CBR1100XX.org Forum

What tires are you all running and what wear?

TuffguyF4i

Time for new rubber.

My current tires are totally SHOT and look pretty old. (previous owner)

What do you guys run? The XX is my sport touring bike, so i'm most interested in a good ST tire with good wear and decient grip. I ride twisties fairly aggressively but i'm not a kneedragger with the XX.

I run Avon Storms on the F4i and they seem pretty good.

Thanks!

Pirelli Diablo Front, Strada rear best combo for me yet. Turn good, stick good, last well and reasonably priced. On my second set. Before that, favorite set up was Michlin Pilot Sport Front, Road rear.

Wishing you many happy trails whatever you decide-----kel

My bike came with Pilot Roads front & rear - hated 'em! Switched to Metz M1 front and Z6 rear, great grip!

I got over 10K miles from the front M1, and about 5.5-6K from the rear Z-6 (I ran this combo for about 25K miles).

This last time around, I threw the new Bridgestone BT-021 on the rear, and kept the M1 up front. The BT-021 was (a lot) cheaper than the Z6, grips as well, and at 4K miles so far, looks like it will last anywhere from 6-7K miles... I like it so far!

FWIW, the BT-021 on the FRONT of heavier sportbikes like the Bird seems to have really quick wear. No biggie for me, very happy to stay w/ the M1 up front, and it works just fine with the BT-021 rear (shrug)

Pirelli Diablo front and rear. Had them on since June of last year. Handle well in all conditions. Not quite as sticky the Pilot powers. But do well for me.

I'm running Pilot Powers on my XX. The first rear lasted about 3,000 miles and the front is still going strong at about 5,500 miles. I really like the handling and grip so I don't mind the reduced mileage.

For years I ran the Metzler Sportec M1, got about 5000 kilometers out of the rear and 10000 k's out of the front. Have for the past year and a half been using the M3's, great tire, stick well in all conditions and get about the same mileage. I don't mind spending the extra $$ on tires as they instill confidence and are cheaper than dropping the bird.

Oh, and I hate all Dunlop tires. Tried them once and took them off well before they were done.

Brian

If you're happy with the Storms on your F4, you'll be more than happy with them on the XX. Probably the best mileage tire out there.

If you're after more grip, then there a lot of other options.

What tires came off the XX, and how did you like them?

Have the Storms now and can't stand them........ they just don't want to turn in and it drives me nuts.

Cant wait to go back to the ROADTEC Z6's. Last set i ran them front and rear and loved them..... yes, knee dragging loved them. Great in rain. The front will push some if pressed but so do all tires on a big bike. I feel like doing a big ol'long burn out to just be rid of the Storms.

IMO

Edit to add milage: Roadtec Z6 (Front-8,372 miles Rear 4,503 miles) Aggressive rider.

If you're happy with the Storms on your F4, you'll be more than happy with them on the XX. Probably the best mileage tire out there.

If you're after more grip, then there a lot of other options.

What tires came off the XX, and how did you like them?

Well,, i'm not sure the same tires that i'm happy with on my F4i will be a good fit on the XX...thats what i'm trying to figure out what you guys have had success with.

Another Avon Storm user just posted about them sucking for turn in,,,,frankly they turn in GREAT on my F4i, but might not with the XX.

Bridgestones came off the XX. They had some very strange wear patterns....i only ran them for 3k miles last year, so i'm not sure if it was me or the previous owner or the bike setup.

I run Dunlops on ALL my bikes. I dont really care about mileage even though I ride a lot I take turns with the bikes. From the 207's on up they are just great tires. I have tried just about every other tire and nothing has the same feel, feedback, grip, and personally who gives a shit about wear unless all you do is tour. All the duc riders give me shit cuz I have qualifiers on my ducs and they are all snoooty pilot powers or pirelli's fuck em all! Can I say fuck, I know this aint XM radio... oh yeah we can do fuck...lol

Well,, i'm not sure the same tires that i'm happy with on my F4i will be a good fit on the XX...thats what i'm trying to figure out what you guys have had success with.

Another Avon Storm user just posted about them sucking for turn in,,,,frankly they turn in GREAT on my F4i, but might not with the XX.

My personal preference is to run a softer front tire with more of a touring rear. I don't know the Avon models anymore, but I think it's the 59 that is the sporty front, with a 56 rear. I've had issues with pushing the front end when I ride. Seeing as it's on just about every bike I've ridden (except my friend's GSX-R), I'm assuming it's my riding style.

Typically someone would push a 600 through the twisties more than they would on a GT, hence less of a need for all out grip. If you haven't had any grip issues with a touring tire on your 600, you probably won't on the XX.

