CBR1100XX.org Forum

Argh my horn!

MiDNiTXX

My horn stopped working recently. Tonight I took apart the switch and it was fine (completed the circuit), then I went to test the output to the horn but the battery in my voltmeter died so I wasn't able to confirm the power to the horn. I did jump the horn straight to the battery and sure enough it works (I dont think I have ever seen a horn go out).

What else can I check? The fuse is fine. I went over the wiring diagram but thats not much help for me :) It looks to me that the horn basically feeds off the turn signal relay...and the turn signals are working.

I feel so helpless without it, someones going to run me over!

The stock horn sucks ass anyway, so this is a good excuse to replace it.

I just recently did this to my FJR, as it, too, sports your typical crap horn most Japanese bikes have (though strangely enough, the FJR is fitted with two horns right from the factory.)

Instead of FIAMMs this time, I found a much LOUDER horn then the 125db FIAMMs I installed on the Blackbird. The FJR received a pair of 138db :shock: MAGNUM BLASTERS that I scored from Schuck's Auto for $13.99 each (get both the "hi-note" and "lo-note"... trust me.)

Here is the full write-up: http://www.fjrtech.com/getdbitem.cfm?item=24

On the right is a 138db MAGNUM BLASTER Hi-Note electric trumpet horn, on the left, the worthless piezo cheese that was replaced:

horncomparo.jpg

The last time I used my horn was about a year ago to get another rider's attention when some half-naked chick walked by.

Who uses their horn? For what? If you need it, you should be bailing out of the situation instead.

i'm with swampy on that one! :pointup:

but, one day i did want to use mine, it was in a parking lot as someone was backing up and gonna hit me.. i had nowhere to go....

.... so i bought one similiar to the one above in a low tone.... works good maynard :grin:

It's more than likely your bar/switch assembly.  If you've run straps over it to haul the bike, or had it on and off a bit, it doesn't seem to like handling. There's a small locator tab on it that's a trifle brittle.  That tends to break when it's twisted as well.

I'm not sure where your talking about. I took the switch apart last night but nothing seemed broke and the switch still completes the circuit.

I'm all for a new horn but if the old horn isn't getting power the new one wont either :)

I took the switch apart last night but nothing seemed broke and the switch still completes the circuit.

OK, let's examine the facts.....

You've inspected the switch, and you say it completes a circuit, correct? So it ain't the switch.

And you've applied direct power to the horn, and it works as advertised, correct? So it ain' t the horn.

The horn on the Blackbird does not use a relay, so it ain't that.

Thus.... the facts suggest you have an obvious open circuit somewhere between your switch and the horn itself. Time to buy a new battery for your voltmeter, and start hunting. Good luck, let us know how you make out...

WC,

I deliberately used my horn the other day while lane-splitting and I get the distinct impression that the girls in the Acura next to me laughed so hard that they peed themselves when they heard it... :shock: :oops: :sad:

Definitely would like something with just a tad more authority than the giggle-button supplied as stock. How was the install on the 125dB and do ya have a part number for them? Lining up several winter projects... :grin: Thanks!

Jim

Warchild,

nope, didn't miss it - my interest in the 125 dB horns was solely due to the fact that you had fitted them to your Bird already and I was not really keen on the idea of possibly cutting bodywork to get the 138dB horns to fit...any insights on established fitment that would set my concerns to rest?

Jim