CBR1100XX.org Forum

key

Jetsetter

I was recently on a trip to australia . I bought some accessories from a Honda dealer and got him to look up my engine and frame number / He reckons the numbers do not exist .

Now I am worried as I have only one key for this bike. God help me if i lose it , bad enough being in Vietnam with the lack of support services here.

Can anyone tell me what is the normal procedure for getting a new key for their bird ?

Thanks.

Assuming it's a 1100XX the Honda dealer should have or be able to order a blank. Then have a locksmith cut it as others stated. Recently had one cut for my 98 bird...

Porter has the right idea, but it may not be as simplistic as that.

Do you have any idea where your bike was imported from? There are different key systems in use.

Any way to take a picture of your key and lock for us?

Exactly - If it is like the later Aussie bikes it has the HISS security system which is a transponder chip in the key mated to the ECU and you can only get 4 ( I think) keys coded to the ECU and if you lose the last key you will need a new ECU :icon_wall: :icon_think:

If it doesn't have HISS then any locksmith etc can cut a key ( actually even with HISS a key can be cut just wont start without the transponder :icon_surprised: )

post-8388-1199504140.jpgHehe , yeah , i wish it was as easy as going to my local lock-smith and getting one cut , silly me ,, why didnt i think of that . Truth is I did ,, my local lock smith is a street vendor ,,,i.e , a small stall on the street even he laughed at me and used his best english to say "computor" while pointing at the key ,, and you gotta remember , this guy must be smart cos he has never seen a bike like this .

As for a VIN , i never said i had one , i can only go off the engine and frame number. The VIN plate does not exist. Unsure of the bikes origins ,,, it came to Vietnam from Thailand before Thailand , I have no clue. Just hope it wasnt stolen off some poor bloke . God I hope not. If it was stolen , at least they remembered to steal the key with it.

Heres the pic rockmeupto

I have never had the fairing off , but i am going to remove it and the tank today (cracked the bottom of fairing the other night)

I know where the VIN is supposed to be , but its not there , so I'll look further.

Interesting you can only get 4 keys ,,,,,without a VIN i probably need a new ECU , just hope they are plug and play . :icon_rolleyes:

The ECU's are plug and play....and expensive. The four keys maximum for the ECU is also correct so you should have 2 left if you can find the information somehow. I believe the blanks are matched to the bike with a gizmo rather than ordered as a working set but I'm not sure of this. If it is the former you should be OK, if you can find a dealer with the machine.

For my Suzuki track bike, ordered a blank from Suzuki, did not need any type of VIN or key number and then took it to a locksmith and he used my original to cut the blank. Amazingly enough, dealers do not cut keys. Go figure.

Ha!

See that rest of the world? Y'all thought you were hot shit having the 'bird until 2007!!!

We can get as many keys as we want and cheap too :icon_nana:

:icon_confused:

Anyhow, I wonder if you could install a U.S. spec ECU and ignition switch to save money?

Ha!

Anyhow, I wonder if you could install a U.S. spec ECU and ignition switch to save money?

I believe you would have to change out the wiring loom to convert from Euro spec to US spec. I sent a loom over to England last year to be able to bypass the HISS system on the Euro spec Birds.

Ha!

See that rest of the world? Y'all thought you were hot shit having the 'bird until 2007!!!

We can get as many keys as we want and cheap too :icon_nana:

:icon_confused:

Bastard! :icon_naughty:

I still cant see why they couldn't get a blank key with the chip and code it to your ECU via the original key :icon_confused: assuming that others weren't done before :icon_surprised: I wouldn't think they need the VIN :icon_confused:

I still cant see why they couldn't get a blank key with the chip and code it to your ECU via the original key :icon_confused: assuming that others weren't done before :icon_surprised: I wouldn't think they need the VIN :icon_confused:

So Para , do you think they would just read the chip on the key then ?

No Honda dealer within coo-ee here ,, matter of a fact no bloody mechanic around either except me. But I have you guys so i reckon i'll be right. :icon_evilgrin:

So Para , do you think they would just read the chip on the key then ?

