CBR1100XX.org Forum

Cheap PAIR Elimination

MrBadExxample

Step 0. Reed Valve Cover - before modification

post-1763-1192897205.jpg

Step 1. Cut away the bulge at the top. Takes about 30 seconds with a cut-off wheel on a dremel tool.

post-1763-1192897311.jpg

Step 2A. 1/2" copper plug. $3.00 in the plumbing section of Lowes.

post-1763-1192897407.jpg

Step 2B. Heat copper plug with a propane torch and tap over the snout. It's a very tight fit. I couldn't get the cap on without heating it.

post-1763-1192897481.jpg

Step 3. Cap the airbox opening that feeds the PAIR valve

post-1763-1192897561.jpg

Step 4. Connect the two vacuum ports on the carbs that supply vacuum to the PAIR valve.

post-1763-1192897619.jpg

Step 5. Go destroy the environment just so you can have a cleaner cylinder head.

THIS is the cheapest, easiest method of blocking off the PAIR System, using a 1/2" rubber expansion plug. Courtesy of EVLXX:

True, if you don't mind leaving the PAIR plumbing in place. Then why do PAIR elimination at all?

what is the point of eliminating/blocking off the PAIR system? What is the gain?

I dyno'ed my '97 XX right after I pulled the PAIR system. I gained 15-20 HP, mostly in the bottom end. Also seems like the steering is a little quicker.

what is the point of eliminating/blocking off the PAIR system? What is the gain?

I dyno'ed my '97 XX right after I pulled the PAIR system. I gained 15-20 HP, mostly in the bottom end. Also seems like the steering is a little quicker.

I call bullshit. There's no way removing the PAIR system will make the 'bird steer quicker :icon_snooty:

15-20 HP just by removing the PAIR?!

I can understand the steering being quicker, but that much of a HP gain is hard for me to believe. :icon_biggrin:

Seriously, why would the HP increase so much?

15-20 HP just by removing the PAIR?!

I can understand the steering being quicker, but that much of a HP gain is hard for me to believe. :icon_biggrin:

Seriously, why would the HP increase so much?

Oops, I checked the dyno sheet again. It was actually just over 5HP on the top end and just under 10HP on the lower end. I don't know why I thought it was 15-20 HP.

Think about it, the PAIR system helps create a vacuum (or at least lower pressure) in the airbox. Once you remove it, only the engine is sucking from the airbox. The engine no longer has to compete with the PAIR system for air.

THIS is the cheapest, easiest method of blocking off the PAIR System, using a 1/2" rubber expansion plug. Courtesy of EVLXX:

Hey... there's that picture... I was looking for that one. Another member asked me about that a while ago.. and I couldn't find that picture to show him.

Thanks for posting it.

Also.. I should add, the purpose of just plugging that hole, is to disable the PAIR system for Dyno testing without haveing to spend a bunch of time and money removing the entire system. :icon_biggrin:

Hey... there's that picture... I was looking for that one. Another member asked me about that a while ago.. and I couldn't find that picture to show him.

Thanks for posting it.

Also.. I should add, the purpose of just plugging that hole, is to disable the PAIR system for Dyno testing without haveing to spend a bunch of time and money removing the entire system. :icon_biggrin:

...or you could just clip the hose. It's a lot easier. :icon_silenced:

I call bullshit. There's no way removing the PAIR system will make the 'bird steer quicker :icon_snooty:

First, it's not a huge improvement, but a slight one to be sure. Too bad there's no way to put hard numbers on steering quickness. Maybe the extra HP and less weight on the front end made improves the steering. Remember, when you remove the PAIR system your taking away weight at the top and front of the engine. I pretty sure it's not all in my head.

First, it's not a huge improvement, but a slight one to be sure. Too bad there's no way to put hard numbers on steering quickness. Maybe the extra HP and less weight on the front end made improves the steering. Remember, when you remove the PAIR system your taking away weight at the top and front of the engine. I pretty sure it's not all in my head.

Maybe Tom can explain it- :icon_wink:

I can understand the steering being quicker

Why does it increase HP? Or maybe the question should be.. Why does the PAIR system hurt HP?

Because the PAIR system dilutes the exhaust flow with a COOL charge of fresh air.

This really screws up power for a couple reasons. First the air is heavier than the exhuast gases, so it slows the particle flow down. And sencondly it's cold, which further slows the gases down inside the exhaust system.

So put simply, the cooler and heavier the exhaust gases are, the slower it travels, which equals increased backpressure, which equalls less power.

Thanks for posting it.

With what ?

What's you smokin ?

Why does it increase HP? Or maybe the question should be.. Why does the PAIR system hurt HP?

Because the PAIR system dilutes the exhaust flow with a COOL charge of fresh air.

This really screws up power for a couple reasons. First the air is heavier than the exhuast gases, so it slows the particle flow down. And sencondly it's cold, which further slows the gases down inside the exhaust system.

So put simply, the cooler and heavier the exhaust gases are, the slower it travels, which equals increased backpressure, which equalls less power.

Thanks for posting it.

With what ?

What's you smokin ?

With one of these. :icon_confused: What do you think you'd clip a hose with? Maybe you need a smoke?

gallery_2182_580_4038.jpg

gallery_2182_580_3676.jpg

gallery_2182_580_11619.jpg

gallery_2182_580_314.jpg

• 1 month later...

thanks for the bump on this mhollifi. I was considering pair removing, but hadn't wandered across this thread yet. I will be giving this a try verrrry soon. MERRY CHRISTMAS TO ALL!