CBR1100XX.org Forum

VFR clip-ons vs. Helibars?

bigblock

I am looking to add either VFR clips-ons or Helibars to my 98 bird... New Helibars seem to be the same price everywhere and used are hard to come by... VFR bars can be had from Honda Direct Line for less than the Helibars but, they're still not cheap... Has anyone made the conversion? Opinions? Ideas?

I prefer the VFR bars. There's not much of a difference in position, but I think the VFR bars look better, due to the visible welds of the Heli bars... the Heli's look cheaper.

You can find VFR's for less. I just found a set for another board member for $100 shipped.

I prefer the VFR bars. There's not much of a difference in position, but I think the VFR bars look better, due to the visible welds of the Heli bars... the Heli's look cheaper.

You can find VFR's for less. I just found a set for another board member for $100 shipped.

Yeah, but what did that board member have to do for you? :icon_evilgrin:

Two things that always sell: Helibars and Corbin Seats. You lose about $50 if you bought new and they still look new. I consider it a rental fee.

You can also buy the Helibars for a VFR but you may need longer brake hoses. Should be comfy. Anyone try this?

I am looking to add either VFR clips-ons or Helibars to my 98 bird... New Helibars seem to be the same price everywhere and used are hard to come by... VFR bars can be had from Honda Direct Line for less than the Helibars but, they're still not cheap... Has anyone made the conversion? Opinions? Ideas?

I have the VFR bars on my XX and they helped a lot with my comfort and as said they look a lot more like stock bars than the Heli's :icon_surprised:

VFR's all the way. They are cheaper, look better, and I like the angle better than the heli-bars.

If you already have after-market brake lines, they should work with the VFR bars and the stock clutch line works also if you bend the metal tubing at the frame just a little bit.

I have the VFR bars on my XX and they helped a lot with my comfort and as said they look a lot more like stock bars than the Heli's :icon_surprised:

+1 - I also have them. Feel good (and I think it has more to do with the out angle of the bars rather than the height) and look stock compared to Heli's. You will need to cut off the locating tab on your brake and clutch M/C to make stock hydraulic lines work, or get longer lines.

You can also buy the Helibars for a VFR but you may need longer brake hoses. Should be comfy. Anyone try this?

This can also be done but look even less stock than XX Heli's. Others have said that it raises you up too high which then presents problems in other areas (namely back and thighs).

+2 or more.

My bike came with Hellibars when I bought it used in 99. I never liked the looks of them or the bolts to mount them, the allen heads got chewed up real fast from me repositioning them a few times.

I got a set of VFR bars off a VFR site for $75 I think a few years back and still love them. Slightly higher and further back than Helli and look WAY better.

+2 or more.

My bike came with Hellibars when I bought it used in 99. I never liked the looks of them or the bolts to mount them, the allen heads got chewed up real fast from me repositioning them a few times.

I got a set of VFR bars off a VFR site for $75 I think a few years back and still love them. Slightly higher and further back than Helli and look WAY better.

Thanks for all the responses, my mind is made up...

now if anyone has a set...

Pete in PA, you don't happen to remember what that VFR site was? :icon_biggrin:

• 2 weeks later...
Did you have to do any finagling to get them to fit or put longer lines?

VFR bars and Heli's should fit with stock lines - My VFR bars did :icon_surprised:

Just have to unclip the throttle cables from the clips next to the steering kneck under the front of the tank to get a bit more length :icon_think: