CBR1100XX.org Forum

Dumb muffler question

RXX

Since the headers converge into a single pipe, why couldn't a fellow just close off one side and run the bike through one stock muffler? I understand the flow might be a problem, but how bad?

I am thinking the same thing about my MINI.....at the cat it flares out to 2 systems. Why keep the extra weight?

It is a question of noise vs flow.System with dual mufflers can be made powerfull while still passing EPA noise test,,,,,,,,that why many cars and bikes come with dual cans.

That plus bling factor.,,,,,,It basically comes down to size of muffler,duals or huge single cans like on Warrior,C14,new gixxer 1000,etc.

Those big and heave stock systems flow very well,typically you only gain couple hp now by going to aftermarket headers,but there are some weight savings.

15-20 years ago good header and jet kit would give 10% jump,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,those days are long gone,,,,,,,,stock exhausts are very good now,,,,,,

I really like the looks of the Arka with the black can. Too bad that it don't list it.

You can most likely get one, I think the Akro mufflers will swap around. Get the titanium one, carbon fiber ones don't last as long.

Probably not listed on the web page because slowly but surely aftermarket products for the Bird are drying up here in the states.