CBR1100XX.org Forum

50 Sparks / Sec @ 6000 rpm

BackStreet

Might it be 100 sparks/sec? Isn't every other spark in a particular cylinder wasted since one coil powers two cylinders (spark plugs).

With this arrangement isn't there 1 spark/rotation?

Might it be 100 sparks/sec? Isn't every other spark in a particular cylinder wasted since one coil powers two cylinders (spark plugs).

yes, butt it don't count,,smart ass, so don't count it :icon_naughty: :icon_snooty: :icon_rolleyes::icon_twisted::icon_whistle::icon_confused::icon_redface::icon_evilgrin: :icon_hand: :icon_nono: :icon_think: :icon_cool::icon_smile::icon_smile::icon_smile: lol

Not trying to be a smartass or nitpicker!

The numbers are correct but the units should be expressed as below.

I only bring this up because the units should cancel out just like numbers.

Sometimes just working with the units first makes problems much easier to get a grip on.

6000 Rot/Min * 1 Min/60Sec = 100 Rot/Sec

1 Spark/2 Rot * 100 Rot/Sec = 50 Spark/Sec

yes, butt it don't count,,smart ass, so don't count it

Oh not really trying to be a smart ass. But I wasn't sure if Backstreet wanted to the the sparks/sec or the explosions/sec.

And for another bit of trivia, how many revolutions does the engine on a top fuel dragster complete in an average 1/4 mile run?

Okay, so, I run in wasted spark mode and my motor turns red-line at 13,200 RPM. I also fire 5 sparks per ignition, meaning 5 sparks per turn of the crank. Do the math on that one. Then figure out how many fast it has to spark in 4 degrees of rotation to get 5 sparks in at the top of each power and exhaust stroke!

Hold on while I smoke a dube first!

Okay, so, I run in wasted spark mode and my motor turns red-line at 13,200 RPM. I also fire 5 sparks per ignition, meaning 5 sparks per turn of the crank. Do the math on that one. Then figure out how many fast it has to spark in 4 degrees of rotation to get 5 sparks in at the top of each power and exhaust stroke!

Hold on while I smoke a dube first!

:icon_stick:Hooplehead

MSD?

Well,it fires 5 spark sequence 220 times per second,it takes 1/220X4/360 of sec to do it or it takes 1/220X1/360 of sec for single fire in the sequence.Basically it fires once in 1 deg of crank rotation. :icon_twisted::icon_whistle:

Now,I gotta go and put my head in the ice `couse it is smoking.

BTW,what is the whole idea behind this multi spark deal ?

13200 rpm=220 rev per second. Each rev is 360 deg giving 79200 deg/second. This is 19800 4 deg intervals per second and gives 1/19800= 50 uS between each spark that are separated by 4 degrees. Math is not my strong side, I may be wrong :icon_redface:

Another way of seeing it, is that the ignition then must be capable to ignite the engine 90 times more often (360 deg/4 deg) than a single spark system. This would correspond to 13200*90 = 1 188 000 RPM, so there seems to be something wrong here. My guess is that the ignition just produces one spark, or possibly two, at 13200 rpm.

Which systems are you using, providing 5 sparks per ignition at 13,200 RPM?

If I remember right MSD units is using multiple sparks up to a few thousand RPM only. E.g. producing a number of sparks during 20 degrees at very low RPM's. The basic idea with multiple sparks is to re-ignite the engine in situations where it has problem to run properly (when cold and @ very low RPM’s on high-reving engines with hot camshafts, large runners etc.) At very high RPM's, MSD systems (a couple of years ago) produced just one fat spark per ignition, to permit the ignition coil to recover for the next spark.

It is indeed an MSD. I didn't know the number of sparks changed as the RPM's increase, but now that you have done some of the math, it sounds likely.

MSD is good stuff. Even though the ignition box may deliver a single spark at high RPM, it is a real strong one both in power and duration. The coils primary is feeded with several hundred volts by the MSD box, instead of 12 volt and this makes a lot of energy which is almost a must in turbo and nitrous applications. Especially when the tip of a plug is burnt away where a stock system could not ignite but the MSD, which may save the engine from a major damage caused by misfire.