CBR1100XX.org Forum

O ring on brake pad bolt/pin

kjclark7

the other day when i was changing my brake and clutch fluid i took out my brake pads to check them. when i took the bolt/pin out to check the pads, the small 0 ring on the end was shot (it was elongated). what purpose does it serve? i put the bolt back in for now since the honda dealership wasn't open today or yesterday.

i am also still on my first set of pads at 21,000 miles, seems like good life out of the stock pads. there was a good amount of pad left so i kept them on. i have new ebc's when they eventually wear out.

Nah, people would post even if it wasn't important. It might be a slow day on the board.

Can you snap a pick of the pin and the o ring placement?

i won't be able to today but if you were to take the bolt out, the O ring is on the opposite side of the threaded end. i just ordered some from honda but the parts guy i spoke with didn't know what it was for.

My guess is that it helps prevent vibrations from the pads being transfered into the caliper or from loosening the pin.

Anybody else?

Come on Stan. Surely you have some input on this.

I noticed the same when I changed my brakes this weekend. Since the dealership didn't have them in stock, I put everything back together without them. I've ordered the new ones. For my '02 the description and part number are:

O-RING (2.5X1.5)

45111-MAJ-G41

Cost is $2.73 per ring.

I figure it's just as well to spend <$10 for something to do with my brakes. I don't care how mundane the part is.

The GL1800 has the same o-ring (damn near identical brakes, too). As I understand it, the o-ring in the end of the pin has several purposes, but primarily to center the pin in the inner caliper housing and to isolate the pin from vibrations generated or manifest from that side of the caliper.

FWIW, I never knew there even was any vibration to speak of, but an engineer explained that there were several types; normal unsprung road undulations, primary and secondary engine vibrations transmitted through the frame/drive train, and brake pad vibrations (both loose and when applied). The last thing he mentioned was that all disc brake calipers have a small, yet inherent, degree of flex when hydraulic pressure is applied. If the pin didn't have the o-ring to compensate, it would have to flex or bow - that could potentially mitigate the effectiveness of the pad/rotor interface, and manifest itself by an audible high frequency sound (brake squeal). Of course, he acknowledged that there can be other causes of squeal as well...

I guess I learned something... I've made sure to reinstall the o-ring. BTW, you can buy assortments of multiple sizes of o-rings at places like Harbor Freight (about ten bucks for several hundred) - that's where I found perfect replacement o-rings.

the other day when i was changing my brake and clutch fluid i took out my brake pads to check them. when i took the bolt/pin out to check the pads, the small 0 ring on the end was shot (it was elongated). what purpose does it serve?

Spare cock ring for Dave :icon_evilgrin::icon_whistle: