CBR1100XX.org Forum

Rev Limiter Question

mrak26

I unintentionally hit the rev limiter today and was wondering if I could have potentionally done some damage. It was the first time and I won't be making a habit of it. I don't know how long I was there for as I was not paying attention to the tach. I was entering an interstate in 3rd at approx. 5K and rolled on the throttle, roughly 1/2 of a mile later the bike had a complete power loss. I have no idea how long I had been there. The engine did not quit and as soon as I up shifted power was restored but it was not a good feeling to have the power unexpectedly cut off like that. It felt as if I had taken my hand completely off the throttle. The bike ran perfectly the rest of the afternoon but I need to hear from the XXperts that I did nothing that they themselves have not done or can speculate on. I can count on one hand the # of times the bike has seen redline much less the limiter, if that is in fact what that was, and I'm looking for a little confirmation as to what caused the power loss and any damage that could have possibly resulted as well as any preventative maintenance that need be performed as a result. Thanks for any insight.

I've ridden in Wisconsin quite a bit, and I've found that while the horn gets no reaction out of cows, their reaction to the rev limiter is quite gratifying. :icon_twisted:

As said, you have nothing to worry about.

You guys remember Jerry sitting around at NeXXt and randomly getting up starting his bike and holding the throttle wide open with the engine hitting the rev limiter for what seemed like minutes? :icon_biggrin: It had no effect what so ever on his engine. That's what it's there for.

In fact I say one must buonce of the limiter at least once a week. Keeps the carbon deposits at a minimum. I'm absolutely serious mrak26.

I unintentionally hit the rev limiter today and was wondering if I could have potentionally done some damage. It was the first time and I won't be making a habit of it. I don't know how long I was there for as I was not paying attention to the tach. I was entering an interstate in 3rd at approx. 5K and rolled on the throttle, roughly 1/2 of a mile later the bike had a complete power loss. I have no idea how long I had been there. The engine did not quit and as soon as I up shifted power was restored but it was not a good feeling to have the power unexpectedly cut off like that. It felt as if I had taken my hand completely off the throttle. The bike ran perfectly the rest of the afternoon but I need to hear from the XXperts that I did nothing that they themselves have not done or can speculate on. I can count on one hand the # of times the bike has seen redline much less the limiter, if that is in fact what that was, and I'm looking for a little confirmation as to what caused the power loss and any damage that could have possibly resulted as well as any preventative maintenance that need be performed as a result. Thanks for any insight.

Your fucked!!!!

Ill give you $1000 for it right now

Your fucked!!!!

Deal...where would you like the limiter shipped?

Your fucked!!!!

Good answer :icon_lol:

Oh and that's not the first time that bike has hit the rev limiter :icon_whistle:

:icon_twisted:

:icon_nana:

just kidding

Your fucked!!!!

Good answer :icon_lol:

Oh and that's not the first time that bike has hit the rev limiter :icon_whistle:

:icon_twisted:

:icon_nana:

just kidding

Your right...I had overlooked your test ride.

I had my XX hit the limiter in first a couple of times for a couple of seconds the other day while out riding and pulling wheelies :icon_evilgrin: just backed her off slightly, changed up and lofted the front again :icon_twisted: If anything the bike seems to be running better than it was :icon_whistle:

I was interested to read your post. I have a 99 and recently purchased a 98 and had a very similar experience. I regularly go up against the rev limiter on my 99 but just for shits and giggles decided to see where it was on the 98. It was a totally different experience. It was in the top of third gear and instead of flattening out it was as if the ignition was turned off. It was so sudden the damn thing actually fishtailed on me before I pulled in the clutch and shifted into fourth.

At first I thought that the run/stop switch messed up and actually cut the ignition but the rev limiter acts totally different between the two bikes.

Never would have expected it.