CBR1100XX.org Forum

Auto-choke not working

silverbird1100

This is the strangest damn thing. Easily my favorite part of a FI bike is that it warms itself up. My bike when I start it up cold is idleing at about 1K instead of 1600. I doesn't die or anything but it's not doing what it''s done every single solitary time I've started it from cold since day 1. I put a new power commander in a few months ago but this just started 4000miles later.

YOur wax unit may be failing but, I suspect, it is just the warmer temperatures in the morning causing this.

Mine will raise the cold idle just a little on a 70 degree morning, around 1150 or so but then it falls right back down to 900 till the engine gets to about 170 degrees coolant temperature and then it picks up to normal 1050 RPM.

On a hot morning, >85 degrees, no cold start at all.

The wax unit controls the opening of the throttles, ECU controls the mixture based on inlet air temperature. If the bike is sitting in the sun, the inlet air temperature could creep up enough so the motor will be a bit lean for ideal running when it is cold, that will drop the idle RPM.

Started mine after an overnight sit, air temperature was 81 degrees. Idle was at 1200 RPM and gradually went down in <1 minute to 950 or so and then, as the motor fully warmed (a couple of blocks) it returned to 1050.

So long as your bike is starting, I wouldn't worry over much about idle speed. Only time I have ever had cold idle as high as 1500 was the day I bought the bike. It was about 39 deg outside.

Remember, this isn't a choke, just a fast idle device. Fuel mixture is taken care of by the inlet air temperature and coolant temperature sensors along with the MAP sensor.

Out of curiosity, what was the temperature when you started the bike?

Started mine after an overnight sit, air temperature was 81 degrees. Idle was at 1200 RPM and gradually went down in <1 minute to 950 or so and then, as the motor fully warmed (a couple of blocks) it returned to 1050.

So long as your bike is starting, I wouldn't worry over much about idle speed. Only time I have ever had cold idle as high as 1500 was the day I bought the bike. It was about 39 deg outside.

Remember, this isn't a choke, just a fast idle device. Fuel mixture is taken care of by the inlet air temperature and coolant temperature sensors along with the MAP sensor.

It doesn't matter if it's 50F or 80F. It's idle's the same speed from sitting in the cold overnight to 228F. It ALWAYS ised to idle high when starting up. Something is different, I'm positive

It doesn't matter if it's 50F or 80F. It's idle's the same speed from sitting in the cold overnight to 228F. It ALWAYS ised to idle high when starting up. Something is different, I'm positive

That statement would lead me to think the originally, your wax unit was not operating correctly. Sounds like it is fine now. You'll have to wait for cooler weather to see if the idle speed comes back up. The way the unit works should cause a variation in fast idle with ambient temperature. The colder the temp, the higher the idle. It should not ALWAYS go to 1500 RPM. It certainly shouldn't even come into play if the coolant temperature is at 228 deg F. Mine backs off at about 130-150 deg coolant temperature, sometimes a bit earlier if the ambient is high.

That statement would lead me to think the originally, your wax unit was not operating correctly. Sounds like it is fine now. You'll have to wait for cooler weather to see if the idle speed comes back up. The way the unit works should cause a variation in fast idle with ambient temperature. The colder the temp, the higher the idle. It should not ALWAYS go to 1500 RPM. It certainly shouldn't even come into play if the coolant temperature is at 228 deg F. Mine backs off at about 130-150 deg coolant temperature, sometimes a bit earlier if the ambient is high.

I can't see how that's possible since my 600RR, 929, 954, buddy's CBR1000 and Dad's ST1300 and Goldwing all do it the way mine used but not any more.

So go buy a new wax unit and install it.

There are procedures for testing in the service manual, check them out first.

I'm in Florida, you're in Colorado, might be a slight difference in climate. I have no issues with mine and it works exactly as I described. The GW is carbed so a different animal.

I have the same problem,it has happened before,was just stuck.I don`t really remember what I did to fix it as it was many years ago.Lubricated/cleaned some rod I guess.

I`m gonna investigate the problem tomorrow,so just relax and wait. :icon_neutral:

BTW,it`s funny,mine started doing that while I was in Colorado.

I have the same problem,it has happened before,was just stuck.I don`t really remember what I did to fix it as it was many years ago.Lubricated/cleaned some rod I guess.

I`m gonna investigate the problem tomorrow,so just relax and wait. :icon_neutral:

BTW,it`s funny,mine started doing that while I was in Colorado.

Cool, if I decide to buy a new one, what's it listed as in the fiche?

Throttle body,part # 8.That what it looks like.

I`m dragging my ass out of the bed right now,,,,,,,,,I might just needs to be taken apart and cleaned,,,,,,,,,

Later.

• 1 month later...

I`m dragging my ass out of the bed right now,,,,,,,,,I might just needs to be taken apart and cleaned,,,,,,,,,

Later.

I'm all about taking apart and cleaning. Thanks and let me know :icon_smile:

Well,better late then never. I finally got it fixed.I was gonna take a picture,but,of course,battery was dead.Murphy`s Law never fails.Basically it would be part 16 with everything that goes into it.

There is a rubber booth with wire clamp,slide them both out of valve`s body,grab that small rod with pair of pliers and try to move it back and forward while spraying,let`s say wd40,on the part of rod that goes into the valve.Replace the both and clamp.

That is it,it should free the rod and you cold idle speed will be back.

Later.

I'm all about taking apart and cleaning. Thanks and let me know :icon_smile:

Well,better late then never. I finally got it fixed.I was gonna take a picture,but,of course,battery was dead.Murphy`s Law never fails.Basically it would be part 16 with everything that goes into it.

There is a rubber booth with wire clamp,slide them both out of valve`s body,grab that small rod with pair of pliers and try to move it back and forward while spraying,let`s say wd40,on the part of rod that goes into the valve.Replace the both and clamp.

That is it,it should free the rod and you cold idle speed will be back.

Cool, Thank You!