking than another. I'd have to stay on the fence with this one. Too hard to prove either way. But I do know this........The blackbird LOOKS a lot sexier whether you are stopping or going! :icon_twisted: The shortest stop I have ever seen was on a Harley. Course, it never went, so stopping was not a problem!!