No Honda dealer within coo-ee here ,, matter of a fact no bloody mechanic around either except me. But I have you guys so i reckon i'll be right. :icon_evilgrin:

just how do they code the keys? we have several Cadillacs and such here they have the chip in the keys, I found that I can code a 'new' key once it has been cut by starting the car with the 'old' key then shut it down and quickly insert the new key and start the car.. the new key is then coded.

it may or may not work and I have never heard of it before but only stumbled on it cause we lose keys a lot...... just a thought may help or not......................

2 cents

Does anyone know how it actually works ? is it a sensor deal ?

My key isnt straight and i am hoping that it doesnt break before i get a new one . Actually going to get just a blank cut and see if it will work in the precence of the chipped black bit.

Bloody hope so !!!

mack ,, did you see that the wallabies havent picked a coach . They are interviewing a KIWI for the job !!!!!

A sad sad day to evun guve hem thu unterview.

My key isnt straight and i am hoping that it doesnt break before i get a new one . Actually going to get just a blank cut and see if it will work in the precence of the chipped black bit.

Bloody hope so !!!

mack ,, did you see that the wallabies havent picked a coach . They are interviewing a KIWI for the job !!!!!

A sad sad day to evun guve hem thu unterview.

so a skippy huh?

news is slow over where you are mate,

they hired a traitorous fuck from canterbury, hes getting a mil a year $aus.

Robbie Deans it is for the Wannabies.............

:icon_twisted:

Alrighty then.......

With the HISS, you're between a rock and a hard place.

First, I'd have another key cut, and see if you can start the bike with the keys held head to head, so to speak. That will keep you from breaking this one off in the ignition. Then we need to find a HISS expert. Have you checked with the blokes in old blighty yet, including Jaws?

I am not sure on the specifics with the HISS and coding as my XX is carbed and no HISS but was under the impression that the dealer needed to order a new "blnk key with chip which was then encoded using the original key and then the key needed to be cut :icon_confused: ( either by a dealer or locksmith :icon_surprised: )

I have seen on the UK sites BIRD and IXXRA that they have somehow cut the chip out of the key when they become worn and insert them into a "keyfob" and it still works so the old black bit and new blank should work :icon_confused:

I will try posting your question on the local boards OzBB and OzVFR as they have a lot of guys who are up on the later bikes with HISS :icon_surprised:

EDIT: Just saw Joes post after I posted this and agree try Jaws on Straightfour@aol.com

Here's what I've been able to locate. This is for a 929, but I doubt very much that Honda would change the HISS unit between models...particularly because its a governmental requirement, and its doubtful that type of mandate would allow for differences in the system between models. There's frequent reference to only Honda representatives (that is, a Honda dealer) being able to do this. Most Honda mechanics aren't that much smarter than me, so my presumption is that they have a special tool to do this. I'm also going to presume that this tool is not some high-tech $18,000 custom built eprom flasher....it would be an economic hardship to require each dealer in a HISS country to buy a machine of this nature. Its a simple RFID system, and the special tool is likely no more than the appropriate connection block to ensure that the 12 volts used goes to the correct terminal...the ignition pulse generator circuit.

Ideally, we could find a European or Japanese Honda technicion who has seen or used the tool to verify this. I'd not attempt this on the strength of my conjecture and what I found on the internet, but its a place to start when searching for data. Glad I'm not in the situation you're in. I'd have that key on a cable around my neck.

"From the OEM Honda Workshop Manual for 2000 & 2001 CBR929RR

Key Registration Procedures

When the key has been lost, or additional spare key is required:

1. Obtain a new transponder key.

2. Grind the key in accordance with the shape of the original key.

3. Apply 12V battery voltage to the ignition pulse generator lines of the engine control module (ECM) using the special tool (page 20-5).

4. Turn the ignition switch ON with the original key. The immobiliser indicator comes on and it remains on.

*The code of the original key is recognised by the ECM.

*If there is any problem in the immobiliser system, the system will enter the diagnostic mode and the indicator will remain on for approx. ten seconds, then it will indicate the diagnostic code (page 20-5).

5. Disconnect the red clip of the inspection adaptor from the battery positive (+) terminal for two seconds or more, then connect it again. The indicator remains on for approx. two seconds, then it blinks four times repeatedly.

*The immobiliser system (HISS) enters the registration mode. Registrations of all key except the original key inserted in the ignition switch are cancelled. (Registration of the lost key or spare key is cancelled.)

NOTE:

The spare key must be registered again.

6. Turn the ignition switch OFF and remove the key.

7. Turn the ignition switch ON with a new key or the spare key. (Never use the key registered in previous step.) The indicator comes on for two seconds, then it blinks four times repeatedly.

*The new key or spare key is registered in the ECM.

*If there is any problem in the registration, the system will enter the diagnostic mode and the indicator will remain on for approx. ten seconds, then it will indicate the diagnostic code (page 20-6).

CAUTION:

Keep the other transponder key away from the immobiliser receiver more than 50mm (2.0 in).

8. Repeat the steps 6 and 7 when you continuously register the other new key.

NOTE:

The ECM can store up to four key codes. (The four keys can be registered.)

9. Turn the ignition switch OFF, remove the inspection adaptor and connect the ignition pulse generator connector.

10. Turn the ignition ON with the registered key.

*The immobiliser system (HISS) returns to the normal mode.

11. Check that the engine can be started using all registered key."

This off OzBB

i am in the middle of getting this done as we speak

1: go to honda dealer buy key blank $55.00

2: go and get key cut at a locksmith

3: ring up and book into honda dealer workshop they need an original key and the new key as they program the key code into the ecu about $40.00 labour at team homo (moto) in springwood

and about 40 mins waiting around :roll:

they have a machine that plugs into the loom under the tank that enables the ecu to be programmed to accept the code which is already programmed into the new key

there is a maximum of 4 key codes that can be programmed into the ecu and two came programmed with the bike so that only leaves 2 more possible 8O

after that you throw the ecu in the bin and get a new one or get a REAL ECU i.e motec,wolf3d or similar and get it all wired up and loose the H.I.S.S 8O 8O 8O 8O

this was what honda australia told me after a lengthy call to their tech dept

IT IS THE ECU THAT GETS PROGRAMMED NOT THE KEY THAT COMES WITH A CODE FROM THE FACTORY

this only applies to FI birds that have H.I.S.S

Cheers

James

So the hard part is having the machine to code the key that plugs into the ECU, do you have a Honda dealer there :icon_rolleyes:

This off OzBB

i am in the middle of getting this done as we speak

1: go to honda dealer buy key blank $55.00

2: go and get key cut at a locksmith

3: ring up and book into honda dealer workshop they need an original key and the new key as they program the key code into the ecu about $40.00 labour at team homo (moto) in springwood

and about 40 mins waiting around :roll:

they have a machine that plugs into the loom under the tank that enables the ecu to be programmed to accept the code which is already programmed into the new key

there is a maximum of 4 key codes that can be programmed into the ecu and two came programmed with the bike so that only leaves 2 more possible 8O

after that you throw the ecu in the bin and get a new one or get a REAL ECU i.e motec,wolf3d or similar and get it all wired up and loose the H.I.S.S 8O 8O 8O 8O

this was what honda australia told me after a lengthy call to their tech dept

IT IS THE ECU THAT GETS PROGRAMMED NOT THE KEY THAT COMES WITH A CODE FROM THE FACTORY

this only applies to FI birds that have H.I.S.S

Cheers

James

So the hard part is having the machine to code the key that plugs into the ECU, do you have a Honda dealer there :icon_rolleyes:

Now that sums it up real well . Thanks ,,, so the wash is i dont just take the old key ,,, i need to take the bike . Bugger huh !!

As mentioned before ,,,big bikes are rarer than rocking horse poop here , have honda dealers but they work on single cylinder scooters. Not a viet mechanic i have found in 6 years i would take a "bike" to.

getting that new blank cut today ,,,, see if it works piggybacked with the chipped key.

Reading around a few sites ,,, most people dont seem real impressed with the HISS, although it must go a long way to stop your bike being stolen.

Cheers , i'll let you know how i go with the piggyback system