CBR1100XX.org Forum

Little problem replacing front sprocket

pcinpdx

OK, so I've taken off the cover to expose the front sprocket and cleaned everything up. When trying to replace the cover it does not go all the way on - it's sticking out a 1/4" or so. One thing I should mention is that the clutch lifter rod started coming out when I pulled the cover off but I believe it seated back in properly.

I'm thinking for some reason the piston for the clutch got pushed out a bit while cleaning the cover. If this is the case I would imagine I could open the bleed valve and then push the cover on. I'm not too worried about getting air in the line because I'm replacing the stock clutch line after the the sprocket swap.

Can someone help me out here?

OK, so I've taken off the cover to expose the front sprocket and cleaned everything up. When trying to replace the cover it does not go all the way on - it's sticking out a 1/4" or so. One thing I should mention is that the clutch lifter rod started coming out when I pulled the cover off but I believe it seated back in properly.

I'm thinking for some reason the piston for the clutch got pushed out a bit while cleaning the cover. If this is the case I would imagine I could open the bleed valve and then push the cover on. I'm not too worried about getting air in the line because I'm replacing the stock clutch line after the the sprocket swap.

Can someone help me out here?

did you replace the front sprocket?

sounds stupid but if I remember correctly one side sticks out further if you put it on wrong.

I've got it dialed in. Part of the issue was that I didn't have the spacer in, but I knew that. What I didn't realize is the thickness of the spacer. That, and once I did have it in place there was still about a 1/8" gap. I then put in the bolts that hold the cover on and tightened them (carefully) to make sure there was nothing binding. The cover sucked up as it should and everything is golden. Thanks for the push in the right direction Stan. :icon_thumbsup:

Now I've got to decide if I'm going to go with a 16T or stock 17T sprocket up front...

I've got it dialed in. Part of the issue was that I didn't have the spacer in, but I knew that. What I didn't realize is the thickness of the spacer. That, and once I did have it in place there was still about a 1/8" gap. I then put in the bolts that hold the cover on and tightened them (carefully) to make sure there was nothing binding. The cover sucked up as it should and everything is golden. Thanks for the push in the right direction Stan. :icon_thumbsup:

Now I've got to decide if I'm going to go with a 16T or stock 17T sprocket up front...

You will definately feel the extra grunt from the lower lower gear ratio, but it will make 1st almost useless, 2nd a whole lot more fun adn you will loose some MPG do to higher revs at freeway speeds plus add a little vibration as ou can't get a rubber dampened 16 like stock 17. I think the XX shifts better with a 16 or 18 than it does the stock 17, without using the clutch.

The one think about using the 18 tooth is that it makes 1st usable on tight hairpins and 2nd becomes the only gear you need up to about 65 -75, so riding 36, you can make alot less shifts.

The broken record speaks again:

Did you wipe off your rod?

(clean the clutch actuation rod)

Yes, both after cleaning up inside the cover and area around the rod and also after looking at TopXXCop's last NWS post...

You will definately feel the extra grunt from the lower lower gear ratio, but it will make 1st almost useless, 2nd a whole lot more fun adn you will loose some MPG do to higher revs at freeway speeds plus add a little vibration as ou can't get a rubber dampened 16 like stock 17. I think the XX shifts better with a 16 or 18 than it does the stock 17, without using the clutch.

The one think about using the 18 tooth is that it makes 1st usable on tight hairpins and 2nd becomes the only gear you need up to about 65 -75, so riding 36, you can make alot less shifts.

Won't the 18T also help with speedo correction? I'm *thinking* about a speedo healer but if the 18T is going to bring me closer to reality I might skip the speedo healer for now. That, and my farkle list is outpacing my budget. :icon_surprised:

The broken record speaks again:

Did you wipe off your rod?

(clean the clutch actuation rod)

Yes, both after cleaning up inside the cover and area around the rod and also after looking at TopXXCop's last NWS post...

Won't the 18T also help with speedo correction? I'm *thinking* about a speedo healer but if the 18T is going to bring me closer to reality I might skip the speedo healer for now. That, and my farkle list is outpacing my budget. :icon_surprised:

18T will correct speedo and 16T will make it like 15% off.

Thanks for the info Chris. I went ahead with the 16T just because I want a little more grunt down low. That and White Buffalo didn't have an 18T in stock. Heck, if I don't like the 16T I can easily swap it out for an 18T. Front sprockets are cheap.

Looks like I'll be ordering that speedo healer...

Thanks for the info Chris. I went ahead with the 16T just because I want a little more grunt down low. That and White Buffalo didn't have an 18T in stock. Heck, if I don't like the 16T I can easily swap it out for an 18T. Front sprockets are cheap.

Damm it, I will have to throw on my 16T so I can keep up with you on 36.

Where you guys buying your sprockets? I was thinking about going bigger so my revs stay lower at highway speed. That, and I would like a wee longer first and second. Yeah I said "wee longer" :icon_whistle:

Damm it, I will have to throw on my 16T so I can keep up with you on 36.

LoL...I'm doing that just so I can keep up enough to smell your exhaust! :icon_smile:

Where you guys buying your sprockets? I was thinking about going bigger so my revs stay lower at highway speed. That, and I would like a wee longer first and second. Yeah I said "wee longer" :icon_whistle:

Check out http://www.whitebuffaloracing.net.