CBR1100XX.org Forum

High Speed Weaving?

Para045

I think it was Airborne who said to try checking the force required to move the handlebars with the front wheel in the air. You may find you`ll have to back way off on the torque.

I did loosen them slightly from the std settings but will try loosening them more and trying it out :icon_confused:

Sounds like you need to loan me your girl :icon_evilgrin: . Perhaps she could tell me if my bike isn't set up right. Sorry, I just find it funny how she noticed first, then you found the issue. I've never ridden on the back of a bird, probably scare the shit outta me! Have you been adjusting 1 thing at a time? Hard to know which setting is making the difference, if you do a bunch then ride.

I think it was Airborne who said to try checking the force required to move the handlebars with the front wheel in the air. You may find you`ll have to back way off on the torque.

I did loosen them slightly from the std settings but will try loosening them more and trying it out :icon_confused:

Yes it was me. On mine I went down to like 14 or 15 ft. lb. to get the correct pull weight.

• 2 weeks later...
I replied in the other thread before I saw this,

What I do to measure rider sag alone, is put a tie rap around the tube, slide up to the seal and get on. get off and measure where it moved to. I also when I have help is to use a sharpie to mark on the tube.

Well I tried this today and got a front static sag of ~33mm and rider sag of ~47mm with the rear shock on the second softest P/L setting :icon_think:

Then got the missus to help and got a front static of 32-33mm and a rear static of 15-20mm after several tries.

The front rider sag was 43-47mm and rear rider sag 48-53mm :icon_think:

I then jacked up the P/L on the rear to the hardest setting and got a front static/rider of ~41mm and a rear static of 2-7mm and rear rider of 27-33mm :icon_confused:

The way the sags work out on the original softer rear P/L the back is sagging lower than the front which should slow the twitchiness and make it more stable not more "unstable" :icon_confused:

Haven't been for a ride with the new settings yet and haven't changed the bearing P/L yet :icon_surprised:

Hopefully tomorrow :icon_biggrin:

Haven't been for a ride with the new settings yet and haven't changed the bearing P/L yet :icon_surprised:

Finally got her out for another test run and the weave is still there from ~180-210kmh but then seems to go away up to ~240, even tried dropping the rear PL back two positions and no luck :icon_confused:

She did seem to corner slightly better on full PL apart from a couple of instances where the back end felt like it stepped out at ~170kmh :icon_confused:

Well next step I guess is to back some more PL off the head bearings :icon_surprised:

Finally got her out for another test run and the weave is still there from ~180-210kmh but then seems to go away up to ~240, even tried dropping the rear PL back two positions and no luck :icon_confused:

She did seem to corner slightly better on full PL apart from a couple of instances where the back end felt like it stepped out at ~170kmh :icon_confused:

Well next step I guess is to back some more PL off the head bearings :icon_surprised:

Personally I'd be playing with the rear rebound damping first. Maybe the weave you feel is actually the rear end wallowing due to not having enough rebound damping.

Personally I'd be playing with the rear rebound damping first. Maybe the weave you feel is actually the rear end wallowing due to not having enough rebound damping.

I did wonder about damping when doing some reading but it has only started since I fitted the Forks, heavier springs, lighter oil and tapered bearings :icon_confused:

Even when I had the 8mm shim in back it never did it no matter what settings I had on the shock :icon_surprised:

Make sure that the steering stem bearings are not adding noticable drag. Excessive damping or drag of the bike's steering will cause the rider to oversteer somewhat, and resulting in a constant oscillation around the desired direction.

I suspect that the other points discussed about suspension height will be more related to quick oscillations, causing headshake. So your shim and fork height are probably not it , IMHO.

If either the fork or rear shock damping is extremely soft then it too could lead to a slow oscillation, but you would probably have noticed that as an obvious cause. The overtight bearing issue is very unobvious until you have dealt with it.

I had Tomek ride the zxxx this week end and he thought my stem bearings are to tight. I did not think so but, with where this is going I am wondering.

I thought it was to loose.