CBR1100XX.org Forum

When to change plugs????????

BIG BOY

I can't remember the interval for Iridium plugs.

16K, IIRC. Might be more than that... been awhile since I've seen the maintanence schedule for '01 and later models, which come stock with Iridiums from the factory.

It's 32,000 miles for the 2001 and later with Iridium plugs

Changed my 2002 plugs at 29k and noticed a little difference in performance, and a little improvement in mpg, but not a whole lot.... although i ride like a wimp :grin:

Yeah, but what about a '98 WITH iridium plugs?

It's a slightly different electrical situation with the pre-99, non-EFI Blackbirds. Although the alternator has a good bit less capacity on the '97-'98 carbed bikes (390-watts @5000RPM, nominal), I am unsure how much (if any) the ignition system itself really changed over the years. It might have changed. The alternator is of course different. The regulator/retifier is different. Are the coils different? Other ignition components different? Maybe. A quick comparison of part numbers of various ignition system components might provide some indication.

My suspicion is that you can prolly go 32K also, but.... I don't know for sure.

I just changed out the platinum plugs in my '98 at 19,000KM. The bike was running a bit rough and since it didn't immediately appear to be fuel or carb balance issues the plugs were the next easiest thing to check.

No 1 was stuffed - all fouled up with unburnt fuel and stuff. Seemed it wasn't firing properly which I traced back to a faulty lead on No 1. The other plugs were in good repair although some deposit characteristic of running a little too rich or too long on idle was present. I surmised this was probably due to bad firing on No 1 since I checked them only 8000KM ago when I balanced the carbs and all four were spot on like new.

I always check plugs when I tune as their condition will tell you alot about how the engine is running.

Replaced the lead and the plugs. Gone with the Iridium version now. Maybe a slightly warmer plug as she warms up a bit faster and easier now than before. I could also be wrong - the lead may have been gradually breaking down over a long time too.