CBR1100XX.org Forum

Power Commander for Stock XX

nickc2s

Would a Power Commander on an 03 XX with stock exhaust have any benefits or would I be going backwards(again)?

Without actually owning a FI XX ( mines carb) from what I have read you will get slightly better running if a PC3 is used with an O2 block off and if set up on a dyno as it will adjust the fuelling for every part of the rev range so it is optimum not just to suit emission requirements :icon_surprised: Whether it is worth it versus cost is something you will need to decide :icon_confused:

Would a Power Commander on an 03 XX with stock exhaust have any benefits or would I be going backwards(again)?

From my experience... don't waste your money! For a PC-III to do any good, you'll have to have the bike put on a dyno so it can be properly mapped. The problem then becomes, finding a dyno operated by someone who actually knows what they're doing (cost: $250 -$300, whether they know what they're doing or not!). I got so disgusted with the whole process I sold the PC-III.

Best investment you can make in your 'Bird is a decent pair of slip-on mufflers. Will save you 20 or 30 pounds over stock, give you a little increase in performance, probably a little better mileage, too, and... sound way cool! :icon_thumbsup: Oh... and no PC required!

Just my 2-cents!

I put a PC CommanderIII on my 99 and it really woke it up. The only modifications are a pipe and air filter and it made a very noticable difference. I downloaded a posted map with similar changes and lucked out. It is close to the factory map with a few leaner settings. The accelerator pump option made a difference also.

I am happy with mine but would like to get it on a dyno someday to get it set up properly.

I have a '99 with a D&D single can and a K&N airfilter. They came with the bike when I got it. I also got both stock mufflers and the header with the bike. I've wondered what I am missing by not having a PC or other such thing. I like the performance just fine but have that nagging suspicion that it is not all it could be. I'm not trying to set a land speed record or the best 1/4 mile time, this is my daily commuter after all, but am I getting the most of the K&N and D&D? Hell, could I get better gas mileage? Not that that is all that crucial, but what if?

What the hell am I worried about? I live and work in Houston, my number one concern right now is the temp gauge! I know I'm ok as long is it doesn't get past the white line on top but damn I hate seeing the needle live up there on the ride home. Stupid traffic!! Don't they know me and my baby need to MOVE?

Oh well.....

Train

I have a '99 with a D&D single can and a K&N airfilter. They came with the bike when I got it. I also got both stock mufflers and the header with the bike. I've wondered what I am missing by not having a PC or other such thing. I like the performance just fine but have that nagging suspicion that it is not all it could be. I'm not trying to set a land speed record or the best 1/4 mile time, this is my daily commuter after all, but am I getting the most of the K&N and D&D? Hell, could I get better gas mileage? Not that that is all that crucial, but what if?

What the hell am I worried about? I live and work in Houston, my number one concern right now is the temp gauge! I know I'm ok as long is it doesn't get past the white line on top but damn I hate seeing the needle live up there on the ride home. Stupid traffic!! Don't they know me and my baby need to MOVE?

Oh well.....

Train

I am in Puerto Rico and my '99 runs hot too, in stop and go... Comes right down with speed though. We can split traffic unlike you but we must wear a helmet. I flushed the cooling system and keep the radiater front clean. Still is hot sitting in traffic on a 85+ day.

CCTX-

Did you install the PCIII and set it up or did a shop handle that for you? I'm assuming that the D&D/KN combo is common enough that I could find a map to use online or from one of our fine companions here. Anyone?

I've had the bike for 3K and have always thought it smelled rich, if that makes any sense. I just about to hit the 14K total miles mark and am considering what all needs to be done/checked and if, when the bike is getting her 15K service work, adding a PCIII is a worth while expense. What do you mean by "really woke up" your bike?

Train

CCTX-

Did you install the PCIII and set it up or did a shop handle that for you? I'm assuming that the D&D/KN combo is common enough that I could find a map to use online or from one of our fine companions here. Anyone?

I've had the bike for 3K and have always thought it smelled rich, if that makes any sense. I just about to hit the 14K total miles mark and am considering what all needs to be done/checked and if, when the bike is getting her 15K service work, adding a PCIII is a worth while expense. What do you mean by "really woke up" your bike?

Train

It sounds like you have my bike... I have a 99 with a D&D and K&N airfilter also, although I do not see how that airfilter makes any difference.

I bought the PCIII awhile back in a group buy and installed it myself. I downloaded a map with a similar setup and have been happy with it. I did look at ALL the differences in the original and replacement map to make sure there did not seem to be anything stupid going on. It would be very easy to screw something up if you are not careful. I did notice that the replacement map was more lean than rich across the range compared to the stock map. Other than installing the downloaded map, I have not made any tweeks but plan in the near future to get this thing to a dyno and see where we are at.

The first thing I noticed was better off idle throttle response. The PCIII has a accelerator pump feature that helps the fuel injected bikes in that respect. The overall powerband seemed more linear without that 5000 rpm flatspot. There was definitely a "seat of the pants" improvement. An example would be the rpm that the bike would power wheelie dropped from 7500 or so down to 5500 or 6000 and it comes up much harder. It will come up hard just off idle if you hammer it and will slap the shit out of you if you are not ready. The mileage has never impressed me but I did not seem to notice any difference. I do not have much experience with other Birds but I just picked up a 98 and I can say that my 99 runs way better.

You can PM me if that did not address all your concerns.

See you at TeXXt!

I installed a PCIIIUSB this week on my stock 2003 Bird and to me it made a substantial difference. I'm 58 and just got back into riding after suffering some body damage (mine) when I down hard on my CBR929RR about four years ago doing some Colorado twisties. Needless to say my skills were a bit rusty after such a long layoff and while I've had had a XX perviouslly, my throttle control was not exacly smooth as silk. The PCIII really smoothed everthing out and it also seems to run quite a bit stronger so I'm quite happy with the results. I'm sure I'll make other changes, like exhaust etc, so I'll be ready for those as well. BTW I got mine for $248 with no shipping from Absolute Cycle Performance in NJ which was the best price I could find.

The point of using a PCIII is to allow fine tuning of the air/fuel ratio so as to maximize power.

I've seen a number of different stock XX dyno sheets, some ran rich and some ran lean.

Unless you put the bike on a dyno and tune the air/fuel at each specific rpm in relation to throttle position you're wasting you money.

If you're the kind that likes to tinker you can buy a wide band O2 sensor with a data logger and do it yourself for about the same money as what some shops charge.

I've had the bike for 3K and have always thought it smelled rich, if that makes any sense.

I have an '02 with Yoshimura slip-ons. Two people told me that they could smell my exhaust from dozens of yards behind when the bike was under heavy acceleration. Subsequent research on this forum indicated that the bird tends to run rich, and that most PCIII maps would lean it out. I used that as my excuse to buy a Power Commander, and no longer can anyone smell my exhaust. The increase in power was noticeable, but not nearly as dramatic as some have reported. Of course, I've never had the bike dyno'd or tweaked.

I have an 2002 and have two brother slipons, k&n air filter, and usbIII power commander, my buddy has a stock 1999 and will kick my ass up and down the road you tell me!!! my bike is mapped and everything has been checked and rechecked I have 6K miles he has 36K miles I am at a loss for words. Not to mention I am the better rider by far but his bike is stock, older and 6X the miles and is faster than mine

I have an 2002 and have two brother slipons, k&n air filter, and usbIII power commander, my buddy has a stock 1999 and will kick my ass up and down the road you tell me!!! my bike is mapped and everything has been checked and rechecked I have 6K miles he has 36K miles I am at a loss for words. Not to mention I am the better rider by far but his bike is stock, older and 6X the miles and is faster than mine

Sounds like his was broken in the right way instead of being babied. :icon_whistle:

Not meant as a dig at you, more the nay sayers who believe bikes need to be babied

Sounds like his was broken in the right way instead of being babied. :icon_whistle:

Not meant as a dig at you, more the nay sayers who believe bikes need to be babied

More to that, I was still getting high "break-in" metals in my oil until about 12k miles, so the engine wasn't completely broken in until ~15k miles anyway... I'm pretty sure mine is faster than when I bought it at 5k miles, and I've currently got about ~48k miles on it...

Mike

Remove the PC-III! ...you'll probably kick his ass! :icon_thumbsup:

my buddy has a stock 1999 and will kick my ass up and down the road

I'm sure he'd like you to believe that......

I have ridden his and mine and raced with me on mine and him on his and he won so we switched bike same out come his 1999 beat my 02', I ride the bike fairly hard it is less than babied, however I still take care of it but I ride it hard, she likes it like that