CBR1100XX.org Forum

tranny trouble

vetteman

i think i have lost 6th gear, or at least some bits and pieces of it.

while passing under heavy throttle i started getting a jerking like the chain was slipping. i pulled off to check the chain adjustment and all was good so i nursed it home. closer to home i started to beat on it to duplicate the problem and found that it would only do it in 6th. so i get home and check the chain and sprockets further. the 16t front was worn a little bit, didnt look like it would be bad enough for the chain to slip but i put the stock one back on anyway and went for a ride with the same results. i can beat the hell out of it in any gear and its normal but in 6th it acts like the chain is slipping. i'm thinking that a few teeth are broken off.

when i got back home i drained the oil and didnt get any metal. so i fished an antenna magnet around in the pan and still got nothing.

before i spend a buttload of time ripping this thing apart, do you guys have any other ideas? is there something simple that i'm missing? can i see the gears with the pan off?

I could be all wet, but you might want to check the shifter mechanism that rotates the shift drum to make sure it's adjusted correctly. I haven't looked in the shop manual yet, but assume the XX uses a shift pawl, spring loaded device to rotate the shift drum like most of the bikes I've had apart. I doubt that it's the problem, but I'd check into it anyway before I tore things apart. Could also just be wear on the gears dogs (assuming it has them on sixth gear), rather than the gear teeth themselves - a historic problem at least with Yamaha XS11's and second gear. You might try loading the shift lever when in a sixth gear romp to see if it tries to "push out of gear".

Good Luck,

Bill

Just a thought: seems like it could be clutch slippage; hard acceleration in top gear

could cause the clutch to slip if the plates are getting worn or the springs are getting

weak. You could check the clutch push rod to be sure it's not gummed up and holding

the clutch open.

airborne, change the title to what? "please confirm my bike is fucked". i thought about that one, LOL.

keith, i have kinda written off the clutch since its only 1 gear. its strong in all others with no slippage. when i changed the sprocket the pushrod looked good. that will be something to check prior to ripping the engine out though.

bill, i'm not familiar at all with the shifter mechanism, i'll have to check the manual on that one too. it did push out of 6th earlier that day into that false neutral thingy. i attributed it to a lazy shift, only did it once. i was hard on the gas when it did and i was thinking if there are some teeth chipped thats probably when it happened. otherwise it doesnt seem to want to push out, at least not on its own. i'll try to load it if i take it for another ride and see what happens.

I would lean more toward the shifting drum or a bent shifting fork rather than a chipped gear. You would have found metal in the oil or pan with a gear. Either way you have to open the trans to make the repair. Good luck.

I would lean more toward the shifting drum or a bent shifting fork rather than a chipped gear. You would have found metal in the oil or pan with a gear. Either way you have to open the trans to make the repair. Good luck.

+1

You have a bent shift fork. Hopefully you won't need to replace the gear also. If you have to ride it, stay out of sixth. Good Luck.

looks like i have one hell of a winter project one way or another. i'll keep you guys posted but this thread will probably be 10 pages back before i get around to working on it.

thanks for the suggestions.

i was thinking about just staying out of 6th but was afraid that if there were chunks it would lead to total devistation, for the bike and myself. not really worth risking.

i started the teardown tonight. not to the point where i have pics and a parts list yet. the plastics, tank, exhaust, radiator and some misc stuff is off. i'm to the point where i need to start taking pics and marking stuff so i came in the house for masking tape and a camera and really dont feel like going back out.

tomorrow is supposed to be nice. hopefully i will get some free time to go back out and work on it. i'm probably only a couple of hours away from setting the engine on the workbench.

the clutch looked great and everything i can see from there (which isnt much) also looks great.

while i've got the engine out i'm also going to check the valve clearances, replace spark plugs, pair elimination, big bore kit & turbo <j/k on those 2, only in my dreams.

Quick guess is that the sixth gear dogs, rather than the gear teeth, are rounded off a bit. That sucks.

+1

Quick guess is that the sixth gear dogs, rather than the gear teeth, are rounded off a bit. That sucks.

+1 and fixable witha grinder and steady hand

gear dogs it is. on m6 & m3/4, also c4 is kinda wore so that one will be replaced too. doesnt look like something i want to grind. i have pixx but they wont upload. they arent really that worn, just a little bit. i was expecting to see more damage than that the way it was jerking.

the shift forks are all straight, at least to the naked eye. the center one is a bit worn i guess from the dogs pushing the gear back into it, so it will be replaced too.

i havent got a complete parts list together yet. any suggestions on where to buy the parts. i have checked ron ayers, babbitt's and honda direct line (hdl) with hdl coming in with the best prices so far.

thanxx for all the help so far.

gear dogs it is. on m6 & m3/4, also c4 is kinda wore so that one will be replaced too. doesnt look like something i want to grind. i have pixx but they wont upload. they arent really that worn, just a little bit. i was expecting to see more damage than that the way it was jerking.

the shift forks are all straight, at least to the naked eye. the center one is a bit worn i guess from the dogs pushing the gear back into it, so it will be replaced too.

i havent got a complete parts list together yet. any suggestions on where to buy the parts. i have checked ron ayers, babbitt's and honda direct line (hdl) with hdl coming in with the best prices so far.

thanxx for all the help so far.

The University Motors in Fargo is good if you tell them you are a board member here.

I have a Honda dealer here that is good to me.

If you get me a parts list I will get you a quote.

i'll get a list together and call mike this week. i have heard that name a lot on here and its always been a positive review.

I'd like to see the pics. Haven't seen the inside of a bike trans yet, or clutches, so it'd be good learning tool.

parts are ordered through mike barth @ university motors. saved quite a bit of money over the others. should be here in about a week. great guy to deal with and fast with the quote. will post in the vendor section when everything comes in ok.