CBR1100XX.org Forum

Chain Time

BigMig

My 2000 xx is in need of a chain - it has some bad tight and loose spots. The chain has 24K miles. I got it with 16K and I've put the balance of miles on relatively gently.

So - I'm planning to order a DID from White Buffalo Racing. The question for the rest of you: should I assume I'll need a front sprocket? The rear sprocket looks great.

If I should order the front sprocket, are there better / worse brands, etc? What do I need to know? alloys, brands...

Thanks to Hobicus, I have a great How-to replace the chain step by step.

Thanks,

Mike

If there are 24k miles on the front sprocket, its safe to assume it needs replacing...or will in the near future. White Buff will have a front sprocket for you. 17 tooth is stock, the relative merits of swapping to a 16 or 18 tooth sprocket have been well hashed out here. The standard 110 link chain will adjust for 16, 17, or 18 tooth front sprockets.

Porter and I did mine at about the same milage. I replaced both sprockets with OEM's and did the 530 ZVM2 from WB. My sprockets did appear to be worn at all, and I hammer them pretty hard. Still recommend changing them while you have it taken apart.

I say just look at the sprocket... If the teeth still come to nice points leave it.... if the teeth are rounded, replace it. The rear sprocket wears a lot slower than the front, so don't assume cause the rear is fine the front is ok too. But like rockmeup said, with 25k it's prolly due for replacement. My last chain developed a nasty kink early on, but the sprocket was fine, so I just did the chain.

Absent some very unusual circumstances...always, always, ALWAYS replace BOTH sprockets when you go to a new chain. If they are in good shape, save a used set for emergency spare parts, but don't put premature wear on a new chain by using worn sprockets.

If you really want to get more life out of a new chain/sprocket set, buy a Scotts Pro-Oiler. It pays for itself just in how infrequently you'll need to do chain replacements.

Remember that if you order a chain 'package', as I was told by White Buffalo, which includes a DID ZVM2 chain, a front and rear sprocket, the chain came with 112 links. I had to cut 2 links off.

When I ordered, I specifically asked for a 110-link chain but the package includes a 112-link from AFAM!

So if you don't want to go through the trouble of cutting off 2 links, tell them that it's a 112-link in the package and you want a 110-link.

-mike-

Absent some very unusual circumstances...always, always, ALWAYS replace BOTH sprockets when you go to a new chain. If they are in good shape, save a used set for emergency spare parts, but don't put premature wear on a new chain by using worn sprockets.

While that is the conventional "wisdom", it simply doesn't apply the the XX. The OEM rear on the XX is good for at least two chains without compromising chain life. I got 18k out of my first chain and 21k out of my second (I'm horrible about lubing regularly). The rear sprocket still looked new when I wrecked it at ~45k.

While that is the conventional "wisdom", it simply doesn't apply the the XX. The OEM rear on the XX is good for at least two chains without compromising chain life. I got 18k out of my first chain and 21k out of my second (I'm horrible about lubing regularly). The rear sprocket still looked new when I wrecked it at ~45k.

That's good to hear. Before I got the Pro-Oiler, I went cross-country on a new set of sprockets and chain. The idiots who I ordered from did not disclose that the rear sprocket was aluminum (a major no-no on a 1,000cc or larger bike). By the end of the trip, it was toasted. Between that and the infrequent lubing and cleaning of the chain, the front was ruined too. They sent me replacements...both steel, but I don't know if I'll ever use them or not.

I did slap back on the OEM front and the rear that was on the bike when I bought it. I also reused the chain (and bought a Pro-Oiler). That was two years and 15,772 miles ago, and the chain shows no sign of wearing out and the sprockets look great.

I did ask it in the thread by Hobie showing the changing of the chain and sprockets but from the pics it looked like he had a "Stealth" tri metal rear sprocket :icon_confused:

Has anyone else used them before and found any advantage over say a std steel sprocket like AFAM (which I am using now) that justifies the extra price :icon_surprised:

Also anyone used other brands of sprockets like AFAM, JT, Sunstar or Renthal?

I;ve used the Stealth Tri-Metal sprockets before, but only rear,didn't like the front that we could get down here.

It lasted the longest of all sprockets I've tried on the XX, and it looks oh so darn pretty with a black XX!!

Bitch to keep clean but well worth the cash IMO.

I've used the Sunstar sprockets. Good wear and reasonable performance and life for the less than OEM bucks you spend. 18K miles out of a Sunstar sprockets and DID VM chain combo.

One bit of warning....if you don't buy a rubber dampened type OEM front sprocket, be prepared to accept quite a bit more constant chain noise. It bothered me enough to buy and install an OEM front sprocket last week. I reused my original and flawless after 17K rear sprocket with a new DID VM2 chain this time.

I've used the Sunstar sprockets. Good wear and reasonable performance and life for the less than OEM bucks you spend. 18K miles out of a Sunstar sprockets and DID VM chain combo.

One bit of warning....if you don't buy a rubber dampened type OEM front sprocket, be prepared to accept quite a bit more constant chain noise. It bothered me enough to buy and install an OEM front sprocket last week. I reused my original and flawless after 17K rear sprocket with a new DID VM2 chain this time.

Tom, what brand did you go with?

cheers

mack

Sunstar is OEM supplier to Honda. Not that it matters....items like that are just built to spec.

