CBR1100XX.org Forum

Chain Clip or Press On Link

runner

It's never been an issue over the decades...but my most recent Tsubaki has a master link with a clip. This obviously worries me....the Honda dealer said no problem , these are designed to run with a clip and not a press-on (like I have always used on street over the past 20+ years).

Now, my dirt bikes are fine with a master link with a clip...but not a street bike (for obvious safety reasons).

Long story short, I have tossed the clip twice over the past week ...and now forced the dealer to install a press-on link.

So, have any of you ever run a master link with a clip...and not had any issues?

Others may chime in with a more technical explaination on this. But from my several years of reading this board almost everyday, I would NOT use a master clip. A correctly installed press on link in the only way to go with this type of bike producing this type of horsepower and torque.

My 0.02

Kinley

I've never had any issues on the street with clip-style links as long as they were put on correctly (It must go on opposite the chain rotation) and carefully. If the clip is bent too much and doesn't fit snuggly, use a new one. One of my blackbirds is for drag racing only and I have also pitched the clip before. Now I silicone the thing after install and it stays put. For street duty, I would go with (and I have) the rivet-style. They're just the safer way to go.

:icon_popcorn:

Just zip-tie the damn thing and ride. That, some WD40 and some duct tape and you'll be fine! :icon_smile:

Note to self, don't go with a Tsubaki.

I have seen many chains break at the drag strip and it dont matter what kind of master link they used. I personally have never had a chain come off and I use both types. I did on my 900RR lose the clip part of the link and the chain didnt come off. Not sure how long I was riding around before I found out. Call me lucky I guess.

I had a Tsubaki clip-type on my XX for 20,000 miles and I destroyed the clip trying to get it off. It would have taken less time to cut the chain off with a grinder or use a chain breaker on another link. I now have, guess what, another clip-type Tsubaki on there.

That link is SCARY looking, but, like he said, doesn't know if it's clip or rivet type. Gold sideplates makes me think it's a DID or an EK, both of which are plenty strong (if it was actually purchased with the correct tensile strength for an XX) and neither one is available with a clip-type master link. That being the case, it means master link failure, probably caused by incorrect installation, which is EXACTLY why I don't use a rivet-type master link as I have explained in other threads. I don't have the tools or the training for that, I don't trust any of the local shops to do it (read: the dealer), and I don't know anybody around here that I would trust to do it. So that leaves me with flying in one of you guys, or putting a clip-type on. Tickets to fly into and out of Mobile cost more than my entire motorcycle, so do the math.... :icon_neutral:

If I would have seen this post a few weeks ago I would have said go with the rivet type but I just had a rivet type let go on me last week or so. Bottom line is what ever you choose make sure it's installed correctly.

If I would have seen this post a few weeks ago I would have said go with the rivet type but I just had a rivet type let go on me last week or so. Bottom line is what ever you choose make sure it's installed correctly.

+1

Ok my chain is shot at 25,000 and I just pulled out my official shop manual which shows a special tool sold by Honda for removal and installation of a chain. Has anyone bought this? Does it work well? Are there aftermarket ones that are just as good or better? I am writing a "how to" article for a magazine on changing chain and sprockets and want to show the best way. Any and all input greatly appreciated.

Clip

Stupid thing has been there since I had it installed. I lube the crap out of the chain and I clean it fairly regularly with a brush and kerosene. 20K+ on the chain with absolutely no issues. It's a gold side plate chain but the brand name escapes me and I'm too lazy to look. I don't race with it, but I am heavy on the throttle and I play in the mountain twisties when I can. I figure if it hasn't let go yet, it won't till I replace it whenever it wears out. When I finally replace it, I will most likely go DID and get the press tool and install it myself, but my experience shows that a properly installed clip under 'normal' use should cause no issues.

I am reminded of the word overkill in this instance, but then again it is a blackbird :icon_whistle: If it doesn't cost a lot more or isn't significantly more of a pain in the ass to install, I don't see why not go with a rivet, but a clip seems good enough in my book.

+1

With a clip, never reuse an old one. Keep few spares in your travel tool kit.

Make sure the link is all the way through so the grooves are fully exposed.

The plate has to be all the way on. Spray some WD40 to help the process.

I always put the round end towards the direction of travel.

Don't bend the clip when you put it on. If it bends - go to the backup.

A spare clip type master may get you home one day no matter what type master you currently have.

I've used clip types on the XX before, but safety wired.

When I got my XX it also had a clip link that was safety wired, and I put about 10,000 miles on it before I bought a chain tool kit, and did the rivet link. I really don't think it would have given any problems, but it was always in the back of my mind, so for the peace of mind I spent the money for the tool kit and did the rivet.