Bridgestones came off the XX. They had some very strange wear patterns....i only ran them for 3k miles last year, so i'm not sure if it was me or the previous owner or the bike setup.

Bridgestones do that. Which model? I just ran through a set of 014's, and would not buy another set. Not only was the grip marginal, but they wore very quickly, as well.

I ran a number of set of D208's on my bike. The rears were shot at 4-6k, fronts cupped bad by 8K.

I now run Pilot Roads. 10K+ on the rear, 14+ on the front ( when I didn't puncture them). I am very comfortable with how they handle. In gravel, they step out a little, but hook back up very fast. I've done quite a bit of wet riding with no slipping.

I will probably try the PR2 next, if the reviews keep coming in good.

I live in flat land, but do many trips to the N. Georgia mountains. Riding style is moderate hard with little or no chicken stripe.

I also had a instant blowout last year on my rear PR. 1 inch gash cut through the tread at 60+ mph. I heard the pow through ear plugs and full face, but had to stop to be sure the tire was flat. On a straight road, the tire was very well behaved with no air. This alone is a great reason for me to buy one again.

I also had a instant blowout last year on my rear PR. 1 inch gash cut through the tread at 60+ mph. I heard the pow through ear plugs and full face, but had to stop to be sure the tire was flat. On a straight road, the tire was very well behaved with no air. This alone is a great reason for me to buy one again.

all I can say is wow!

I’ve never run Avon’s on my F4 so I can’t comment on that. But going from Metzelers to Avons on my XX was night and day as far as turn in but that’s what’s important to me. Don’t get me wrong the Storms do hold the road and seem to stick and are great in the wet. I haven’t used them at the track or drag raced them…….yet. They just don't fall into the turns like I like.

It is amazing the differences of opinion even on the same bike!

I like the Metzelers and will likely switch back at the next change. Great mileage and wet weather grip...

It is amazing the differences of opinion even on the same bike!

I imagine is has a lot to do with riding style, bike set up, road conditions, climate, weight and so on.

+1

Personnaly Metzlers and Dunlops wear funny for me.. and cause handling problems...

Dunlops Wear out faster than any other tire I've ridden on... and aren't that much stickier...

Avons in this Climate, Road surfaces, and Temperatures... don't stick for shit.

Which leaves me with Michelin PR's.

They are the best all around tires for what I do......

OH ya I did step the Rear out the other day... but I was only 2 miles away from the house and it was 42 degrees out... :icon_rolleyes:

:icon_twisted:

Plus Northman wrote:

My personal preference is to run a softer front tire with more of a touring rear.

IN my opinion...That's some good advise there.

Good Luck.

:icon_shocked: That is a very reassuring story. I run PR2s. I hope they are capable of the same performance if that ever happens to me. I think I would shit myself if I stopped and saw something like that.

On a slightly related topic, has anyone else noticed the Pilot Powers bleed air. I had to top them up constantly. Friends noticed it too after I mentioned it. (Once a week, not dangerous or anything). I only had one set but I really liked them. I check the PR2s often but they rarely need more air.

For New Zealand conditions (4 seasons in one day!), the Avon Storms are the best tyres I've ever had on the bike, and phenominal in the wet. When first released, some front tyres had a shimmy due to a manufacturing problem but that was fixed. I'd happily fit a full Storm set again but have just put on a Storm rear and an Avon Viper sport softer compound front to evaluate the combination for the importer. So far, i'm really impressed.

Geoff

Avon_Storm_End_of_Life_Evaluation.pdf

The most comfortable all-round set I have had so far is the Metzeler Z6 combo. Right now I'm running Pirelli Diablo Corsas (I get them for almost nothing as practice track tyres - 10 laps and they're mine)

The Diablos don't last particularly well, and they are crap on cold wet roads, but with a bit of warmth in them they are quite nice. Best so far has been 16000km on the Z6 - the Diablos give me 6000km on the rear and about 9000km to the front - only severe cupping makes me change the fronts as there is still plenty wear on them.

Running nearly stock. I don't drag knees. The Pirelli Diablos are doing well for me. Smooth as silk. Still new so I can't verify their wear.

• 1 year later...

Uh oh. I went on a 300 mile trip and got back with cord showing on my rear diablo. WTF! This tire has just barely 2,500mi on it and I have NEVER done a burnout or skid to a stop! I only weigh 150lbs and my rider (20% of the time) weighs the same. This tire had awesome traction and I loved the ride, but 2500mi? Im scared to change because I can't deal with less wet traction :icon_whistle: . Someone convince me the strata (or another compound) rear will give me better tire life w/o losing the rear as my knee grazes the pebbles.

Found this review linky Pirelli tire review