While changing the sprockets with the chain is a nice, simplistic way to view the situation, some folks like myself are just cheap bastards, and have hormonal difficulties discarding still-functional equipment. Its true that changing the chain drive as a set will ensure that all the components are at design spec at the beginning of the wear cycle, but as has been aptly demonstrated, the component parts do wear at an inequivalent rate. At any given point in the wear cycle, the unevenly worn components are increasing their discrepancies and therefore increasing the wear they impart upon adjacent components....just the sort of action we intended to avoid by replacing the entire drive set rather than the individual components. Its still a great scheme if you 1-can afford the cost, 2-place extreme wear upon the components by drag racing, hauling a trailer, or other exceptional usage, or 3-can't be bothered to inspect and maintain the drive set between replacements.

Bottom line.......there's more than one way to skin a cat effectively.

My OEM rear sprocket has 37,000 miles on it and looks fine. Just put the third chain on the bike in preparation for SEXXT.

Tom, what brand did you go with?

cheers

mack

I went to White Buffalo Racing for the DID 530VM2 110 link chain (gold/black) for $128+shipping. I bought a new OEM front sprocket at the local Honda stealership...$58....dayyum....but worth it. VERY quiet drive train now. I reused my OE rear sprocket that I saved from last spring when I changed to aftermarket Sunstar sprockets. It had 17K miles on it and it looked perfect. I feel very confident in it being in as good shape now as when new.

By the way...a short but large Thank You to Slowride Stefan who got me home from WVXXT by being a prepared Eagle Scout and having his handy dandy homebrew chainlube in a Visine bottle available for me to spill on the chain and surrounding parking area... :icon_biggrin: My chain still popped all the way home, but it would have been a LOT worse had it not been for Stefan. Thanks bro.... :icon_thumbsup: :icon_comeheresign: You da man!

+1 to Hondas rear sprockets!!! Them things are made out of plutonium! And also +1 to going with the OEM front sprocket. Cost is more but the reduction in noise is huge. Well worth in extra $.

When I bought my VFR the chain was BAKED!! Dry as a bone, no adjustment left and could pull it off the rear sprcket like 1/2 inch!! (17000 miles) I replaced the chain and the front sprocket. The rear had no perceivable wear. Even the front looked decent, but the rubber part was well worn in.

You could not tell the difference between aluminium and steel?

It was big.

It was heavy.

Since the web page said/implied it was a steel sprocket (the aluminum ones were on a separate category and this was supposed to be OEM replacement), I just presumed it was steel.

I now know to do the "magnet test" no matter what the package says on the label. :icon_redface:

I'm just glad nothing really bad happened while I was on my trip. I could have stripped the teeth off of a plain aluminum sprocket given enough miles. :icon_eek:

BTW, didn't someone already do a post/thread showing that the sprocket kit (OEM Honda) was just about the same price as getting replacements elsewhere? It might have been a couple of years back though.

I changed my chain and sprockets at 18k. The chain was pretty bad, but the rear sprocket pretty much looked new and the front wasn't in bad condition. I've always just changed both sprockets when I swap chains out of habit. I still have the original OEM rear on hand. And I would recommend not using an aluminum rear. The one I have on now has about 18k miles on it and is starting to look fairly worn, yet the chain isn't in bad shape for the moment. Definitely agree on the previous comments about the rear OEM being well made.

Bun

I changed my chain and sprockets at 18k. The chain was pretty bad, but the rear sprocket pretty much looked new and the front wasn't in bad condition. I've always just changed both sprockets when I swap chains out of habit. I still have the original OEM rear on hand. And I would recommend not using an aluminum rear. The one I have on now has about 18k miles on it and is starting to look fairly worn, yet the chain isn't in bad shape for the moment. Definitely agree on the previous comments about the rear OEM being well made.

Bun

What's the brand/marking on the original rear sprocket?

After a bit of looking I am trying to decide between

a) Stealth Tri Metal 45 Tooth Rear Sprocket & DID 530 ZVM2 Gold/Black Chain & Drive Systems USA Chromoly Steel 16 Tooth Front Sprocket Kit = $254.95 from Sprocketcenter.com or

B) DID Chain – 530 ZVM2 110 Link in Gold & Black & AFAM Rear 45 Tooth Steel Sprocket 10508 & AFAM Front 16 Tooth Steel Sprocket 20602 = $189.35 USD from White Buffalo Racing.com

Now is the extra $65.60 USD worth it for the Stealth combo? :icon_confused:

The other alternative I was considering was trying a Stealth 46T/17T combo as I was looking at the 45T/16T for some extra pick up down low, do you think that there would be much of a difference with the 46/17 as opposed to a 45/16 :icon_confused:

I realize there would be more acceleration with the 16/45 but maybe the 17/46 would help without throwing the speedo out too much - Any thoughts? :icon_surprised:

If I go for the 16/45 combo I may look at just getting the chain and rear and buying an OEM front for the damper :icon_surprised:

Ill be going with the tri-metal setup next time I spring for a rear sprocket, they look cool plus they weight in a little less than the stocker.

I am running a Vortex rear now with about 5.5K on it, & the teeth are starting to hook noticably. Not to bad if you like replacing your sprocket every time you change the rear tire :icon_thumbsdown: