CBR1100XX.org Forum

Hiding my Radar detector

RXX

I would like to conceal my radar detector for a few reasons, and I am having some amount of difficulty conceptualizing a placement for it. It seems that anywhere that it would reasonably fit would allow moisture to get at it. I guess I could get a baggie sort of thingy, but don't know how well that would work. The way I see it, the attenuation from the plastic bodywork would be no greater than from a windscreen, or does transparency play any part in its signal reception?

Has anyone hidden theirs?

Philip...anywhere behind plastic bodywork is okay. I've seen them in saddlebags. Most folks seem to mount them below the headlight. You might consider the solution of an easily removable tank bag that you can stick in a backpack or carry inside with you with the radar detector somewhat "hardmounted" inside the bag.

But keep in mind that if you rely at all on LIDAR detection, placing the detector anyplace that you can't see out of will disable that capability. LIDAR is not radio signal, its a light, and will go through a windscreen, but not bodywork.