CBR1100XX.org Forum

Wanted: Pair of Lower Fork Tubes

Remember me saying I was going to get Racetech to do my front suspension? Well, I did, and now it's gonna cost me a set of of lower fork tubes, PROBABLY.

Here's what happened...

John at CTR Suspension said he couldn't do them until mid-March, so I had them off and ready to go when I saw there is a powdercoating company just a couple of miles from my house. So I took the stuff apart, brught them to the guy and he said, sure, he's done a bunch of forks.

I dropped them off at CTR when the time came. Jihn called me a day or two later and told me the lowers had too much "blowby" in them & he couldn't do them until they were cleaned or replaced. He told e that powdercoating was a bad idea for fork tubes anyway.

I brought them home and used a very small buffing wheel from a bench grinder (never used) on the end of an extension from one of those nerfball type auto cleaners and chrome polish. Well apparently I scored the walls of them.

John rebuilt them, but he said he didn't think they would last very long before the seals start leaking and getting crud in the valves. This really really sucks. He suggested tearing them down after 2,000 miles and inspecting them. This is really really gonna suck. I am hoping to get another set of tubes and have them ready for swapping the 2 weeks between WVXXT and my trip out west.

Any helpers in here? Suggestions? Condolences?

Lay off the apple pie. (save me some)

So there was powder coating on the inside of the lower and you scored the inside cleaning it out?

If that is so, your slider and fork bushings may wear quicker, but your seals are sealing on the upper tube, not the area you scored. If your upper tubes have surface imperfections, that would abrade the seal and cause leaks.

Try it out and see.

Now go bring me a samich bitch :icon_evilgrin:

What year is your XX?

[

I can't buy them yet, since I'm out the $600 plus for the rebuild, but I do need to get a bead on how much to start squirreling away over the next several weeks.

And PorterB, you're right. I was stating the situation inelegantly and incorrectly. Bushings is what I meant. And as for the pie, I have remained admirably (for me) sober in 2008. Sober to the point of annoyance. Sober to the point of resentment.