CBR1100XX.org Forum

Chain wax build-up

marquis

Can you guys share your secrets for removing the wax that drips/flies off the chain and crystalizes on the bottom of the left panel, pipe and kickstand??? I could take a gasket scraper to it, but that seems like such a pedestrian approach :) Maybe there is some sort of chemical that'll soften it up so it could just be scooped off? Or is elbow grease the only way to get rid of it?

Thanks for any advice.

OK, I have NOT tried this...

BUT someone told me that vinegar disolves wax very easily..

I have not tried this, NOR would I consider this person an 'expert'.

Hmmm.. I use Maxima chain wax and do not seem to have this problem

Ditto. You're either over applying the stuff, or not letting it set up- like Rich said.

I'd start with a plastic putty knife and then go to a strong degreaser, like undiluted Simple Green. I agree with Conq as well, WD-40 does take the stuff off pretty good.

Thanks, everyone. I use Maxima on a hot chain and let set overnight, so :???: Must be over-applying cos I see some drip off the chain right away when I rotate it to spread the wax out. Anyway, after seeing CS's bike :shock: I don't even feel like washing mine, it ain't never going to look that good anyway :sad: Carlos :lol: