CBR1100XX.org Forum

2nd gear issue's ?

CxBXR

The other day I was riding in 2nd at 9k+ on the tach & held it there for a minute (or 2

) in traffic & started to notice a jerk/yanking affect going on- anyone else try this & have the same effect ? Is this normal ?

My chain is properly adjusted, & my sprocket's are newish. Any ideas why this is ?

Oh also I have a manual radiator fan that I forgot to turn-on the other day in traffic & when I glanced down, it was flashing & indicated 258* degrees (hot-hot-hot), the indicator flashes or blinks at 250* degrees incase anyone didnt know (BTW this did not happen on the same day just thought I would share how hot she got.).

The other day I was riding in 2nd at 9k+ on the tach & held it there for a minute (or 2

) in traffic & started to notice a jerk/yanking affect going on- anyone else try this & have the same effect ? Is this normal ?

My chain is properly adjusted, & my sprocket's are newish. Any ideas why this is ?

Oh also I have a manual radiator fan that I forgot to turn-on the other day in traffic & when I glanced down, it was flashing & indicated 258* degrees (hot-hot-hot), the indicator flashes or blinks at 250* degrees incase anyone didnt know (BTW this did not happen on the same day just thought I would share how hot she got.).

Are you sure its just second gear? As a test, maybe you could try first gear at 10 grand for a couple of minutes and see if you get the same jerking sensation.

Are you sure its just second gear? As a test, maybe you could try first gear at 10 grand for a couple of minutes and see if you get the same jerking sensation.

:icon_lmao: :icon_funnysign: :icon_lmao:

Well first off it wasnt 2+ minutes, my initial comment was alittle exagerated more like 1< minute, but held there long enough to feel the jerk/yank affect, which dosent take long you will notice it almost instantly at 9K.

Really is there a big problem with going that high on the tach ? There are plenty of guy's/member's here doing that easily on top-speed run's & for far longer time's than I wrote earlier.

You would think at 11,4XX post on the board you would have a more logical answer than something smartelec.

I will say that not everyone ride's the same way & may not agree with the way another person ride's/drives, but get over it.

You would think at 11,4XX post on the board you would have a more logical answer than something smartelec.

I will say that not everyone ride's the same way & may not agree with the way another person ride's/drives, but get over it.

Lighten up Francis!

:icon_biggrin:

Oh also I have a manual radiator fan that I forgot to turn-on the other day in traffic & when I glanced down, it was flashing & indicated 258* degrees (hot-hot-hot), the indicator flashes or blinks at 250* degrees in case anyone didn't know (BTW this did not happen on the same day just thought I would share how hot she got.).

I will say that not everyone rides the same way & may not agree with the way another person rides/drives, but get over it.

I think that Joe's response was more of a "WHY" would you hold it at those revs for that long :icon_naughty: I actually held mine for ~ 20 seconds in first at ~4500rpm yesterday while following a dumb arse in a cage waiting for the broken lines so I could rocket past ( could have used a higher gear but was thinking of this post :icon_surprised: ) and even at 4500 there was a jerkiness :icon_confused: I put it down to a couple of things 1) a loose worn chain , 2) the engine being very sensitive to small throttle variations at higher rpm's in lower gears :icon_confused: I don't really believe that it is a problem just something that you found unusual because normally you are accelerating through those rpm ranges quickly and not holding them in a low gear

That's enough pun, really why does this happen ? Any idea's.

At least I wasnt one of the member's thinking I was gonna get 20+hp from a set of slip-on's, com-on guy's really.

Hmmmmmm.... who's the smartalec ?

There's lots of people here that would probably help you, but getting short with them right off the bat isn't going to help you any.

So I'll disreguard your comments and add..

It sounds like you had a Fuel delivery issue, or at least that's my best guess, with the limited amount of info you provided.

Things could also have wieght in the matter, internal engine heat at 9K is really high, Fuel delivery, traveling speed, outside air tempureture, humidity, radiator fluid condition, etc.

Running a bike, any bike, at high RPM's, and low travel speeds for long time periods can very quickly cause localized over heating, and result in conditions like, Valve stretch, and poor restrictive intake flow.

... So my advise, don't worry about it to much, it's probably more you're abusive riding style at the time than any mechanical defect.

Next time..... "Shift".

Reading this I also wondered why you would stay in 2nd gear @ 9k+in traffic. :icon_confused: Its not like you are going to accellerate around anyone very quickly without having to shift gears. About the only thing you might accomplish is irritating those around you with your engine screaming at 9000 RPM.

What speed is 9000 rpm in 2nd gear?

I must have been in 1st gear then, I dont think there is any traffic at 80mph :icon_redface: my bad, I might have been blowing off a little steam that afternoon would be the reason, sorry for the wrong info.

My reply to you was spot on.

There's nothing in the mechanicals or fuel management of the bike which ties your situation directly to second gear (or any gear, for that matter). Therefore, a realistic diagnostic test would be to recreate the symptoms under a different condition (such as using a different gear). Once you have two sets of results, you can compare and begin the process of elimination.

The only mechanical explanation for your symptoms would be missing teeth or dogs from the second gear set. However, something of that magnitude would manifest itself every time you were in second gear (or whatever gear you decide you were in----"traffic" can be defined in many ways), and if not, is probably not the cause.

For the sake of the argument, lets then assume you were traveling 50mph in first gear at high rpm. Horsepower necessary to move you = 12-15, give or take. At 9000 rpm your engine is efficient and strong, capable of producing over 100 horsepower. To drive that "slowly" relative to the rpm, there's virtually no load on the motor, and minimal throttle settings would be necessary. So little throttle may be used that any miniscule change in throttle position would result in a slight accel or decel, creating a jerking, or at least a sensation of uneven power delivery. The other possible cause is again with that minimal throttle setting, the air fuel mixture is really weak, and the engine is experiencing a lean surge. Either way, the condition you describe would be present.

My reply to you was spot on.

There's nothing in the mechanicals or fuel management of the bike which ties your situation directly to second gear (or any gear, for that matter). Therefore, a realistic diagnostic test would be to recreate the symptoms under a different condition (such as using a different gear). Once you have two sets of results, you can compare and begin the process of elimination.

The only mechanical explanation for your symptoms would be missing teeth or dogs from the second gear set. However, something of that magnitude would manifest itself every time you were in second gear (or whatever gear you decide you were in----"traffic" can be defined in many ways), and if not, is probably not the cause.

For the sake of the argument, lets then assume you were traveling 50mph in first gear at high rpm. Horsepower necessary to move you = 12-15, give or take. At 9000 rpm your engine is efficient and strong, capable of producing over 100 horsepower. To drive that "slowly" relative to the rpm, there's virtually no load on the motor, and minimal throttle settings would be necessary. So little throttle may be used that any miniscule change in throttle position would result in a slight accel or decel, creating a jerking, or at least a sensation of uneven power delivery. The other possible cause is again with that minimal throttle setting, the air fuel mixture is really weak, and the engine is experiencing a lean surge. Either way, the condition you describe would be present.

Yes thank you for that answer,I believe you "nailed it", Oh & sorry for calling you a "smartelec". Guess I kindoff took thing's of out contexxt. Thanks again Matt.