CBR1100XX.org Forum

Low power on 1st gear?

R1000

I dont believe so either, but I remember reading that the old school gsxr's 1100 WC had a wheelie prevention mechanism which would limit power in lower gear's. So it is possible.

On the other hand I dont have any trouble pulling the front wheel off the ground on the XX on any gear 1st-3rd so it seems unlikely.

is it low-end powerloss ( idle- 7k ) or high-end ( 7k-redline ) powerloss

I don`t have a my shop manual here,but if it has gear indicator signal going to ECU it is safe to assume the thing is tamed via different ignition maps in lower gears.

Even some really old designs use set up like that,fzr/yzf1000.

I dont believe so either, but I remember reading that the old school gsxr's 1100 WC had a wheelie prevention mechanism which would limit power in lower gear's. So it is possible.

On the other hand I dont have any trouble pulling the front wheel off the ground on the XX on any gear 1st-3rd so it seems unlikely.

3rd gear wheelie hmmm on your xx... with what mods? :icon_think: I would call bull shit but i am not sure i have never tried in 3rd.

Different methods to detune the XX have been used in countries that require horsepower restrictions. Most common is intake and exhaust restrictions, which I believe is the case in SA, France, and the few countries of the EU with limitation laws. In Japan the restrictions were hardwired into the ECU. I've not heard of any restrictions limited to first gear, but that doesn't mean that it hasn't occured in some other countries. It seems doubtful, as there's no provision on the XX to determine what gear the bike is in other than neutral, so it would have to be some sort of an add-on device whether it was manufactured by Honda or an aftermarket provider.

3rd gear wheelie hmmm on your xx... with what mods? :icon_think: I would call bull shit but i am not sure i have never tried in 3rd.

My bike has 16/46 sprockets and 155+ rwhp (uncorrected). It has a slight tendency to lift the front wheel on 3rd but I don't believe it will make an honest wheelie on 3rd without the help from a road bump. I guess the pro’s can wheelie on any gear but then the bike has to be raised initially on 1st or maybe 2nd gear.

No I havent in 3rd, because of the speed you would have to be going to keep the wheel in the air 110+mph (too dangerous for me) Just stated to prove a point. sorry for the confusion

My birds have always snapped up in 1st easily. 2nd gear is another matter...it takes MUCH effort. I usually just shift from 1-2 with the wheel in the air....2nd gear just isn't easy to pull it up unless you rev the tar out of the bike (which I hate to do).

My birds have always snapped up in 1st easily. 2nd gear is another matter...it takes MUCH effort. I usually just shift from 1-2 with the wheel in the air....2nd gear just isn't easy to pull it up unless you rev the tar out of the bike (which I hate to do).

Hmmm...interesting. I've tried chopping the throttle in the 2nd and can't get it to come up. Without standing up / bouncing it, do you need to clutch it up? That would seem like a short life expectancy on the clutch for a bike of this heft.

Honestly, me too. 2nd gear wheelies only with a hilltop or bump for compression. Still a quick bike though.

I have had several birds and this has been constant among them all...

Ive done wheelies in third it takes road conditions and clutch but comes up no problem. :icon_twisted:Second gear is a anywhere anytime deal, sometimes it takes a little clutch sometimes not.

Honestly, me too. 2nd gear wheelies only with a hilltop or bump for compression. Still a quick bike though.

Good, then it's not just me. :icon_whistle:

Second gear is a peice of cake, get it good & wound up 9k then chop, it will come up with some massaging, but by the time the wheel is up you have to balance quick or set it down, because you are out of motor (IE RPM's) of course it is dangerous as you will be approaching 90-100mph rather quickly :icon_redface:

FYI When the front wheel comes down at those speed's it will sound like an airplane touching down.

Good, then it's not just me. :icon_whistle:

Second gear is a peice of cake, get it good & wound up 9k then chop, it will come up with some massaging, but by the time the wheel is up you have to balance quick or set it down, because you are out of motor (IE RPM's) of course it is dangerous as you will be approaching 90-100mph rather quickly :icon_redface:

FYI When the front wheel comes down at those speed's it will sound like an airplane touching down.

Thanks for the info. I was kind of indirectly soliciting that information w/o sounding like a complete squid. :icon_whistle::icon_naughty: