CBR1100XX.org Forum

16/46 instead of 17/44 gearing

R1000

I've just ordered a 46-tooth rear sprocket, couldn't resist trying a 16/46 instead of stock 17/44 gearing. This will provide about 11% more torque on the rear wheel. The bird is heavy and I think this will be a real nice combination. It will be about the same high-rpm gearing as on sport bikes, which I’m used to.

Any one using the 16/46 combo now on the bird and can tell how it feels vs. the stock gearing?

I've just ordered a 46-tooth rear sprocket, couldn't resist trying a 16/46 instead of stock 17/44 gearing. This will provide about 11% more torque on the rear wheel. The bird is heavy and I think this will be a real nice combination. It will be about the same high-rpm gearing as on sport bikes, which I’m used to.

Any one using the 16/46 combo now on the bird and can tell how it feels vs. the stock gearing?

Isn't the stock gearing a 17/45 combo???

North American machines are/were supplied only with 17/45 gearing. From chatting with other folks, I believe that rear sprockets of either 44 or 45 were available options in some other continents...Australia was the first example I encountered.

Gearing doesn't give you more torque.....it simply changes the relationship between the road and engine speed at which that torque is delivered.

I have 16/46. My Bird is just my play bike and I don't put many miles on it at a time (have another bike for that) so I like it. If I were doing longer trips (200-500 miles), I would have stock gearing. I guess it is like riding around in 5th gear on the open road.

I'm currently on 15/45 and that puppy is a monster. It takes some getting used to, as the speedo is WAY off and you have to shift more, but the power is always there. The downside is that you end up wearing out front sprockets faster than chains, so I won't do it again.

I actually have a 12/47 combo in the garage that is used for my slick/wheelie bar combo, but it's only been on the bike one time. You better be on your toes when you get on that combo, as gear changes come very rapidly! The part where the chain rides is nearly flush with the output shaft sprocket, as it is the smallest sprocket that will fit a bird.

.......Gearing doesn't give you more torque.....it simply changes the relationship between the road and engine speed at which that torque is delivered.

:icon_nono: Gearing for more rpm definitly gives you more torque on the rear wheel. If you change the gearing e.g. for 10% more rpm, the torque at the rear wheel will increase with exactly 10% on all gears. You dont get free dinners though, the price is -10% speed on all gears.