CBR1100XX.org Forum

Turned 70k...then she died!

XBBX

Greetings from my clouded confused mind.....Was out on the Bird when she died a few miles past 70k. Gauges started flaking out due to sub 12v. Shut her off to check battery connections but wouldn't fire after that. Fired after resting for 1 hour. When I got home, I charged the battery and reinstalled. I then put a meter across the battery with the bike running at about 2500 rpm and was not getting charging volts of 13+ DC. I originally thought reg\rec but when I measured the 3 leads from the stator I was not getting 50v AC. I measured resistance of stator coils and was good. Also checked for short to ground-also ok. Went over connectors from stator to reg\rec. I'm thinking I need to replace stator? Easy job but Honda wants $250 for the stator. Maybe I should check boneyard?

thx for any reply....

Greetings from my clouded confused mind.....Was out on the Bird when she died a few miles past 70k. Gauges started flaking out due to sub 12v. Shut her off to check battery connections but wouldn't fire after that. Fired after resting for 1 hour. When I got home, I charged battery. I then put a meter across the battery with the bike running at about 2500 rpm and was not getting charging volts of 13+ DC. I originally thought reg\rec but when I measured the 3 leads from the stator I was not getting 50v AC. I measured resistance of stator coils and was good. Also checked for short to ground-also ok. Went over connectors from stator to reg\rec. I'm thinking I need to replace stator? Easy job but Honda wants $250 for the stator. Maybe I should check boneyard?

thx for any reply....

Just got a stator from University Motors for my 97 for around $150. That + a R1 reg/rec for $50 and you basically have a new charging system for less than what you were quoted for a stator.

Greetings from my clouded confused mind.....Was out on the Bird when she died a few miles past 70k. Gauges started flaking out due to sub 12v. Shut her off to check battery connections but wouldn't fire after that. Fired after resting for 1 hour. When I got home, I charged the battery and reinstalled. I then put a meter across the battery with the bike running at about 2500 rpm and was not getting charging volts of 13+ DC. I originally thought reg\rec but when I measured the 3 leads from the stator I was not getting 50v AC. I measured resistance of stator coils and was good. Also checked for short to ground-also ok. Went over connectors from stator to reg\rec. I'm thinking I need to replace stator? Easy job but Honda wants $250 for the stator. Maybe I should check boneyard?

thx for any reply....

Doesnt John at Jaws have stator kits? I got a used reg rectifier if you need one!

thx for any reply....

What are you complaining about, atleast it wasn't your tool bungee breaking. That is a major repair!

John, Jaws, carries both the Aftermarket R/R and Stator that are plug and play. Both units are more durable than OEM and the Stators put out slightly higher amperage for those added accessories.

I currently have an order in for both the R/R and Stator from him that I will be keeping in Stock at Bike Bits but my first order won't be here for another 2 weeks or so.

You can check out pictures of his stuff at www.Jaws-Motorcycles.co.uk

Click on the "BlackBird Page"